American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mini-shock View Post
    This move to the AAC is an interesting one. I am excited about changing into something new. I think it will help ease our fans sense of 'disrespect'. With that being said, what teams are going to beat us in the AAC? UC and SMU. IN the MVC it was ISU and UNI. Just in terms of marquee matchups, the # of teams stays the same. The obvious benefit will come in RPI and SOS, but that won't be as easily enjoyed throughout the conference itself. We joined the AAC for one thing - at large bids. I am excited to play UC and SMU at least as a new face. Looking at the AAC, I think we get second or tie for 1rst in our first season their.
    C'mon man. The only teams in the AAC that are guaranteed easy wins are my team, ECU, USF and Tulane. Notice 2 of those are in the East so you'll play us less often (assuming divisions). The rest are historically good programs or have made big investments. Temple, Memphis and UConn aren't going to be down for long.

Comment

This move to the AAC is an interesting one. I am excited about changing into something new. I think it will help ease our fans sense of 'disrespect'. With that being said, what teams are going to beat us in the AAC? UC and SMU. IN the MVC it was ISU and UNI. Just in terms of marquee matchups, the # of teams stays the same. The obvious benefit will come in RPI and SOS, but that won't be as easily enjoyed throughout the conference itself. We joined the AAC for one thing - at large bids. I am excited to play UC and SMU at least as a new face. Looking at the AAC, I think we get second or tie for 1rst in our first season their.
      I think it's naive to think those are the only marquee matchups, or that ISU and UNI are even comparable. UCONN has a great history and will get back to winning soon. Memphis is also a great basketball program. Other schools will occasionally have a good year and qualify for an at large bid. This would be an excellent move for the Shockers. I no longer live in Wichita but I used to long for a day when good teams with great history would play in town.

Comment

• Originally posted by UCONN_Husky View Post
        Hello future conference mates,

UCONN nation formally welcomes you to the AAC. Believe it or not, the UCONN administration has been an advocate of WSU for quite some time. The stories of UCONN contemplating the Big East were nothing more than a way to twist the arm of the AAC brass to make a move to enhance AAC basketball. While many here seem to think UCONN is the villain of the conference (and yes we do have some extreme fans), we have a passionate basketball fan-base that isn't willing to accept mediocrity - something I think we have in common. It really is a perfect marriage, and I'm looking forward to seeing the Shockers at Gampel and/or the XL Center next year.

I'd also like to give props for an excellent hire on the Women's Basketball side. It shows WSU's commitment to the sport and competing at the highest level. UCONN fans appreciate that.

Glad to have you!
        I had heard UConn had a lot to do with getting the ball rolling and being a big supporter of adding WSU. Great to hear.

We are the villains of the Valley when it comes to fandoms. Our coach fits right in that way also. We love it lol. No doubt there is a lot of mutual respect between WSU and UConn fans. I have no doubt some of the mud slinging could get a little out of hand when the games begin. But that is what makes college sports so fun. Nothing wrong with heated, passionate fan bases.

I am looking forward to a lot of battles in the AAC. I can see a potential for a loss in a lot of games. That is a nice change of pace from recent years. Now I don't EXPECT to lose many in the AAC, but what kind of fan would I be if I did?

You are correct that our fan bases probably have a lot in common. Thanks for visiting our board!
        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
          Again, if this happens and I hope it does, it will mark the end of our association with the "Valley of Death". Yes it has been forever since it was that but it was where our roots were. I look forward to moving to the AAC and playing schools that will push us to be better. I look forward to new rivalries and more exposure in the East and the Mid West. Believe it or not Cincinnati is thought to be in the Mid West whereas Wichita is in the High Plains. This will be a great move to a conference that is pushing to be better and not satisfied with the status quo. Go Shox.
          In many ways, I like to think of this move as actually going back to The Valley of Death.

We're getting a divorce from it's trailer park third cousin - The Valley of Dearth.

