Replacing SMU - A Theoretical Exercise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacing SMU - A Theoretical Exercise

If the American were to choose a new full member to replace SMU, who would you like it to be? For this exercise, we're assuming that the MWC teams are not in play. I don't think they're in play until the PAC figures out what the PAC is going to be and I think a lot of MWC schools will at least wait to see what happens there. With that said, I also acknowledge that if the American were looking to replace SMU, that it would probably be wise to wait and see what happens in the west. There's no need to rush as the conference has plenty of teams. But I'm bored and was curious who the next best options would be if the west never opens up to us. I'm going to add a number of schools on this list alphabetically and am curious as to who those on SN would view most favorably.
    Akron
    0%
    Appalachian State
    0%
    Buffalo
    0%
    Florida International
    0%
    Georgia State
    0%
    James Madison
    9.09%
    Kent State
    0%
    Liberty
    9.09%
    Louisiana
    0%
    Louisiana Tech
    9.09%
    Miami (OH)
    0%
    Middle Tennessee
    0%
    Northern Illinois
    0%
    Ohio
    0%
    Old Dominion
    0%
    Southern Miss
    9.09%
    Toledo
    18.18%
    UMass
    18.18%
    UTEP
    0%
    Western Kentucky
    18.18%
    Other - Name Below
    9.09%
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

I think for Cold's health you should eliminate all the directional schools.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      I think for Cold's health you should eliminate all the directional schools.
      Cold has already lost his marbles.

I tried to go through and find any school located anywhere that might be reasonable and has maybe been mentioned or considered somewhere along the line by someone. I definitely wouldn't consider all of these schools myself, but I didn't want to go out of my way to leave off possibilities someone else might consider.

There are a couple on here I wouldn't mind looking more into and a few I wouldn't be upset with if they were to be added at some point. I don't know what the financial investment into athletics is for any of them at the moment. I know history shows that those who invest towards the top of their current conferences seem to be the most likely to get offered to "move up" to a new conference home. Not that investment is a direct link to success. I also don't know much about these schools on an academic level, and as much as fans dismiss it, it does play a big part when adding schools. The AAC is mostly full of urban research universities, and that has benefited WSU greatly since joining. I'm sure some of these fit well and others don't. But, we also have a few private schools and ECU is definitely not considered an urban university.

In my personal dream world, we'd do everything we could to pull Dayton in to offset Army and wait for the MWC/PAC to figure things out. But I wanted to have a bit of fun with this and see the possible scenarios that might take shape if people participate. Aresco essentially said the west was dead in regards to expansion, but in a couple of years it might be open. If it doesn't open, these are pretty much the list of schools that would be considered. Depending how far down the road we go, a few more could be added. We'll have to see what some of the FCS transitional teams do over the next handful of years. There are a few in Texas that are part of the WAC and CUSA and then there's Delaware which is beginning its transition next year. They're up there with UMass and Temple if the AAC wanted to potentially expand the NE markets a bit. I used to like Buffalo, but they've fallen hard recently. They have the money to invest and they have aspirations for more so I'll always keep my eye on them, but they're not at the top of the list for me right now.

Plus, I've always been intrigued by conference expansion and despite what some think, I do think the AAC has done a pretty damn good job. Adding 6 might have been a bit much, but I get it. Not sure who would have been left out had they only added four. I'm guessing Rice and Charlotte, though Rice would have been hard not to take due to market and potential should they truly invest in athletics. Plus it's the best of the six when it comes to being connected to academically.

My apologies for getting sidetracked.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

sign.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
          You have failed the exercise.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

OK.

Dayton and/or VCU

My other choices would all be MWC teams. Maybe Richmond or Davidson (but only if 1 or the 2 above comes along).

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
              Dayton and/or VCU

My other choices would all be MWC teams. Maybe Richmond or Davidson (but only if 1 or the 2 above comes along).
              None of those teams play FBS football, which was the target of this exercise. Maybe I should have said a full football playing member. Dayton/VCU would be the two most considered by the majority of us to offset Army like we do Navy.

I also stipulated that the MWC would be the more desirable choices and that this is assuming they're off limits because of them waiting on the PAC to figure out what it will become.

This was simply a what if scenario to add a full member of the MWC schools weren't available and we were going to add one member (that plays football) who would you support.

If the AAC is smart, they don't do anything for a few years until the worthwhile MWC schools know if they'll be joining with OSU/WSU in the PAC or if they might be available for poaching if left behind. Or if the PAC can't put together a media deal worth them joining for.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

If the AAC is smart, they don't do anything for a few years until the worthwhile MWC schools know if they'll be joining with OSU/WSU in the PAC or if they might be available for poaching if left behind. Or if the PAC can't put together a media deal worth them joining for.
                Now this sounds more like my first answer.

