No announcement yet.

American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm okay with an A/B division provided the strongest teams in the lower division get an opportunity to move up based on performance; i.e. A rotational division. Also, I think you play at least once against everybody.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• And people wonder what could have gone wrong with Texas making all of the decisions for the Big 12.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
        While I'm for Wichita State moving to the AAC, that may be the silliest, most shortsighted ideas, ever. Stacking a North vs. South, or however you want to do it, then making the weaker division only get road games ahainst the perceived stronger division is a recipie for disaster. I didn't follow the Big East before the split, but if this is how the football members made decisions, it's no wonder the wheels fell off.
        If they did it like the English Premier League (or whatever it is - I don't follow "soccer") it could be really interesting.

Drop the lowest 1-2 schools from "Tier A" after the season and promote the first and second place school from the lower division.

Probably not the best thing for "stability" but it could be fun.

Comment

• I don't know the level of expectations, how much money is spent, and facility level of each school in the AAC, but it seems obvious to me, from some of these comments that 2-3 teams in the AAC don't take basketball seriously either and other teams are getting frustrated by it.

While their conference's lower division teams don't sink to the level of MVC lower level teams, the story is somewhat similar.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
            I don't know the level of expectations, how much money is spent, and facility level of each school in the AAC, but it seems obvious to me, from some of these comments that 2-3 teams in the AAC don't take basketball seriously either and other teams are getting frustrated by it.

While their conference's lower division teams don't sink to the level of MVC lower level teams, the story is somewhat similar.
            The top is much much stronger at least.

Comment

• Actually, their bottom 2-3 teams maybe do sink to the level of the MVC, but their upper and middle level teams are quite a bit higher. The Top 1-2 teams in the Valley may be equal or higher on a year after year basis, but no more than that.

Comment

• I understand the "Premier League" thinking, and it does warrant some thought, but to do that, you just lost support from the six teams that might be the ones most often straddling one side of the line or the other. Plus, the road game only concept makes it unfairly difficult for the seventh place team to win that extra game to bump them up.

One of the biggest hurdles for Valley teams is fighting an unfair system. A system where getting home games against good competition is very difficult. Now we have fans of the AAC promoting the idea of extending that unfair system into their conference.
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• I seem to recall a promotion and relegation system being discussed as part of a super A10 league a while back. Its an interesting idea and is quite common in Europe in soccer and other sports. If someone were to try it on this side of the pond it would be a first as far as I know.
                  Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

• I like it for basketball only. Better for us than the MVC. I'd reward
                    the winner of "B" with entry into "A" and demoting the last place
                    "A" team.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                      I understand the "Premier League" thinking, and it does warrant some thought, but to do that, you just lost support from the six teams that might be the ones most often straddling one side of the line or the other. Plus, the road game only concept makes it unfairly difficult for the seventh place team to win that extra game to bump them up.

One of the biggest hurdles for Valley teams is fighting an unfair system. A system where getting home games against good competition is very difficult. Now we have fans of the AAC promoting the idea of extending that unfair system into their conference.
                      I think it would be "cool" for the fans. I think most schools would hate it. Ultimately, I don't see that system working.

WE could do it like at the Y; winners stays - losers go to the back of the line and wait their turn.

Comment

• The first division could play for the Conference championship and a trophy whereas the second division could all get participation ribbons. That way the schools of the second division have no reason to be angry. I'm thinking win win situation here.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                          The first division could play for the Conference championship and a trophy whereas the second division could all get participation ribbons. That way the schools of the second division have no reason to be angry. I'm thinking win win situation here.
                          The Valley would love this.
                          Deuces Valley.
                          ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
                            The first division could play for the Conference championship and a trophy whereas the second division could all get participation ribbons. That way the schools of the second division have no reason to be angry. I'm thinking win win situation here.
                            Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            The Valley would love this.
                            Why would they give up something. The 2nd tier already gets more than just ribbons. Just look at the COY last year.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                              Opened my presents yesterday; No AAC invitation to be found... ;)
                              Hey, Shurtz -- if you're hoping the AAC invites you to join, I'm betting you have a long wait in front of you.

I'm just hoping the AAC will see the light and allow a Navy / WSU combo as their 12th team, with WSU joining in all sports except football and Navy filling in that blank while participating in the Patriot league with their other programs.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
                                Hey, Shurtz -- if you're hoping the AAC invites you to join, I'm betting you have a long wait in front of you.

I'm just hoping the AAC will see the light and allow a Navy / WSU combo as their 12th team, with WSU joining in all sports except football and Navy filling in that blank while participating in the Patriot league with their other programs.

Comment

Working...
                                X