American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerEngr View Post
    The later it gets, the tougher scheduling gets, and there is more than just basketball to consider. I know volleyball starts pretty early on the fall.
    I'm not certain... The volleyball schedule wasn't announced until mid-July last year, and most of the time schedule releases are held up by the conference schedule.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheGr1z View Post
      http://www.espn.com/college-sports/s...-sate-shockers

"If this were to occur, it would happen for the 2018-19 season, since it would be too late for the 2017-18 season."

Boooo

Comment

• The "new" big east team up north announced in March and didn't have a farewell tour.

Comment

• VCU announced in mid-May for the following season when it jumped to the A10.

We'll see.

Comment

• They haven't released schedules yet. I would imagine that we have made some commitments for early Volleyball Tourneys, and our Mens BB has made some for our non-conference schedule too, but I would guess that most of the scheduling for all sports are still happening and contracts haven't been submitted for very much. They talked about a spring league meeting, so I would expect to know in 3-4 weeks and I would expect that this would be for next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
              VCU announced in mid-May for the following season when it jumped to the A10.

We'll see.
              Gives me hope then.

The AAC spring meetings were from May 31 to June 3 last year. That would seem to be pushing the limit for lateness on the calendar.

Who previously wrote on here that they would be willing to pay for the conference call? We might need you to get that going.

Potentially the vote has already happened and they're just testing my patience, of which I have none, on an announcement.

Comment

• Tulsa would be great for attendance from the Western schools. Tulsa is, however, maybe less of a destination city than the 'Lou. I remember OKC being a cowtown compared to Tulsa in the '80's, somewhere along the line it ceded it's energy leadership to OKC.

Caveat: I haven't been to Tulsa in about 10 years, so things could have changed mightily, but I am dubious.
                Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerEngr View Post
                  The later it gets, the tougher scheduling gets, and there is more than just basketball to consider. I know volleyball starts pretty early on the fall.
                  Wasn't one of the earlier posts (as in, Tuesday's marathon which was only two days ago but at least 20 pages back!) alluding to the fact that one of the hints something was afoot was the fact that the date of the Tulsa game had to be changed or was being considered?

There was an article in the Eagle sometime in the past year that spoke to the process of building the non-conference schedule and the horse trading that occurred during that process. I'm sure building a conference schedule with one new member might be a bit challenging but I'm pretty sure there are a couple of us here on SN that could do it in an afternoon with the proper amount of snacks and libations. The reality is that there are also TV rights to be considered (and negotiated) and, let's face it, that may be the biggest obstacle in the whole decision.

Comment

• It doesn't need to be a destination city if it isn't 7 hours away and more than 1 game of real basketball is being played.

Comment

• I actually love the idea of having a rotation of Hartford, Orlando, and Tulsa. That's a pretty good ration that gives favor to different schools each year. If they won't do a centralized location every year like Nashville, this would be a good alternate.

For us, we could enjoy an inexpensive weekend in Tulsa one year and save up for a nice trip down to Orlando the next.

Comment

• Sometimes information is deliberately fed to reporters in order to prepare the public and alert the media as a whole for an upcoming announcement. Sometimes this is even done as a courtesy to journalists to give them more time to write, plan, and develop their stories. I have no clue that this is what is actually happening here, but it sure smells like it.

Bummer about next year if the 2018-2019 timing is true, but honestly that's the AAC's loss. We're going to be damn good, and they would benefit greatly from adding us sooner rather than later.
                        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

• At this point what with all the talk in the press, coupled with the tone of private conversation (like this forum), this better happen or we are setting ourselves up to be a running joke both nationally and in the MVC for a generation.

Not to sound pessimistic or anything (I have no insider knowledge one way or the other), but I just don't want to get ahead of ourselves, counting chickens before they're hatched. I guess I just hope the situation is all but sewn up, sans the public announcement movement, because that's the way it appears many are approaching it.

Comment

• Originally posted by BOBB View Post
                            Tulsa would be great for attendance from the Western schools. Tulsa is, however, maybe less of a destination city than the 'Lou. I remember OKC being a cowtown compared to Tulsa in the '80's, somewhere along the line it ceded it's energy leadership to OKC.

Caveat: I haven't been to Tulsa in about 10 years, so things could have changed mightily, but I am dubious.
                            In the 80's and beyond, Tulsa was more the Insurance/Banking leader (had the largest bank, IIRC, the largest Oklahoma domestic insurance company). OKC, since at least 1980 or so, more energy companies.

Comparing Tulsa and Oklahoma City is somewhat akin to comparing Dallas and Houston, except for population (OKC > Tulsa, Dallas metro > Houston).

Comment

• I have a feeling that they are trying to take care of their western brothers. If they are considering Tulsa for a league basketball Tournament location, this would make sense. From Paul's reporting and all of the other information coming out, the courting appears to be of the serious level. But until we hear more, it's better not to count your chickens, because things can turn on a dime.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post
                                At this point what with all the talk in the press, coupled with the tone of private conversation (like this forum), this better happen or we are setting ourselves up to be a running joke both nationally and in the MVC for a generation.

Not to sound pessimistic or anything (I have no insider knowledge one way or the other), but I just don't want to get ahead of ourselves, counting chickens before they're hatched. I guess I just hope the situation is all but sewn up, sans the public announcement movement, because that's the way it appears many are approaching it.
                                That ship has sailed.

Comment

Working...
                                X