US Congress and NIL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Congress and NIL

Interesting article yesterday from SI about some conferences trying to get the US Congress to fix things. Below are some parts of it

SEC, Pac-12 to Pitch Senate on NIL Legislation, Athletes’ Employment Status - https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/0...ployment-pitch

Amid unrest within college sports, two Power 5 commissioners are traveling to the nation’s capital to lobby lawmakers for the creation of federal legislation to regulate name, image and likeness (NIL), a U.S. Senate aide told Sports Illustrated on Wednesday.

On Thursday, Pac-12 commissioner George Kliavkoff and SEC commissioner Greg Sankey will meet with U.S. senators on Capitol Hill to fight for a congressional mandate to regulate what has evolved into the NCAA’s latest festering problem. Sankey and Kliavkoff, two of the industry’s most influential leaders, are teaming up to encourage lawmakers to pass an NIL statute. They are also expected to seek senators’ help in preventing what they believe is another potential issue looming for college sports: employment status for college athletes.
    The commissioners are seeking a federal solution to NIL, which industry experts believe is the only real solvent for this burgeoning problem. However, many believe it’s a longshot for this year.

Republicans and Democrats failed to agree on legislation last year before a July 1 deadline that saw several states enact laws, forcing the NCAA to ditch its longtime amateurism policy governing athlete compensation. Instead of implementing a permanent NIL policy—out of fear of legal trouble—the NCAA released only vague guidelines that boosters are now skirting.

On Capitol Hill, the disagreement among leaders from the two parties centers on the structure of a bill. While Republicans want a narrow bill that focuses only on NIL, Democrats are supporting more broad legislation—a sort-of college athletes bill of rights that touches on topics such as revenue sharing and long-term healthcare. The two sides could not reach a compromise despite positive movement last May, as SI documented.
    In many ways, Sankey and Kliavkoff are taking up a battle that Emmert failed to win. Since December 2019, the outgoing NCAA president has lobbied for a federal solution to combat mounting state laws.

“If you, Congress, want college sports to continue in this fashion over here, we need your help to do that,” Emmert said earlier this spring.

As for employment status, the wheels are in motion for athletes to be deemed as employees of their schools, both in the courts and among leaders of the National Labor Relations Board, something detailed in an SI story earlier this spring.
    Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

"Hey, I got a great idea! I call it NIL!"

"Sounds great, let's do it!"

"Well that was a disaster! What should we do???"

"I know! Let's call in the U.S. government to fix it!"
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

One of the SI articles interviewed Senator Moran from KS (https://www.si.com/college/2021/05/1...gress-nil-bill) because he had introduced a bill back in February 2021. SI called it one of more balanced bills at the time and here are the details - https://www.moran.senate.gov/public/...e-and-likeness

I was looking at Moran's press releases after that and he had one in September 2021 - Politico: Major college sports are under siege and they want K Street to save them - and this was interesting

For most of 2021, the NCAA and its large and powerful athletic conferences have moved aggressively to steer name, image and likeness (NIL) legislation, which would allow players to profit from their own celebrity but put rules on that compensation. In conversations on the Hill, they sought to limit their liability from future lawsuits that could result from congressional action. Those who have worked in this space say it is among the most significant — and potentially perilous — moments for major college sports in a century.

So far this year, the NCAA alone has spent $180,000 on lobbying, $60,000 more than the same period last year. The Power Five conferences — the Big Ten, Big 12, PAC-12 Conference, Southeastern Conference and Atlantic Coast Conference — have spent $900,000, all to influence legislation related to how student athletes can profit from their popularity and “modernizing” college athletics, according to federal filings.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        "Hey, I got a great idea! I call it NIL!"

"Sounds great, let's do it!"

"Well that was a disaster! What should we do???"

"I know! Let's call in the U.S. government to fix it!"
        No, who you gonna call?

Chick-Fil-A busters!

They'd have a solution within 24 hours.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I could have been the spokesperson for "Alda Wart" (that's the only name he was known by), who was evidently the designated Shocker Athletics marijuana dealer. But I doubt he wanted much publicity.

Comment

Task Force to Big-Money Boosters: NIL Sanctions Could Be Coming - May 3 - https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/0...ould-be-coming

SCOTTSDALE Ariz.—College leaders are gearing up to issue a warning to hundreds of wealthy boosters who are using name, image and likeness (NIL) ventures to involve themselves in recruiting.

