UAB Coach Retiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UAB Coach Retiring

Not great timing for UAB, as they prepare to transition into the AAC. Coach Clark has done a lot to revive the program and this is a big loss for them.

Eagle - UAB's Bill Clark announces retirement, needs back surgery

UAB coach Bill Clark is retiring because of chronic back problems after leading the program back from a shutdown to two Conference USA titles.

Clark announced his decision on Twitter on Friday after informing the team, saying he needed spinal fusion surgery. He turns 54 on Tuesday.

"I have reached this difficult decision after consultation with a number of world-class medical experts and much family discussion, reflection and prayer,” Clark said in the statement posted on social media. “Having undergone a previous back surgery, extensive physical therapy, shots and chiropractic therapy, I have exhausted all of my options.

"Due to the extreme physical demands placed on a head coach, it is clear to me. It’s time to pass the torch and try and get well.”

Clark went 49-26 in six seasons, winning two Conference USA titles and three West Division championships. The university shut down the program in December 2014 after his debut season, citing financial reasons.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Just saw a report that UAB is looking to hire Trent Dilfer to lead the program. Interesting direction if true.
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      Just saw a report that UAB is looking to hire Trent Dilfer to lead the program. Interesting direction if true.
      That is interesting, and a risk. Never been a Div. 1 or even a college coach. He wouldn't be the first risk taken, and considering that Tennessee Titans hired a former high school coach as their interim coach, definitely not the biggest risk. He does have a name that all football fans would know as a Super Bowl Winning QB, right now. Maybe it pays off.

Comment

ESPN - New UAB coach Trent Dilfer: CFP a 'giant mountain,' but one we should talk about

Dilfer, who won a Super Bowl as quarterback of the Baltimore Ravens in 2001, said he didn't know what to think when UAB athletic director Mark Ingram first gauged his interest in the job.

"I wouldn't use the word 'scared,'" he said. "I was skeptical."

But the more Dilfer thought about it, the more he said his interest grew. People thought he was foolish for taking a job coaching high school football in Tennessee, he said, and on Thursday he'll lead Lipscomb to a state championship game.

"I'll make very few promises," he said. "But this promise I will make: You will get the best of me."

Dilfer said he'd be lying if he said he knew how to recruit at an elite level. But he said he'd learn.

He also acknowledged the players' feelings in him being brought on as coach.
        I'm really curious to see how this works. Dilfer always seemed like an intelligent guy and has found some HS coaching success. I hope he does great at UAB, as that's a school I've always had a soft spot for and I'm not sure why. Maybe just because they're the Dragons. I have no clue.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

This will likely get lost here, but worth reading.

Go get 'em...

""By the way, come try to get my guys," Dilfer said. "I dare you, Power Fives. I got a pretty big platform that I can step on, and if I find you in my kids' DMs, and if I find you talking to high school coaches about my kids -- if you're in my roster, I'm gonna call your ass out. I'm going to say it, by name, to the biggest voices in television today and it's going to make [College] GameDay and it's going to make SportsCenter. By the way, those guys running SportsCenter are still my friends."

Trent Dilfer sends stern message to coaches who may try to poach UAB players: 'I'm gonna call your ass out' - CBSSports.com
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I suddenly f***ing love Trent Dilfer
            "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Working...
            X