Comment

None of those teams play FBS football, which was the target of this exercise. Maybe I should have said a full football playing member. Dayton/VCU would be the two most considered by the majority of us to offset Army like we do Navy..
                  But has SMU really played FBS football since their "Death Penalty"?

Comment

Originally posted by pogo View Post

But has SMU really played FBS football since their "Death Penalty"?
                    They just won the AAC I believe.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

That is one extremely sad list

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                        That is one extremely sad list
                        Maybe, but to my knowledge, outside of the MWC, these are the best options that play football. Some could, I think, end up pretty good under the right circumstances. The exposure and financial aspects of the AAC would definitely help all. I never have gone back and looked into the academic side to see which one's I truly think would be considered by the AAC.

Based on what I do know of the AAC, they like urban/metro schools which I think would mostly eliminate Appy State, Louisiana, LaTech, Middle Tennessee (unless it's believed it delivers Nashville), Miami, Ohio, Southern Miss, and Western Kentucky. Liberty is probably out for obvious ideological reasons even though they've moved away from the extremes of Falwell.

I would think that while Akron has had a little success here and there, they'd probably be on the outside looking in.

Buffalo would have to be like Rice and commit to athletics. It's a fantastic school though and they have the money if they want to invest.

Florida International I don't think would really be considered unless USF were to get an invite to one of the power conferences. I just don't see three FL schools in the American. They'd also have to commit to athletics.

I think the American really likes the potential of Georgia State and would put us in Atlanta. But they have things they need to do. There's probably potential there with the right leadership.

I'm not sure if JMU being a private school would be a negative or not. Varied success and a recent move up to FBS.

Northern Illinois used to be one that was seen as a potential move up out of the MAC. Not sure when they were last relevant. But it would give you a presence in the Chicago land area. I also know the Illinois schools have had some financial issues as a whole recently and that probably doesn't help.

Old Dominion would be in the same ballpark as JMU. Private school and recent move up. But there's potential and Virginia isn't a bad place to have a presence.

Toledo I actually really like. Good sized city with a history of success in both major sports. Would put the AAC back in Ohio which would be a positive as well. It's also practically in Michigan which may open recruiting up a bit more there as well. This is who I voted for personally. They've shown a commitment to athletics and are usually pretty solid. I think they have a lot of upside and maybe the best starting point out of all of these options.

UMass I think made more sense when we still had UCon. Good school but outside of a run back when Marcus Camby was relevant I'm not sure they've done much of anything in basketball and they're mostly a joke in football from what I understand.

UTEP would give us another Texas team far away from the others. They've had some levels of success in basketball and I think football (lesser) in the past. Not sure El Paso is really an asset and they seem to be a school that the WAC and CUSA have reluctantly dealt with in the past for numbers.

As I've stated before, obviously the preference would be to wait and see what the PAC/MWC end up doing and see who might be available once that's figured out, and that may be a couple of years. We'd all prefer some sort of combination of Air Force, Colorado State, Utah State, New Mexico, Wyoming, Boise, Nevada, UNLV, or a couple of the CA schools. Odds are, the AAC doesn't do anything until the west takes shape. But if the PAC ends up joining forces with the best of the MWC leaving schools that would be seen by the AAC as undesirable and too far west without others, the above schools are pretty much what it comes down to. I'm sure there may be a couple of others within the Belt/CUSA/MAC that might have potential.

The good news is we aren't in a position where we have to do something now and can wait and see what the landscape looks like in a few years. But I was curious to see how SN would look at the above. Was hoping for more participation to get a better feel, but it is what it is.

If you're looking at locations, ODU and JMU offer a bit of a bridge between Temple and Charlotte. You could throw in Delaware (moving up to FBS so not likely) as another closer option to pair with Temple.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Who is going to replace WSU?

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                            Who is going to replace WSU?
                            Lucky for us, schools don't get kicked out of conferences unless there are major violations/issues. Poor performance doesn't get it done.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Lucky for us, schools don't get kicked out of conferences unless there are major violations/issues. Poor performance doesn't get it done.
                              Most likely WSU's departure, if it were to occur, will be involuntarily voluntary. Meaning the don't really want to leave but circumstances may dictate a move. We are trending in that direction. But trends can be reversed and hopefully that will happen before it's too late.

In the meantime, the entire landscape of college athletics may continue to evolve and change (and not necessarily for the better). Very difficult to foresee where the Shockers may end up with all this.

Comment

Working...
                              X