Legalize marijuana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The question on Form 4473 is interesting for several reasons
    Are you an unlawful user of, or addicted to, marijuana or any depressant, stimulant, narcotic drug, or any other controlled substance?
    Evidently it's legal to buy a gun if you are a legal user of marijuana (live in a state where medical or recreational is legal), but not if you live in any other state.

Then there's the vague term, "user of". What does that mean? Did you smoke some weed last month, or last week, and does that make you a user? Or do you need to smoke daily to be called a user? Then there's the alcohol issue. Alcohol is a depressant, so if you have a drink every day, are you addicted to alcohol? That would mean you'd have to answer yes to that question. Do multiple DUI's indicate that person is addicted to alcohol and must be banned from buying a gun?

Then there's the restraining order question. You're only banned from buying a gun if there's a restraining order, or a stalking order against you involving your child, an intimate partner, or the child of an intimate partner. If you have a restraining order against you from anyone else, here's your gun.

You would think the NRA drafted that thing and gave it to Congress.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
      Unfortunately, it is still very clearly an "if." That "if" is not based on state votes or popular opinion, but by the decisions made by Trump and his judicial appointments. No matter what the states do, if the federal government wants to shut it down, it can. Marijuana is still federally illegal, considered a drug with no medical benefits. Obama has had a very hands-off approach to the issue, and if Trump continues this then legalization will continue. But Trump and his picks could just as easily decide to bring the full wrath of the federal government down on the system, prosecuting growers/sellers/etc.
      Sure, the administration "can" do those things. It would cause tremendous disruption though, and there is obviously a path of least resistance here - on the campaign trail, Trump showed a penchant for deferring to states on controversial matters and did not voice a preference for the actions you outline above (unless I missed it, which is certainly possible).

California's economy is larger than France's. Cracking skulls on this would present some serious difficulties. If anything, my guess is you will see increased cooperation at the federal level to streamline and enhance tax and financial reporting obligations.

Comment

One of the best things the Feds could do is allow the industry to use the banking system. Doing everything in cash is a recipe for corruption to infiltrate the industry.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          The question on Form 4473 is interesting for several reasons

Evidently it's legal to buy a gun if you are a legal user of marijuana (live in a state where medical or recreational is legal), but not if you live in any other state.

Then there's the vague term, "user of". What does that mean? Did you smoke some weed last month, or last week, and does that make you a user? Or do you need to smoke daily to be called a user? Then there's the alcohol issue. Alcohol is a depressant, so if you have a drink every day, are you addicted to alcohol? That would mean you'd have to answer yes to that question. Do multiple DUI's indicate that person is addicted to alcohol and must be banned from buying a gun?

Then there's the restraining order question. You're only banned from buying a gun if there's a restraining order, or a stalking order against you involving your child, an intimate partner, or the child of an intimate partner. If you have a restraining order against you from anyone else, here's your gun.

You would think the NRA drafted that thing and gave it to Congress.
          All good questions. Here is another twist for u - this is a federal form, regardless of what that state passes, the federal law doesn't recognize the state decriminalization or medical laws.

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Ouch:

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Now a kid just has to eat some candy to get engineered ultra-strength marijuana. It's getting down right scary especially for the drug to be acquired by 12-21 year old minors whose brains are still growing.

"Underage kids have unbelievable access to nuclear-strength weed," said Andrew Brandt, a Boulder, Colo., software executive whose son got hooked while in high school.

With some marijuana products averaging 68 percent THC - exponentially greater than the pot baby boomers once smoked - calls to poison control centers and visits to emergency rooms have risen. In the Denver area, visits to Children's Hospital Colorado facilities for treatment of cyclic vomiting,

Comment

Ouch??

Nothing in that article surprises me one bit. Did you not expect what was written? With additional freedoms comes additional responsibilities. Even good parents cannot totally control their kids and the influence other kids (or adults) may have on them. There is a reason we call cigarettes, alcohol, and drugs vices. Many can control their own use, if any use at all. Others, particularly youth, things aren't so easy. The more "easy choices" there are, the easier the access. I guess the question is: While trying to take an illegal drug off the streets and reduce criminal control and the problems related to all of that, are we prepared to handle the consequences of making that drug "legal", the potential of more human use (young and old), and it being more in control of the government and it's potential lack of efficiencies?

Comment

So we allowed morons who want to get high to convince people weed is medicine. Then it's safe for everyone.

So we start making it legal everywhere.

And now we have problems with kids because the weed sellers are repeating the candy cigarettes of the 50s-70s.

Seriously, if we don't learn from history, we're doomed to repeat it. And that's EXACTLY what's happening here.

Every single state legislature will have already pre-spent all the anticipated weed money coming in. And we'll need billions to help those that can't control it, many of whom will have paid for the weed with government handouts, directly or indirectly.

Who exactly didn't see this coming? But by all means, let's legalize it as fast as humanly possible in Kansas. I have so many productive employees that are high, I need more, fast!

Comment

• WuDrWu
                      WuDrWu commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Awesome Sauce Malone please expound on the virtues of marijuana. Why is it good?

• Kel Varnsen
                      Kel Varnsen commented
                      Editing a comment
                      As libertarian as I am on a lot of issues, I have become less so when I realized two things: First, people didn't want it legalized for medicinal use, they wanted it legalized for recreational use. Second, the societal effects are not good.

• SB Shock
                      SB Shock commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I wonder what Teddy would say?

Well maybe we can legalize magic mushrooms while we are at it. Then we can make sure our city parks are open to the druggies so they aren’t sleeping in people’s back yards

Comment

That was random...
                      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I think someone is practicing what they preach!
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                          I think someone is practicing what they preach!
                          Watch and learn...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

MARIJUANA ARRESTS BY THE NUMBERS

According to the ACLU’s original analysis, marijuana arrests now account for over half of all drug arrests in the United States. Of the 8.2 million marijuana arrests between 2001 and 2010, 88% were for simply having marijuana. Nationwide, the arrest data revealed one consistent trend: significant racial bias. Despite roughly equal usage rates, Blacks are 3.73 times more likely than whites to be arrested for marijuana.

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
                              I am in favor of abolishing marijuana laws and regulating it. This absolutely effects black folks more than any other group despite equal usage rates. This is a case of inequity. I would grant a time served pardon to any first time offenders without other violent crimes. A couple of things:

While the percentage of people that use marijuana is consistent between whites and blacks, it’s not clear that the amount used individually is the same from the studies I have seen.

Based on interactions with the police, the arrest rate is basically the same between races.

Those spending time in prison for possession usually plead down from a higher level offense and/or were repeat offenders.

Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X