Legalize marijuana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm not eating no kale, either.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
      I'm not eating no kale, either.
      This board is full of childlike adults. Damn!
      Last edited by SubGod22; July 27, 2022, 02:51 PM.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Are you saying you never partake in any candies, or sweets in general? I still love candy of all kinds, including fruity candies and rice krispy treats that were also mentioned in the article. Having a sweet tooth doesn't end when you turn 18 or 21.

And as I've said in the past, when it comes to consumption of cannabis, a lot of people have no desire to smoke it for numerous reasons.

Anyone who thinks that these products are specifically designed to target children are delusional. Adults generally like things that taste good. If they didn't, we'd all be eating kale on a regular basis.

I also have at least a handful of friends who make occasional trips to Colorado for edibles. The gummies are quite popular. I know a few that use them to help them sleep, and they swear that they work. I know one that uses them to help with pain management. A couple of others use them to help with their anxiety and swear by them. They all, to the best of my knowledge, like the sweet and fruity tastes because it makes it easier to ingest.

I'm curious as to what kind of edibles you would find acceptable for adults so you wouldn't deem them 'childlike'. You're obviously opposed to the gummies, but then are you also opposed to cookies or brownies or things along those lines? Do you believe that edibles shouldn't have any sweetness to them at all? Should they simply be bland?

By this logic, should no adult ever order anything mac and cheese at a restaurant since it's always an option on the kids menu? Same with chicken strips? If we're giving children sole custody of candy, why not other things as well?

I choose not to partake, but again, I still buy candy for myself often. I generally have a small stockpile of candy at home.

But all of this also gets away from the point of the article and what the council is at least considering. The WPD focusing on cannabis, especially in relatively small amounts, is a waste of resources and money. It's also not a valid reason to potentially ruin lives of people not harming a single soul.

I believe someone on the council was also worried about how this would effect employment in certain fields, but fails to realize that private business could still require sobriety and test for it if they choose to believe it's important to the job at hand. Essentially, that shouldn't be a concern for the councilperson. Private business can take care of itself and if people want to partake in some cannabis from time to time they can choose not to work jobs that don't allow it. It's pretty simple. Hell, there are still businesses in Colorado that test for cannabis as a part of employment. Just because it's legal, or potentially decriminalized in Wichita, doesn't mean it's a free for all and every business has to accept it. We still test and fire for people who are over indulging on alcohol, and it's perfectly legal.

Do you have issues with fruity flavored alcohol too? Are those targeted towards children in your eyes? I've quite enjoyed some blackberry flavored whiskey before as well as different flavors of vodka and rum. All of which have been fruity and/or sweet in nature.

Or do you just have a problem with cannabis in general and looking for any way to make it evil? This is the same shyte logic used to try and ban flavored ecigs. I hate tobacco and the smoke it produces and I would rather be around someone vaping a watermelon (or any other fruit) cartridge, and have been. People argue they're targeted towards kids and simply ignore the fact that a lot of adults prefer things that taste good, which I've already mentioned. And in this case, they smell much better as well.

Selling such things to kids is illegal. That's where the line should be drawn. Not that kids might find it appealing so we won't let adults make the choice to have it.
        Blackberry Whiskey is blasphemous. Shame on you!
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Blackberry Whiskey is blasphemous. Shame on you!
          It's not a regular thing. It also mixes well with multiple sodas.

I also tried the Jameson Orange a few months ago, and it wasn't bad. Probably more something I'd use to mix with other things than to drink straight.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

It's not a regular thing. It also mixes well with multiple sodas.