Comment

• I looked at the Athletic Expenses of our Current and Next Conference mates.

Current Members

Code:
            [table]
            [tr][td]School[/td][td]Total Budget[/td][td]Football[/td][td]Total Minus Football[/td][td]Basketball[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]Bradley[/td][td]13.593[/td][td]0[/td][td]13.593[/td][td]3.128[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]Drake[/td][td]15.636[/td][td]1.071[/td][td]14.565[/td][td]2.472[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]Ill St[/td][td]23.171[/td][td]4.062[/td][td]19.109[/td][td]2.452[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]In St[/td][td]14.421[/td][td]3.896[/td][td]10.525[/td][td]1.832[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]Loyola[/td][td]14.188[/td][td]0[/td][td]14.188[/td][td]2.745[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]MSU[/td][td]16.965[/td][td]3.561[/td][td]13.404[/td][td]2.279[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]SIU	[/td][td]23.524[/td][td]3.834[/td][td]19.69[/td][td]2.241[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]UE[/td][td]11.808[/td][td]0[/td][td]11.808[/td][td]2.899[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]UNI[/td][td]16.123[/td][td]3.631[/td][td]12.492[/td][td]2.899[/td][/tr]
            [/table]
            New Members

Code:
            [table]
            [tr][td]School[/td][td]Total Budget[/td][td]Football[/td][td]Total Minus Football[/td][td]Basketball[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]ECU[/td][td]43.045[/td][td]11.609[/td][td]31.436[/td][td]3.187[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]SMU[/td][td]56.909[/td][td]17.267[/td][td]39.642[/td][td]7.086[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]Temple[/td][td]50.886[/td][td]18.842[/td][td]32.044[/td][td]5.920[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]Tulane[/td][td]53.141[/td][td]12.855[/td][td]40.286[/td][td]3.987[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]UCF[/td][td]52.317[/td][td]19.254[/td][td]33.063[/td][td]3.166[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]Cincy[/td][td]43.367[/td][td]13.848[/td][td]29.519[/td][td]7.421[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]UH[/td][td]50.886[/td][td]16.18[/td][td]34.706[/td][td]6.023[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]Memphis[/td][td]49.849[/td][td]14.814[/td][td]35.035[/td][td]11.226[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]USF[/td][td]48.405[/td][td]12.871[/td][td]35.534[/td][td]4.711[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]Tulsa[/td][td]40.465[/td][td]13.090[/td][td]27.375[/td][td]4.174[/td][/tr]
            [tr][td]UConn[/td][td]79.267[/td][td]16.781[/td][td]62.486[/td][td]9.516[/td][/tr]
            [/table]
            WSU
            Code:
            [table]
            [tr][td]WSU[/td][td]24.254[/td][td]0[/td][td]24.254[/td][td]6.92[/td][/tr]
            [/table]

All data came from https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/

WSU currently is #1 in everything in the MVC and in some cases even doubling the budget of some schools. In basketball we are spending about 3x the amount of other schools. And the other troubling thing is the two schools closest to WSU are in a state with huge budget issues and how much of their budgets will be impacted?

WSU will be #12 in Non-Football budget but #5 in Basketball expenses in the AAC. How much of the difference in budgets are due to the support of other sports to meet the Title IX requirements for Football I couldn't say.
            Last edited by jdmee; March 31, 2017, 04:29 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
              The AAC with WSU in it will hardly be a step down from even the #1 conference in the RPI if you just look at the numbers instead of the rankings.
              This is what I met by an UN-obvious benefit. From a numbers standpoint it is a great improvement. To your other statement, I think I may riding a high of our programs recent success, but I don't see Memphis or Houston as threats. After taking a peek at these schools schedules and records, UCONN and Temple have proven they can get a few wins over top 25-50 programs in Non-con. Maybe they can beat us. But I have a hard time judging just these teams non-con as proof they can beat WSU. My question would be, how do you think WSU would fair in the ACC or Big 12? I think they'd be .500 in both.

