The Colonial

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Colonial

A number of years ago, the CAA was seen as one of the bigger rivals to the MVC in terms of possible at-large bids and in the FCS playoffs. Losing members such as George Mason and VCU didn't help them in regards to basketball, but they've just added three schools to help bolster their ranks and move the conference to 12 teams. These adds aren't on par with what the MVC has pulled in with Belmont and Murray, but they seem like solid adds and if the three schools can step up their game, maybe the CAA once again can pick up an at-large bid here and there.

The three schools that were just announced yesterday are Stony Brook, Monmouth and Hampton. All three have had some success in basketball in the past 20 or so years, but with a lot of schools in such conferences, they've had their ups and downs. The CAA still has a decent reputation and still contain the likes of UNC-Wilmington who has also had their share of tournament appearances I believe. The conference is currently ahead of the MVC in conference RPI which surprised me when I saw it and they're currently, 13th to the MVC 15th.

I don't keep close tabs on any of these conferences like I used to, but I think there's been some good history with them, even if most of that history is now in the A10. Plus, conference expansion has always been something I've found interesting. It'll be interesting to see in five years or so where the CAA and MVC stand in such rankings in regards to each other. I was surprised to see the CAA ahead of the MVC this year. I obviously need to play a little more attention to it all.

And just for reference in regards to these two conferences and who they'll have and their current RPIs as of 1.26.22:

Loyola 48

Belmont 46
    Murray 52

I think the MVC comes out ahead based on this data even with losing Loyola. I wouldn't be surprised to see Belmont and Murray get better.

Hofstra 45
    Monmouth 64
    Stony Brook 115

Not bad additions at all. All but Stony Brook is currently ranked higher than we are at 111.

Also, I know NET is the sexy ranking everyone likes to use, but RPI is still in the data and it's the first website that pulled up.

Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry
Working...
X