University administrators, part of a task force to review NIL, are finalizing additional guidelines that are expected to clarify that boosters and booster-led collectives are prohibited from involvement in recruiting, multiple sources tell Sports Illustrated. The guidelines will provide more guidance to member schools on what many administrators say are NIL-disguised “pay for play” deals orchestrated by donors to induce prospects, recruit players off other college teams and retain their own athletes.
            A new NCAA working group tasked with reviewing NIL spent the past month creating the multipage document of guidelines, an addendum to the organization’s interim NIL policy released last summer. The guidelines are being rushed through the NCAA governance system and could be approved within a week’s time, sources say. They are expected to be the first of what could be ongoing clarity from leadership about the new and complicated space.

The draft of guidelines is being circulated this week in Phoenix, where more than 200 administrators and coaches from at least four conferences hold their annual spring meetings. The administrative council of the NCAA Board of Directors meets Monday, at which point they can rubber stamp the draft.

Comment

Update on ESPN regarding the meeting on Thursday with Congress - https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...es-source-says

Kliavkoff contacted Democratic Washington Sen. Maria Cantwell, whom he knows from their time working together at RealNetworks. He and Sankey met to discuss the need for the legislation with Cantwell and Republican Tennessee Sen. Marsha Blackburn, as well as other senators from both parties.

"For far too long, the NCAA has refused to allow student-athletes to benefit from the use of their name, image, likeness [NIL]," Blackburn said in a statement issued after the Thursday meeting. "NCAA president Mark Emmert's resignation is one of many necessary structural changes that will enable the NCAA to support our student-athletes. ... I continued to push for the accountability and fairness measures our student-athletes deserve."
              The two commissioners were joined by Olympic Committee CEO Sarah Hirshland. Part of the pitch to lawmakers for giving college sports some antitrust protection is that moving to a more professional model for revenue-generating sports such as football and men's basketball would lead to fewer collegiate opportunities for Olympic-sport athletes.
              Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby, while supportive of the meeting, expressed doubt that anything will come of it in the short term.

"Getting anything done before the midterm elections is going to be next to impossible," Bowlsby told ESPN's Adam Rittenberg on Thursday. "It's great that they are going to do it. Whether anything comes of it ... we've had relationships with the same people they're talking to for a while, so we'll see what comes of it. ... I wouldn't put too much significance on it."

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
                Task Force to Big-Money Boosters: NIL Sanctions Could Be Coming - May 3 - https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/0...ould-be-coming

Just no way the NCAA could anticipate this would happen, right? Duuuuuhhh! All these rules, regulations and sanctions should have been in place from the get go. Might be quite a bit more difficult to put the Genie back in the bottle at this point. We will see I guess.

Clearly though what is going on is Pay to Play, not pay for your Name, Image and Likeness as a marketing strategy.
                Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 6, 2022, 06:23 PM.

Comment

With the "recruiting" at Miami being highly publicized, what other schools have been doing it to that extent? I'm sure all the big boys, but Miami seems extra egregious.

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                    With the "recruiting" at Miami being highly publicized, what other schools have been doing it to that extent? I'm sure all the big boys, but Miami seems extra egregious.
                    We are mostly focused on basketball but the big money may be for football.

Texas A&M boosters are rumored to have committed over $25 million to NIL deals to help bolster recruiting, both this year and in the future.

Comment

Both Creighton and Nebraska have streamlined their NIL money. From what I've read, every scholarship football player at Nebraska has a six figure deal. I've heard the Creighton deal is very competitive on the basketball side. But being a private school, it is hard to get them to release those numbers. I know the Bluejays didn't lose any players to the portal this year and brought a few more really good players in. Nebraska landed a TCU transfer that was all but locked up by Texas. He cited the NIL as a major contributor.
                      https://longhornswire.usatoday.com/2...-tcu-transfer/

Schools, like it or not, need to have competitive NIL's.
                      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Here are some interesting links about NIL deals -

https://www.dreamfield.co/resources/...-deals-in-2021 - these were deals early on

https://news.yahoo.com/biggest-nil-d...120103369.html - this is a more updated list

https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/nil-100/ - the On3 site has a lot of NIL information, but they have a page where they list the possible top earners, mainly based on their social media followers

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post
                          Here are some interesting links about NIL deals -

https://www.dreamfield.co/resources/...-deals-in-2021 - these were deals early on

https://news.yahoo.com/biggest-nil-d...120103369.html - this is a more updated list

https://www.on3.com/nil/rankings/player/nil-100/ - the On3 site has a lot of NIL information, but they have a page where they list the possible top earners, mainly based on their social media followers
                          It's a slippery slope...

Comment

Sometimes I worry about you
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              Sometimes I worry about you
                              The Mrs. shares your concern… and she has ‘zero’ sense of humor.

Comment

Working...
                              X