Comment

• WSU won't be talking about undefeated conference runs in the AAC. That would be a thing of the past.

AND THAT IS A GOOD THING. That's why we are going there. When you are in a good conference, in a good year you can go 10-8 and still get in the Dance. That's the whole point. SOS matters.

If somebody went undefeated in the AAC they'd be top 10. You do that in the MVC and you are a 10 seed.

Comment

This is what I met by an UN-obvious benefit. From a numbers standpoint it is a great improvement. To your other statement, I think I may riding a high of our programs recent success, but I don't see Memphis or Houston as threats. After taking a peek at these schools schedules and records, UCONN and Temple have proven they can get a few wins over top 25-50 programs in Non-con. Maybe they can beat us. But I have a hard time judging just these teams non-con as proof they can beat WSU. My question would be, how do you think WSU would fair in the ACC or Big 12? I think they'd be .500 in both.
                  I'm not sure if there are any parts of this with which I do not vehemently disagree.

Comment

While I agree with most of this, I have to disagree on just naming two programs that are going to beat us. The huge benefit of the AAC over the MVC is that almost the entire conference is on the list of teams that can beat us any given day. It's a blessing and a curse. If you do well in a good conference, you get TONS more respect, but there is a MUCH higher chance that you won't do as well as you are used to. I am surprised you don't see Memphis, UCONN, Houston and Temple as threats. Every team in the AAC is going to be better than every team in the MVC with the exception of only a couple. It's really not even comparable. The AAC with WSU in it will hardly be a step down from even the #1 conference in the RPI if you just look at the numbers instead of the rankings.
                    Yeah. I think we're gonna find out real quick that we aren't playing Valley teams! Real quick!
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

WSU won't be talking about undefeated conference runs in the AAC. That would be a thing of the past..
                      I might make an exception for next year.

Comment

• Thanks for the #s @jdmee: but no Navy? Go Midshipmen!
                        I just want to stand on land...

@rjl:
                        If I had a gun with two bullets and was in a room with Hitler, Bin Laden, and a Creighton fan, I think I'd shoot the Creighton fan twice.

Comment

I am surprised you don't see Memphis, UCONN, Houston and Temple as threats.
                          I recall Temple coming in and ending our home win streak; at the time, I was thinking, "Who is Temple?!" Yes, GREAT games await!

Comment

There will be many tough games in the AAC, even for the team we have next year. We could coast in the Valley. Can't do that in the AAC. If you were around in the early 2000's, that is what it will be like. A dog fight every night with the potential to lose at any time. That is what this program needs again. I think you are undervaluing a lot of the AAC
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post
                              I looked at the Athletic Expenses of our Current and Next Conference mates.

Current Members

Code:
                              [TABLE]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]School[/TD]
                              [TD]Total Budget[/TD]
                              [TD]Football[/TD]
                              [TD]Total Minus Football[/TD]
                              [TD]Basketball[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]Bradley[/TD]
                              [TD]13.593[/TD]
                              [TD]0[/TD]
                              [TD]13.593[/TD]
                              [TD]3.128[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]Drake[/TD]
                              [TD]15.636[/TD]
                              [TD]1.071[/TD]
                              [TD]14.565[/TD]
                              [TD]2.472[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]Ill St[/TD]
                              [TD]23.171[/TD]
                              [TD]4.062[/TD]
                              [TD]19.109[/TD]
                              [TD]2.452[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]In St[/TD]
                              [TD]14.421[/TD]
                              [TD]3.896[/TD]
                              [TD]10.525[/TD]
                              [TD]1.832[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]Loyola[/TD]
                              [TD]14.188[/TD]
                              [TD]0[/TD]
                              [TD]14.188[/TD]
                              [TD]2.745[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]MSU[/TD]
                              [TD]16.965[/TD]
                              [TD]3.561[/TD]
                              [TD]13.404[/TD]
                              [TD]2.279[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]SIU    [/TD]
                              [TD]23.524[/TD]
                              [TD]3.834[/TD]
                              [TD]19.69[/TD]
                              [TD]2.241[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]UE[/TD]
                              [TD]11.808[/TD]
                              [TD]0[/TD]
                              [TD]11.808[/TD]
                              [TD]2.899[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]UNI[/TD]
                              [TD]16.123[/TD]
                              [TD]3.631[/TD]
                              [TD]12.492[/TD]
                              [TD]2.899[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [/TABLE]
                              New Members

