American Athletic Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerDropOut View Post
    This is indicative of the small mindedness that permeates the current MVC. They do not want to acknowledge excellence, only drag it down to the lowest common denominator. I loved the "old" valley, the "Valley of Death". Now it is just the "Valley of the Dying". WSU is moving forward, in all areas of the university. That is just not the case any more for the majority of the MVC.
    Once WSU leaves we can just change it to the "Valley of the Dead"

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat_Bounce View Post
      My only concern about Wichita is what will happen if Marshall leaves? Hopefully the support for the program remains strong.
      I think the fact that WSU has shown they are willing and able to put a coaches salary among the top 10 in D1 will afford WSU some pretty good options should Marshall leave, or - more likely - retire.
      The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
      We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

My only concern about Wichita is what will happen if Marshall leaves? Hopefully the support for the program remains strong.
        We pay HCGM $3.5 million a year, which I believe makes him the highest paid coach in the AAC. We can and will support a great coach. Being in the AAC will give us opportunities to attract a top quality replacement, which may not have necessarily been the case in the MVC. With that being said, I firmly believe the change in affiliation ends this annual debate, for all intents and purposes, with the obvious exceptions of openings at 2-3 blue blood programs.
        "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerEngr View Post
          The strong support is a big reason why Gregg left Winthrop for WSU. There is risk with any coaching change, but any issues won't be for lack of support.
          Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          I think the fact that WSU has shown they are willing and able to put a coaches salary among the top 10 in D1 will afford WSU some pretty good options should Marshall leave, or - more likely - retire.
          Originally posted by Rocky Mountain Shock View Post
          We pay HCGM $3.5 million a year, which I believe makes him the highest paid coach in the AAC. We can and will support a great coach. Being in the AAC will give us opportunities to attract a top quality replacement, which may not have necessarily been the case in the MVC. With that being said, I firmly believe the change in affiliation ends this annual debate, for all intents and purposes, with the obvious exceptions of openings at 2-3 blue blood programs.
          Originally posted by seskridge
          Wichita State has always had strong support even in less than ideal times. I have no doubt that if Marshall moves or retires from WSU we will be fine.
          I completely understand someone's concern, however the university and Wichita in general are energized more than ever. The new Innovation Campus has become a reality (happening much faster than anticipated) and Wichita State is emerging as a major research institution. Sure, coach Marshall could choose to leave at some point, but I don’t anticipate that it will be anytime soon. I’m in the 'camp' that believes he’ll retire here. Wichita is a perfect fit for him and his family. If/when he leaves, WSU will step-up and replace him with a great coach.

Let me put on my marketing hat...

I’m sure the AAC Presidents and AD’s have seen a similar video/presentation and have visited with President John Bardo and understand his commitment to grow the university. There’s probably a better video, but this will give outsiders an idea of the growth and vision of Wichita State... and “we’ve only just begun.”

and more for those interested...

This is "School of Business/Innovation Center" by WSU Innovation on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

This is "Partnership Building 1: Airbus" by WSU Innovation on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

Sorry, we couldn’t find that page
          Last edited by WstateU; March 22, 2017, 12:00 PM.
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

What did you do when Huggy left? What did Cronin start at and what is he making now?

Comment

• Yeah, as others have said. Even in the lean years of the 90's we still drew and average of 5,000-6,000 fans at the lowest. Not amazing, but not horrible for what was at that time a losing program.

Basketball has always been king. Baseball, Volleyball...Etc has been good more times then not also. But basketball drives the athletic department since we don't have football.

With the money WSU has shown they can give and the overall tradition, WSU will be a desirable place for MANY good coaches
              "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Support will never be an issue at Wichita State. Sustained high/solid attendance in basketball, baseball (even in our current swoon) and volleyball. WSU isn't a one-sport, one-coach wonder.

The issue would be a couple of consecutively bad men's basketball hires, like we saw in the 90s. But other than the very top programs, this is a danger at any school. But it won't be for a lack of support or funds to get the best available.

Comment

If it happens we are well positioned and have the resources to make a good hire. Members of the national media have stated that the Wichita State basketball program is much more attractive than many P5 jobs. And that becomes multiplied by a conference upgrade.
                  ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    When I reread my post I discovered the obvious error and added another line.

If you want to go further back, the downward trend started when Louisville, Memphis, and Cincinnati left the league. Tulsa was also pretty saklty when they left.
                    This +1. I can remember when I was a kid and we had to play the likes of Wes Unseld and others in our conference. Nowadays, the only player even close to having that level of advantage over their WSU opponent would be the Illinois State guy that tried (but failed) to kick Tekele in the grapes.

Too bad it didn't work out for him, but gotta respect the effort.

Note Oscar Robertson was just beyond the horizon of my memory. My memory of the Valley starts in about 1964 - Stallworth, Kelley, Leach, Thompson, Jabali (Armstrong). The teams in the league back then had a legitimate shot at a Final Four EVERY season.

Comment

Yeah, it's certainly a concern. I do think we've built a national brand, it's a basketball town, we have immense and unwavering crowd support, we can afford to pay you top 10 salary if you prove worthy. I think if WSU opened up these days, the cream of the crop of up and coming star coaches would be at our doorstep. Hopefully we don't have to test that scenario for a long time.

Comment

• We've already been through the process of replacing one good coach with another good coach. Seems many people nationally aren't aware that Marshall was preceded by Mark Turgeon. That's two well-known and prominent coaches over the course of 17 years, at a program with now one of the largest non-P5/BE MBB budgets, to go along with top 10 nationally head coach salary capabilities.

One could say WSU enabled Gregg Marshall's success just as much as Gregg Marshall enabled WSU's success. The two entities have a mutually beneficial relationship, and there's zero indication that arrangement is ending anytime soon.

Comment

• Coach is going to retire someday and it may not be in Wichita. That will occur after many more years of coaching our basketball team. There is an axiom of the adage "act like you have been there before". It is "act like you (and our town and university) deserve your coach". Many seem to be sold by the rest of the nation that Gregg's departure has always been inevitable. Do we think so little of ourselves, the town and university that they are right? I'm dumbfounded by people giving in to that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                            When I reread my post I discovered the obvious error and added another line.

If you want to go further back, the downward trend started when Louisville, Memphis, and Cincinnati left the league. Tulsa was also pretty saklty when they left.
                            i agree, my father-in-law and I just had this conversation, going to the AAC would be like the Valley of Yore.
                            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• I went ahead and pinned this thread. At least, until the chatter dies down or the Shocks have completed the move to the AAC.

Go Shocks!
                              “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• From the Bradley Board

At this point, the Valley should really be looking to do what all one-bid leagues try to do - minimumize expenses.

If you take the Summit League, Horizon League, Ohio Valley, and Missouri Valley, you have four low-to-mid conferences in the overlapping footprints. It isn't logical.

These leagues shouldn't be thinking of one-off additions. The reality has changed, the calculus should be for the most efficient operation of the athletic departments.

The Midwestern one-bid leagues should be thinking in terms of a comprehensive reshuffling across geographic lines within the footprint. Frankly, UIC, EIU, ISU, SIU, BU, LUC, etc, etc should be in the same league. Same applies for Indiana and the others. The brand equity of the league is mostly gone and it's not coming back.

Running efficiently is the only viable way to move forward.

And this is why this needs to happen and WSU needs to leave ASAP.

Comment

Working...
                                X