I also tried the Jameson Orange a few months ago, and it wasn't bad. Probably more something I'd use to mix with other things than to drink straight.
            Sometimes you feel like a whiskey. Sometimes you feel like a cocktail.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• I hate to bring up this subject again because several posters on here feel so strongly that they are right and others are wrong that they want to cancel differing POV. But I heard a story on Fox News today from Dr. Marc Siegel who is the Head of NYU Langone Medical Center that he is concerned about legalized recreational marijuana because of studies that link High-THC Weed to mental health issues including traumatization and psychosis after marijuana use. Dr. Siegel said that sometimes it’s laced with embalming fluid, fentanyl, PCP, and hallucinogens. I don’t know all of the particulars, and I’m just repeating what this medical expert said. He again stated that many think this marijuana is that of old, instead of such a potent drug.

He brought up the subject because Senate Dem. floor Leader, Chuck Schumer wants to change federal laws that make the drug illegal.

I hope people on here will attack the story with their own stories because it seemed to get personal in the past for bringing up POV’s they disagreed with.

Yes, problems may be mostly attached to younger brains under 25. This attached story is not from the one I saw on television, but one he wrote in 2019 regarding this subject.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/dr-m...is-on-the-rise

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                I hate to bring up this subject again because several posters on here feel so strongly that they are right and others are wrong that they want to cancel differing POV. But I heard a story on Fox News today from Dr. Marc Siegel who is the Head of NYU Langone Medical Center that he is concerned about legalized recreational marijuana because of studies that link High-THC Weed to mental health issues including traumatization and psychosis after marijuana use. Dr. Siegel said that sometimes it’s laced with embalming fluid, fentanyl, PCP, and hallucinogens. I don’t know all of the particulars, and I’m just repeating what this medical expert said. He again stated that many think this marijuana is that of old, instead of such a potent drug.

He brought up the subject because Senate Dem. floor Leader, Chuck Schumer wants to change federal laws that make the drug illegal.

I hope people on here will attack the story with their own stories because it seemed to get personal in the past for bringing up POV’s they disagreed with.

Yes, problems may be mostly attached to younger brains under 25. This attached story is not from the one I saw on television, but one he wrote in 2019 regarding this subject.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/dr-m...is-on-the-rise
                Your opinions are welcome on this or any other subject.

First of all, you pointed out one very good reason to legalize…so it WON’T be laced with embalming fluid, fentanyl, or PCP.

Second of all, how long should the small scale (state level) legalization persist before the federal government gets out of it? This was your initial premise. Do you want to retract that and say that you are against legalization no matter what and that you can’t be convinced otherwise, or do you want to commit to an appropriate timeline?
                Last edited by wufan; August 30, 2022, 07:46 PM.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Your opinions are welcome on this or any other subject.

First of all, you pointed out one very good reason to legalize…so it WON’T be laced with embalming fluid, fentanyl, or PCP.

Second of all, how long should the small scale (state level) legalization persist before the federal government gets out of it? This was your initial premise. Do you want to retract that and say that you are against legalization no matter what and that you can’t be convinced otherwise, or do you want to commit to an appropriate timeline?
                  I’m not sure I’m against legalization or not. I’ve mentioned some misgivings and concerns in the past. I wouldn’t have even brought it up except for Dr. Siegel’s concerns and misgivings that he mentioned as a media doctor. In the past, I brought up a grieving mother who lost her son from suicide who brought up what she found out regarding present day marijuana. Dr. Siegel is a highly regarded doctor at a prestigious medical school so I thought I would mention his concerns.

Comment

• I am fine with legalization of marijuana. But this is Kansas. We will probably be the last state in the Union to legalize it. By then I will probably be long gone dead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

I’m not sure I’m against legalization or not. I’ve mentioned some misgivings and concerns in the past. I wouldn’t have even brought it up except for Dr. Siegel’s concerns and misgivings that he mentioned as a media doctor. In the past, I brought up a grieving mother who lost her son from suicide who brought up what she found out regarding present day marijuana. Dr. Siegel is a highly regarded doctor at a prestigious medical school so I thought I would mention his concerns.
                      Inder what conditions would you favor legalization?
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• Did Dr. Siegel really claim that legal marijuana and the legit growers and dispensaries were lacing their product with harmful things that you would see with black market street weed?

