NCAA hammers UNC for academic fraud.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA hammers UNC for academic fraud.

Page Not Found (404): It looks like you're lost... The page you are looking for no longer exists.

The University of Northern Colorado (UNC) gets 3 years probation and must return NCAA credits due to academic fraud.
    Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Oh, you funny guy.

Comment

Based on the other UNC ruling, I don't see any violations at all. I mean isn't coursework optional -- so if a head coach is doing a little bit of the coursework, who cares? It's not like you have to actually have coursework in a class anymore.
      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

I’m afraid that Shocker alum Ryan Martin might be involved with this. He was an assistant coach on that Northern Colorado team in 2010-11.
        78-65

Comment

• WuDrWu
          WuDrWu commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking back on it, sportin' the ku gear back in the day might not have been the best decision for RM. Just sayin'.

Clearly this is a case of the NCAA overstepping its bounds. This is an academic issue.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

From the infractions report.

"Although the underlying conduct in this case was contrary to the membership's core expectations, the processing of the case featured a level of cooperation and agreement among the parties that exceeded those expectations. Northern Colorado, under the strong leadership of its president, set an example for all member institutions in its handling of this case."

What a difference with how North Carolina handled its charges, yet who got punished? #hypocrisy
          Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

All the coaches had to do was take some classes for a few random students not on the athletic teams. Then it would have been OK. After all, it's not up to the NCAA to micro-manage how its' member institutions take roll in classes. In this case, having someone else take classes for you was only available to student-athletes. That's a violation.
            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Bad link

Comment

UNC with more illegal headlines.
                Thirteen North Carolina football players, including quarterback Chazz Surratt, will miss at least one game this season after they were caught selling special-edition, school-issued Nike Jordan shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
                  UNC with more illegal headlines.
                  So the UNC players profit off of gear freely given to them ... some only got a one game suspension (some got 4) and the team is allowed to stagger the suspensions so that the football team doesn't have to play without a specific player in a specific position.

But our baseball players cough up their own money to buy their own gear with a discount that is openly given to the University (and access to that deal was given to outsiders). We had to vacate wins and had massive suspensions, etc, etc.

Hmmm.

Comment

The NCAA is nothing if not fair . . .cough, cough cough . . .

Comment

NCAA is as crooked as they come.
                      Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

So the UNC players profit off of gear freely given to them ... some only got a one game suspension (some got 4) and the team is allowed to stagger the suspensions so that the football team doesn't have to play without a specific player in a specific position.

But our baseball players cough up their own money to buy their own gear with a discount that is openly given to the University (and access to that deal was given to outsiders). We had to vacate wins and had massive suspensions, etc, etc.

Hmmm.
                        The National Collegiate Athletic Association
                        700 W. Washington Street
                        P.O. Box 6222
                        Indianapolis, Indiana 46206-6222
                        Phone: 317-917-6222
                        Fax: 317-917-6888

You should call them up and repeat exactly what you said on your post. Just be really calm and ask kindly for an explanation. If you don't get any traction let me know and I'll give it a whirl using a slightly different method.

T

...:cool:

Comment

Wichita State

21 players received $7,594.18 in discounts over a 2 year period (which I still insist WAS AVAILABLE to the entire student body, but don't let me get sidetracked).

That's $361.62 per athlete in discounted clothing.

For this we got fined $5000, vacated 69 freaking games, vacated a 2013 regional appearance, HCGS statistically lost wins, and we had 8 players with suspensions.

---

North Carolina

13 football players sold their exclusive Air Jordan 3 shoes that were given only to UNC players and never sold on the free market. We know what at least 5 of the players received (mostly in cash): $2300, $2500, $2500, $1500, $1300

So far that's $10,100 ... and I am not accounting for 8 of the 13 athletes!

For this, they got some suspensions.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                            C0|dB|00ded commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Give 'em a call. If the NCAA doesn't offer an explanation we'll send the facts to a college sports analyst friendly to Wichita State and get an expose' published. This would spread like wildfire.

T

...:cool:

• ShockTalk
                            ShockTalk commented
                            Editing a comment
                            This is MUCH better said than your first post.

• Veritas
                            Veritas commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Wonder what DB is doing about. He will be all over it once he and his Dr finish with their chores at the koolaid factory and mending the damaged reputation of fHCGS.
                            Could it be that fADES and the Boat encouraged stiff penalties to use as an argument in trying to justify their decision with the coaching change.

Wonder what DB is doing about. He will be all over it once he and his Dr finish with their chores at the koolaid factory and mending the damaged reputation of fHCGS. Could it be that fADES and the Boat encouraged stiff penalties to use as an argument in trying to justify their decision with the coaching change.
                          It should definitely be appealed to the extent it can, especially in light of UNC's findings.

If I recall, it was the new coach that discovered "the problem". I would question whether a thorough internal investigation was done to make sure there was indeed a "problem", or whether it was just hastily turned over to the NCAA (obviously we looked into how many discounts were handed out/by who/over what period of time, but there is an argument to be made that there was no problem in the first place -- I don't think that argument was ever made). I would like to know what penalties were recommended by FADES (if any).

Bardo was appropriately torqued at the NCAA's punishment, but apparently not enough to fight it like it should have been fought.

Again, in light of the new UNC finding, I think they should appeal to have the wins and fHCGS's statistics reinstated. And I want my $5,000 back if UNC didn't have to pay a fine (I am not clear if they did or didn't).

Comment

Working...
                          X