No announcement yet.

Does C-USA Survive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middle Tennessee has officially announced they're staying in CUSA, and that would appear to mean that Western Kentucky will remain as well. I'll be curious to see how New Mexico State does in basketball once they officially join and compete.

So I guess the question is answered for now. Yes, CUSA will survive.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

CUSA has released their 2022 football schedule and have included the three teams that have announced they're leaving for the Belt effective June 30, 2022. CUSA is threatening legal action to make them play the 22-23 season in CUSA when they've all stated that they will not be there.

I'm not sure there's any way they can enforce this, especially if the three schools are willing to pay the exit fees which amount to compensation for breaching the contract. I'm not sure what CUSA is hoping to achieve with this, but it seems like a poor look. But I'm not sure it will really hurt them as at this point the only teams moving to CUSA are current FCS schools that may have no other avenue the FBS.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        I'm not sure there's any way they can enforce this, especially if the three schools are willing to pay the exit fees which amount to compensation for breaching the contract. I'm not sure what CUSA is hoping to achieve with this, but it seems like a poor look. But I'm not sure it will really hurt them as at this point the only teams moving to CUSA are current FCS schools that may have no other avenue the FBS.
        There is quite likely a timing concern with the exit fees, so perhaps this is a way to get them to pay quickly, or if they have missed the deadline to show serious damages if it becomes a lawsuit?
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

There is quite likely a timing concern with the exit fees, so perhaps this is a way to get them to pay quickly, or if they have missed the deadline to show serious damages if it becomes a lawsuit?
          Don't we have a lawyer on this board somewhere? I know the exit fees are generally applied to leaving or leaving early and it sounds like the three Belt bound schools are on board with paying what was to be required of them. CUSA doesn't have much of a media deal, which keeps exit fees down as they're technically about covering damages from leaving or some sort. I know the AAC has their set rate and time requirement and if you want to leave before that, it increases, as you could say damages increase if the timeline isn't followed. I'm guessing CUSA is supposed to have a 12 month notice or something that isn't being followed. But based on what their exit fees are supposed to be, which I'm not 100% on but I think are maybe 1M, I don't think the schools in question have any issue with paying a bit more.

I do believe the schools in question made statements in December about this being their last season in CUSA. And CUSA isn't being excessively harmed by the three leaving early as the six AAC bound schools will still be there along with the five I believe that will remain when it's all said and done. So they still have a full conference, more or less, and aren't really harmed in scheduling for football as they have enough schools to fill in the blanks.

And, at least according to this here, it sounds as if CUSA refuses to even discuss separation.

From Old Dominion:
          The University first advised the Conference in early December 2021 of the University’s plans to terminate its membership in June 2022. Since then, the University has clearly and consistently repeated its intentions to the Conference. The University offered to cooperate with the Conference to ensure that all remaining C-USA members had complete competitive schedules for those sports in which the University competes. The Conference refuses to discuss such an arrangement with the University. The remaining members of Conference USA deserve certainty about their schedules as they plan for competition next year. For their sake, the University makes public its intent.
          From Southern Miss:
          The Conference’s unwillingness to discuss the concept of separation this year creates confusion and doubt for all concerned. The remaining members of Conference USA deserve certainty about their schedules as they plan for competition next year. For their sake, the University makes public its intent.
          So it doesn't sound at all like it's a debate about how much the exit fee should be and simply CUSA leadership throwing a tantrum, which isn't a good look and I don't think will help them should this go to some kind of arbitration.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I saw that the SunBelt recently released their conference football schedule for '22 and it includes the four new teams.

I also saw somewhere that Marshall has filed suit against CUSA. I haven't looked into or read much on it at this point but it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Missouri State, apparently, has received another sealed envelope, inviting them to the Sun Belt.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Of course they have
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

image_8713.jpg
                  Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  Of course they have
                  I'm not even making it up. In fact, you can't make this sh1t up! The funniest part is the this buzz was all started because someone posted a Sun Belt rumor from a link dated back to 2014. The same rumor with the sealed manila envelope and visiting Sun Belt reps dressed in Sun Belt polos.

