American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
    Without football, I’m afraid we’re forever stuck in the MVC.
    I’ve been a long-time proponent of bringing back WSU football. Yes, football is expensive and risky, but I’ll continue to dream about having something like this…

"Yes, football is expensive and risky, but I’ll continue to dream about having something like this…"

and playing ON that field in the photo as well :)

Comment

• I don't like the idea of being stuck in the MVC. We need to be grown ups and stop letting other people dictate
      Our future. We have two choices if we are more than sick of the MVC:

1. Bring back football. Then we are viewed as a big time university. Without football, WSU will always really be viewed as a second class school. that's just the way it is.

2. Start a new basketball conference in the Midwest made up of good basketball teams. the Midwest equivalent
      Of the Atlantic 10. If you don't want football, this is the only choice.

The MVC and the status quo just doesn't work for WSU, unless you like being under seeded every year in the
      tournament and eventually losing an at large bid. I think the future of the tournament is going to be geared toward the Big 5 conferences and the mid major conferences are going to be left behind to play in the NIT.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
        I would still prefer a new conference made up of teams from MVC, Summit, etc
        Are you on crack?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I could work with a new conference made up of like minded and funded schools....The New Mo Valley.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            I would still prefer a new conference made up of teams from MVC, Summit, etc
            Originally posted by pogo View Post
            I could work with a new conference made up of like minded and funded schools....The New Mo Valley.
            Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            Are you on crack?
            I mean, the AAC is way better, but it really wouldn't have been THAT bad if like 2 years ago the top teams from the Summit (basically the MVFC teams we don't already have) and the top Horizon teams joined the MVC and we ejected the teams that are obviously a problem. I'd still enjoy that if that is the solution. Again, it wouldn't be as good as the AAC, but it wouldn't be as bad as the MVC. If we do get stuck here, it's better than nothing. Maybe all this talk about WSU leaving will finally cause some actual effort by the MVC
            Last edited by Dave Stalwart; March 8, 2017, 10:16 AM.

Comment

• This has been Aresco's line the whole time. Obviously, discussions have been ongoing in the interim despite his official stance, which hasn't changed over the last 24 months. He's said the same thing repeatedly during that frame.

We'll see what happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                Without football, I’m afraid we’re forever stuck in the MVC.
                I’ve been a long-time proponent of bringing back WSU football. Yes, football is expensive and risky, but I’ll continue to dream about having something like this…

Count me as in the camp who would support football if it came back because I enjoy it and I love this university, but one who also believes it would be a catastrophic mistake for many reasons.

1. Football has only one way to go from here, down. Youth participation is declining quickly due to concussions, even viewership growth is slowing(or declining in the early NFL season, may be other factors though).
                2. Costs will never be higher than they are now, and this could drain all other athletic programs.
                3. The state of Kansas has NEVER EVER had more than one single successful football program at a time, despite much trying.(It's no coincidence that KU's success under Mangino came exactly when Snyder stepped away).
                4. Until a wizard showed up in Manhattan the state never had any sustained success at a football program, sure WSU, KU, KSU all made bowl games here or there, but nothing that was sustained.(Can we find a coach like that?)
                5. As much as everyone likes to lambast KU football and make jokes, it's clear they have been trying, yet still utterly failing. What exactly will WSU do that KU isn't currently trying?(Not saying we couldn't ever find some success, but I find it hard to believe we find anything sustained)

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
                  Count me as in the camp who would support football if it came back because I enjoy it and I love this university, but one who also believes it would be a catastrophic mistake for many reasons.

1. Football has only one way to go from here, down. Youth participation is declining quickly due to concussions, even viewership growth is slowing(or declining in the early NFL season, may be other factors though).
                  2. Costs will never be higher than they are now, and this could drain all other athletic programs.
                  3. The state of Kansas has NEVER EVER had more than one single successful football program at a time, despite much trying.(It's no coincidence that KU's success under Mangino came exactly when Snyder stepped away).
                  4. Until a wizard showed up in Manhattan the state never had any sustained success at a football program, sure WSU, KU, KSU all made bowl games here or there, but nothing that was sustained.(Can we find a coach like that?)
                  5. As much as everyone likes to lambast KU football and make jokes, it's clear they have been trying, yet still utterly failing. What exactly will WSU do that KU isn't currently trying?(Not saying we couldn't ever find some success, but I find it hard to believe we find anything sustained)
                  Unfortunately, FCS is probably the only way WSU has "successful" football...if you can call it that. I'd still go to the games :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                    Unfortunately, FCS is probably the only way WSU has "successful" football...if you can call it that. I'd still go to the games :)
                    Exactly, and FCS football wouldn't be helping us find a new conference so I'm a solid nay vote on football as well.

Comment

• This board needs a pep talk.

I still don't buy the AAC commissioner's statement as completely ruling this all from happening. Football is the main driving force in things, but I can't see how bringing us into their conference will hinder their aspirations with what they're trying to do with football. I'm making like Steve Perry, and won't stop believing. We will have the glorious AAC patch on jerseys and on Devlin Court. Give the peopel what they want.

Comment

• Originally posted by Walker View Post
                        This board needs a pep talk.

I still don't buy the AAC commissioner's statement as completely ruling this all from happening. Football is the main driving force in things, but I can't see how bringing us into their conference will hinder their aspirations with what they're trying to do with football. I'm making like Steve Perry, and won't stop believing. We will have the glorious AAC patch on jerseys and on Devlin Court. Give the peopel what they want.

I still say adding one bball school to offset the Navy fb only is smart. If Aresco doesnt want to get crazy with multiple bball adds or western all sport/fb only adds, fine but we should at least add one non fb

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcats#1 View Post
                          I still say adding one bball school to offset the Navy fb only is smart. If Aresco doesnt want to get crazy with multiple bball adds or western all sport/fb only adds, fine but we should at least add one non fb
                          I completely agree. At the very least I hope you guys add us to offset the imbalance with Navy and rescue us from the Valley. I gotta say though, I hope they'll consider getting crazy with bball and adding Dayton and VCU too if they're on board. That'd be one bitchin conference.

Comment

• My glass is no longer 3/4 full, but it's not half-empty either.

I don't see the great difference between having one football-only school and having one basketball-only school. Perhaps Aresco is a "football" guy and sees the future of the AAC as a P5 BCS-type league. That's fairly unrealistic. He'd have to be able to pull Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State, and one more from the rubble of the B12 to do that, and those schools are not going to go to the AAC.

The most troubling scenario is that the discussions actually hit the Presidential level, and there were enough Presidents who wouldn't support expansion that Aresco knows it's a done deal and can't happen ala the B12's announced expansion plans.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                              Perhaps Aresco is a "football" guy and sees the future of the AAC as a P5 BCS-type league. That's fairly unrealistic. He'd have to be able to pull Oklahoma, Texas, Oklahoma State, and one more from the rubble of the B12 to do that, and those schools are not going to go to the AAC.
                              I wonder if this is exactly what the AAC wants. Maybe they are wanting to let the trickle down effect happen after the P4 beefs up, and have enough leftover schools with a name brand come to the AAC that it is invited to his hope of a "P6" or a new P5 with no Big 12 (sorry Big East, but the AAC is more likely to get a "P" than you... you are just a really strong basketball conference, but without football, it's just different).
                              Last edited by Dave Stalwart; March 8, 2017, 11:53 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcats#1 View Post
                                An article posted after the one mentioning VCU and Dayton said that those two schools were NOT being considered, only WSU. That is the lone distinction that might still give us hope, given Aresco's public comments.

Comment

Working...
                                X