NCAA Gender Equity Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Gender Equity Review

A law firm hired to investigate gender equity concerns at NCAA championship events said in a review Tuesday that the association has not lived up to its own standards and recommended a combined Final Four for men's and women's basketball at the same site.

Listen, ESPN numbers for softball were better than the baseball numbers (for the finals at least). Maybe it was a one off, maybe it wasn't.

No person with a functional brain thinks men's and women's basketball are anywhere close to even from a revenue stand point.

But if people need to believe something else, who am I to stop them? It's idiotic, and I won't watch, but hell, it looks like my thoughts are being left behind. I have no problem with that, as long as they don't take my money, and I won't be offering it either.

Comment

"The NCAA is a greedy, corrupt organization that only cares about padding its pocketbook."

"The NCAA knows it could make more money with the women's tournament, but chooses not to because it's sexist."

Same people.

Of course, if the NCAA were to promote the women's tournament a lot and it ended up making money (that's a BIG if), the NCAA would be exploiting the women's labor.

The NCAA isn't going down soon because it's a bad organization. It's going down because this country and its sports fans have adopted the Communistic concept of "if it's something I don't like, it's evil and should be burned to the ground." Ironic, though, that the people screaming "FREE MARKETS!!!" about the NCAA are in support of anything but free markets in their political views.
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

The women's tournament is far less exciting than the men's. The women's game is in general. But the men's side at least has some parity which helps the excitement level. The women's game, on top of being less exciting to the general public, also has a distinct power tier of schools and that gets boring for those that aren't fans of those schools. It's never going to draw the eyes or money of the men's game. Hell, this is one reason why football is looking to expand from 4 to 12 teams for their playoff. They can probably generate more money, but I also think many people are tired of watching the same 5 or 6 teams being the only ones ever involved. I think they eventually end up at 16, but time will tell. But some believe that those top 15 or so teams all have a chance to knock off one of the top 4 on any given Saturday. But the expansion could also, possibly, help build some of the other programs that are now in the hunt. I'm not entirely sure if I believe Alabama will lose out on some of those guys because they can now be in the playoffs at one of the other programs, but we'll see.

And putting the women at the same location as the men I don't see going well. It's already an expensive endeavor for those that go and I don't see most shelling out more to watch the women's games too. They're also better off playing in smaller venues considering the attendance would be lower. Do we really need to see the women playing in front of a few thousand people with 40k empty seats? That will surely grow the game when they have zero atmosphere and are already looked at as a lesser product.
        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Working...
        X