Screenshot_20220303-211148_DuckDuckGo.jpg ​​​​​​​
                  There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Screenshot_20220303-212400_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Comment

Now that's funny.

I'd believe that they could potentially have a CUSA invite if they get some things taken care of. The Belt is now beyond them and has no need for additions.

The fact that an 8 year old rumor has started a new round of SunBelt hype for SWOMO cracks me up.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I missed this last month. C-USA is expanding again by adding one more for 2024. Guess they needed to bring in some more Owl's since they're losing a couple.

CUSA - C-USA Adds Kennesaw State, Owls to Join in 2024

“Today is an important day as we formally welcome Kennesaw State University to Conference USA,” Commissioner Judy MacLeod said. “The addition of this growing university continues to build upon our strong foundation and we are excited to partner with President Schwaig and KSU’s leadership team to transform our membership and strategically position the conference for long-term success.”

Kennesaw State is a public university located on two campuses in Kennesaw and Marietta, Georgia. The institution is the third largest university in the state of Georgia, with 43,000 undergraduate and graduate students and more than 180 degree programs. KSU is a student-centered, top-tier research-driven R2 institution, placing it among the top 7% of research universities in the nation and is one of 10 institutions in Georgia distinguished as a Carnegie Designated Community Engaged Institution, which recognizes the collaboration between higher education institutions and their larger communities for the mutual benefit of knowledge and resources.

Athletically, the Owls compete in 18 sports, 17 of which will compete in C-USA, and have claimed over 50 conference championships since joining the ASUN Conference in 2005, and the football program has captured three Big South championships in the program’s first five seasons at the Division I level. Football has earned the distinction of tallying more wins (48) in its first five seasons than any program in college football history. The Owls are also the first start-up program in college football history to post three consecutive 11-win seasons during its first five years of competition (2015-19). In seven-plus seasons to date, KSU has won 65 games, and has posted a home mark of 39-5.
                        This gives CUSA a spot in the ATL metro area.

Barring anymore moves, the CUSA lineup in '24 will be

Florida International
                        Louisiana Tech
                        Middle Tennessee
                        UTEP
                        Western Kentucky
                        Jacksonville State
                        Liberty
                        New Mexico State
                        Sam Houston
                        Kennesaw State

I believe that they have a desire to add a few more in time, but have found a little temporary stability and will get Jacksonville and Sam Houston transitioned before they add again. The good news for CUSA, barring WKU and MTSU bolting somewhere, is that they should have time to be patient and get some deeper evaluations in for future adds. I wouldn't be surprised if they try to get one of the Texas FCS schools to move up as they currently only have Sam Houston in the east and UTEP way out west.

Looking in the Southeastish area, which they mostly seem confined to:

Central Arkansas - I'm not sure if they have interest in moving to FBS, but the Atlantic Sun is falling apart and I have no clue if they're able to find D2 schools wanting to move up.
                        Eastern Kentucky - I think I heard some chatter at one point about them, but I think that was if Western Kentucky left. Still might have a shot and might be a good travel partner for Liberty.
                        Missouri State - A long shot, but CUSA could take them. Is MSU too full of itself to go there? Fans seem to be stuck on the Sun Belt
                        Incarnate Word - I don't think they have the capability but it would get them back in San Antonio
                        Lamar - Would give them another Houstonish school
                        Florida A&M - I believe they draw insanely well, unless I'm mixing them up with someone else. Would give them a 2nd team in Florida
                        Abilene Christian - They're newer to FCS and I'm not sure what their ambitions are
                        Stephen F Austin - I believe there were some early talks/rumors this last go around. I believe they have some work to do but may be interested.

I get a little carried away with realignment sometimes. There were also a number of SWAC schools that I could see CUSA maybe having interest in, but I think a lot of those HBCU's have a desire to stay together.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                        X