If he did, does he really believe this or is he just trying to scare people?
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Did Dr. Siegel really claim that legal marijuana and the legit growers and dispensaries were lacing their product with harmful things that you would see with black market street weed?

If he did, does he really believe this or is he just trying to scare people?
                          He literally said what I said above. Nothing more. I didn't able to ask his motivations.

Comment

• You are acting like legalizing drugs is ALL positive. You have all the answers and it is all good. That's Not true. There have been plenty of negatives in places where it has been legalized, and the people who are fighting hard against it have very good arguments. Be honest about the pros and cons

https://www.debatingeurope.eu/focus/...alising-drugs/

Here's a simple pamphlet arguing both sides.

Arguments for and against legalising drugs

FOR Legalising Drugs AGAINST Legalising Drugs
                            1. PERSONAL FREEDOM

If they are not harming other people, the government has no right to restrict what consenting adults do in their personal lives. It is the right of every individual to decide whether to take drugs. The taking of drugs is a “victimless crime” where only the user is taking any risk. Yes, a violent industry has grown up around the drug trade, but that is a direct consequence of the prohibition of drugs. It is immoral to tell people how they can, or cannot enjoy themselves.
                            1. DRUGS KILL

In the United States, prescription opioids are legal and regulated. Yet, according to the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, overdose deaths from prescription drugs have reached “epidemic levels”. Over 8,400 people died in Europe in 2015 of drug overdoses. Legalising harder drugs like heroin would only lead to more addiction and more deaths. Even if the hardest drugs remained illegal, softer drugs would only act as a gateway to more dangerous substances.
                            2. LEGALISATION MEANS REGULATION

Illegal drugs are frequently cut with toxic substances or with other drugs, and the purity and strength of each batch produced can vary enormously. This is because drugs are bought and sold on the black market, away from the rules and enforcement mechanisms of legal products. If drugs were legalised, then they could be standardised and regulated.
                            2. MORE PEOPLE WILL USE IT

Drugs are highly addictive. Over seven million people are classified with illicit drug dependence or abuse in the United States. Making it legal will mean more people will use it – including young people – and more people will become addicted.
                            3. MORE EFFECTIVE TREATMENT OF ADDICTION

If drugs were legal, it would be easier to identify and treat people with addiction. Drug addiction should be treated as a medical issue, not an issue of criminal justice. Addicts are driven underground if the purchase and possession of drugs is illegal. Legalisation of drugs could be accompanied by more effective pathways to rehabilitation and support for addicts.
                            3. LEGALISING DRUGS WON’T SOLVE SOCIAL PROBLEMS

Legalising drugs won’t stop violence and social problems. Just look at Amsterdam or the Czech Republic, where more liberal approaches have led to increases in drug tourism and public disorder. In the Netherlands, some cities have been tightening restrictions on cannabis because of this. Furthermore, the US Drug Enforcement Administration claims that “crime, violence and drug use go hand in hand”. They argue that “six times as many homicides are committed by people under the influence of drugs, as by those who are looking for money to buy drugs”.

Comment

• Literally nobody here has said it's ALL positive.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• There are absolutely negative externalities associated with drug use, and even legal drug use would still have certain incidents that are illegal (youth, public intoxication, school + others potentially).

The question of legalization is whether or not you see it fit to lock up recreational users, not whether you think it is a good idea or a bad idea to smoke.

OTOH, if you believe that you have to protect vulnerable people from themselves because they can’t be trusted, that’s fine. I just object to that from a moral perspective. I am ideologically predisposed to freedom of the individual as the most important value. If you disagree with my ideology, you should come out and say that, then we know what our beliefs/arguments are/should be. If you truly believe in the freedom for an individual to act in anyway that doesn’t cause harm to someone else, then ask yourself why you would ever oppose the right to ingest marijuana, alcohol, tobacco, fat, corn syrup, or red meat.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X