March Madness Expansion?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March Madness Expansion?

SI - NCAA Transformation Committee Recommends Expanding March Madness Fields

NCAA postseason championships, including the NCAA men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, would be expanded under recommendations made by the NCAA transformation committee.

After nearly a year’s worth of meetings, the transformation committee, charged with reshaping archaic NCAA policies, produced a 40-page final report that was released Tuesday to selected media members. The report will go to the Division I board of directors for consideration at the 2023 NCAA convention in San Antonio next week.

Among the many recommendations is incorporating more teams in NCAA postseason championships. The NCAA should consider expanding championship brackets to accommodate access for 25% of participating teams in the sport, the committee’s report notes.

The NCAA men’s and women’s basketball tournament encompasses 68 teams, or about 19% of the sport’s 350-some active members. The tournaments would have to expand by about 20 teams—incorporating around 90 total teams—to reach the 25% mark
    If adopted, which I think is unlikely, this would be implemented for the '24-'25 season.

I really don't see this gaining much traction, but we'll see.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
    SI - NCAA Transformation Committee Recommends Expanding March Madness Fields

If adopted, which I think is unlikely, this would be implemented for the '24-'25 season.

I really don't see this gaining much traction, but we'll see.
    You don't? I guess we'd have to define traction. It's going to lock about 90% of the P6 schools into the dance every year. It will make it more difficult for the Bradleys of the world to advance, but let's face it, it's almost impossible now.

The big boys will get a lot more cash, they'll give a little to the rest to keep them afloat.

Comment

Working...
    X