Code:
                              [TABLE]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]School[/TD]
                              [TD]Total Budget[/TD]
                              [TD]Football[/TD]
                              [TD]Basketball[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]ECU[/TD]
                              [TD]43.045[/TD]
                              [TD]11.609[/TD]
                              [TD]31.436[/TD]
                              [TD]3.187[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]SMU[/TD]
                              [TD]56.909[/TD]
                              [TD]17.267[/TD]
                              [TD]39.642[/TD]
                              [TD]7.086[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]Temple[/TD]
                              [TD]50.886[/TD]
                              [TD]18.842[/TD]
                              [TD]32.044[/TD]
                              [TD]5.920[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]Tulane[/TD]
                              [TD]53.141[/TD]
                              [TD]12.855[/TD]
                              [TD]40.286[/TD]
                              [TD]3.987[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]UCF[/TD]
                              [TD]52.317[/TD]
                              [TD]19.254[/TD]
                              [TD]33.063[/TD]
                              [TD]3.166[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]Cincy[/TD]
                              [TD]43.367[/TD]
                              [TD]13.848[/TD]
                              [TD]29.519[/TD]
                              [TD]7.421[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]UH[/TD]
                              [TD]50.886[/TD]
                              [TD]16.18[/TD]
                              [TD]34.706[/TD]
                              [TD]6.023[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]Memphis[/TD]
                              [TD]49.849[/TD]
                              [TD]14.814[/TD]
                              [TD]35.035[/TD]
                              [TD]11.226[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]USF[/TD]
                              [TD]48.405[/TD]
                              [TD]12.871[/TD]
                              [TD]35.534[/TD]
                              [TD]4.711[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]Tulsa[/TD]
                              [TD]40.465[/TD]
                              [TD]13.090[/TD]
                              [TD]27.375[/TD]
                              [TD]4.174[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]UConn[/TD]
                              [TD]79.267[/TD]
                              [TD]16.781[/TD]
                              [TD]62.486[/TD]
                              [TD]9.516[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [/TABLE]
                              WSU
                              Code:
                              [TABLE]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]School[/TD]
                              [TD]Total Budget[/TD]
                              [TD]Football[/TD]
                              [TD]Basketball[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [TR]
                              [TD]WSU[/TD]
                              [TD]24.254[/TD]
                              [TD]0[/TD]
                              [TD]24.254[/TD]
                              [TD]6.92[/TD]
                              [/TR]
                              [/TABLE]

All data came from https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/

WSU currently is #1 in everything in the MVC.

WSU will be #12 in Non-Football budget but #5 in Basketball expenses in the AAC.
                              Not just overall expeditures but look at Head coaches.

Currently in the MVC you have 3G at 3.5 mil, then Jake at 800k to 1 mil.

AAC will have 3G at 3.5 mil, Ollie at 3 mil, Tubby and Cronin is 2.5 to 3 mil? I haven't look at all the coaches salaries, but there are some REALLY good coaches in the AAC. I wouldn't be surprised if all of the coaches in the AAC made more than the then 2nd highest in the MVC (Jake)

Comment

Personally, I think the team that wins the AAC is generally a lock for 1st through 3rd in any of the P5. And in a good year, the AAC has the ability to be the #1 conference overall. Not saying it is likely, but in the MVC it was impossible. In the AAC it is at least remotely possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X