Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What should a NCAA baseball noob need to know?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey now, lighten up on Coach Butler. He's seen the error of his ways and signed three guys in November who are shorter than 6 feet. Color me surprised but this is the first step of many that Butler is taking to right the ship. Who's with me on this?!

Comment

After 4 years, a 106-128 record, MVC finishes of 4th twice, 5th, and 6th, only finishing above .500 one time (his first year), the HCTB ship has sailed...

Now if we all of a sudden have three guys that have breakout years on offense, PCMS pulls another rabbit out of his hat and lowers the ERA another point, we finish in the top 5 in the AAC, and finish over .500 for the year and in the AAC, I might consider giving HCTB one more year but I think we have all seen enough to know that he isn't the long term answer for WSU.
      Last edited by shockfan89_; December 13, 2017, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Here is what I thought was a pretty decent interview of HCTB by someone who seemed to be associated with or at least very knowledgeable about the Cape Cod League. Talked about Gene's legacy, moving to the AAC and how that is impacting recruiting, talked about Greyson Jenista, Alec Bohm, Trey Vickers, Luke Ritter, Travis Young, Alex Jackson and Dayton Dugas among position players.

Greyson will play CF for the Shocks this year.

Interviewer mentioned that Shocks may have the best All-Airport team in the country.

On the pitching staff talked about Codi Heuer and Connor Lungwitz as likely Friday and Saturday starters. 4 or 5 guys are candidates for the Sunday slot. Seemed to like Cody Tyler and Alex Segal as the best candidates. Freshman Liam Eddy and Paxton Wallace were also mentioned as possilbe mid-week guys.

Those who have written HCTB off probably shouldn't waste their time though. Nothing reallly earthshaking.

Explore the largest community of artists, bands, podcasters and creators of music & audio

Comment

• shockfan89_
          shockfan89_ commented
          Editing a comment
          So a guy who played 1B all last year is now our starting CF? Awesome

Codi and Connor had 4 combined starts between them last year and a total of just under 66 innings. Connor only lasted over 2 1/3 innings one time last year. Codi went 3 innings 3 times and then had one outing of 6 innings late in the year. Pitching can vary a lot from year to year, these guys are tall and have big arms but not a lot of experience in the Fri / Sat slots.
          Last edited by shockfan89_; December 14, 2017, 09:09 AM.

I'm not going to pump sunshine, but it would be nice if we could have our #1 healthy etc just ONCE in the HCTB era.

And the best fans in the nation would support the players that have chosen to attend Wichita State.....at a minimum.

Comment

• shockfan89_
          shockfan89_ commented
          Editing a comment
          And we would probably have had 3 more national championships if the prior coaching staff had our #1 healthy all year. Pitching injuries are part of the game every team has to deal with.

I have been out there supporting these players for years! I wish the AD showed the same level of commitment towards baseball that some of the WSU fans do. If you think HCTB is the long term answer at WSU then that's your choice. I think anyone who has been around college baseball can see there are some glaring issues.

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          Where do you get that WuDrWu in any way, shape or form indicated that he thinks that HCTB is the long term answer? I did'nt get that impression at all from this post or really any other posts he has made.

Sorry, I didn't mean that to be directed at WrDrWu. That was meant as a general statement since I know some people still think there is value in continuing the current direction. My comment should have said "If anyone thinks ..." instead of "If you think ..."

Most people who read the baseball thread know I am conflicted on this topic and have gone back and forth the past four years. I really thought at the end of last season the AD would have no choice but to make a change. Obviously I am very disappointed and discouraged at the lack of progress (especially the past two years). I realize this is a difficult time to make a change and buyout another contract but have also grown tired of the "wait until next year", "things will be better next year" crap. So what happens if we have a good year this year or next year? Does that tell us anything? Once every 5 or 6 years we might finish in the upper third of the conference. YEAH! Raise ticket prices!

I used to love going out and supporting the players year after year and getting to know them and their families. Now you are lucky to know the names and numbers of players before they are cut or transfer out. A little harder for a fan to support the players under these circumstances.
        Last edited by shockfan89_; December 14, 2017, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
          1972Shocker commented
          Editing a comment
          I am not all that surprised that they didn't pull the triiger on the buyout. I have a feeling the move to the AAC has put a lot of financial stress on the atheltic department. Maybe this isn't the case but if I had to bet I would put my money on this being so.

Clearly the main focus on the athletic department at his point is to make sure the financial bell cow (men's basketball) is healthy and rocking the cash registers. Hopefully, ADDB will adopt the same mantra as ADJS had when he was here and focus on being the best we can be at every sport we sponsor unitl we get the transition to the AAC behind us.
          Last edited by 1972Shocker; December 14, 2017, 03:19 PM.

• shockfan89_
          shockfan89_ commented
          Editing a comment
          Which leads to comments like ShockerFever that the AD doesn't care about baseball anymore so why should we.

It also leads to comments like mine about not renewing season tickets. The success of the baseball program is not a priority right now to the Athletic Department. Maybe that is in the best interests of WSU athletics as a whole, but don't expect me to spend several thousand dollars again next year to watch it / support it, and don't expect me to buy in to the BS the AD is spouting about his confidence in HCTB. We know he can't come out and tell the truth, but it also sucks when you know someone is lying to you.
      Working...
      X