No announcement yet.

Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I can live with that if it achieves the stated goals. I suppose that is far from a certainty. Whether very many of my fellow Americans share that opinion is somewhat doubtful.

I don't like to see our ag sector taking so much of the brunt and that needs to be cushioned as much as possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      J.P. Morgan says the tariffs will cost an "average household" $1,000.

https://www.kwch.com/content/news/La...6Qsjm8itA-YY-Q
      My suspicion is it cost Americans a lot more than $1,000 per household for just doing business with China. U.S. biggest export is intellectual property (which U.S. get no compensation for). U.S. biggest export is aircraft (18 billion) while China biggest exports is electronics (152B), machinery (117B), furniture and bedding (35B), toys and sports equipment (27B) and plastics (19B). U.S. trade to China is a mirage.

Apple uses the cheap labor to lower their cost, but they don’t pass the saving on to their customers. They reap the the profits.

Look at some stories on Biden’s family and how they reaped contracts with China.

China 2nd biggest importer is Hong Kong. Can you say money laundering......

China is corrupt. China is evil. China is at war with the U.S., but we are to concerned with our corporate profit that really only helps the 1% in this country.

Comment

J.P. Morgan says the tariffs will cost an "average household" $1,000.

https://www.kwch.com/content/news/La...6Qsjm8itA-YY-Q
        My economics professor always told us that tariffs are bad and those displaced from their jobs due to globalization should retrain... sounds easy enough.

Tell that to the factory worker with a family that got laid off from his/her 30/hr job and was forced into the service industry. There are millions and millions of those folks out there. Millions more if you count their colleagues who've managed to retain their blue-collar jobs but are still making the same income (relatively) that they made in the 90's.

I'm thinking the forgotten "workers" of America would prefer to pay a little higher prices for their toys in exchange for their old jobs. A side benefit would be China still stuck in the 17th century.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• wufan
          wufan commented
          Editing a comment
          Maybe. Certainly folks need jobs. Certainly folks without jobs would take less to get a foot in the door. As far as I am aware, tariffs are never an economic net benefit.

• Unrestrained (unchallenged by virtuous people) pursuits of profit and "efficiency" can be a real danger of capitalism. I wish employees bought more of their own company's stock and let their voices be heard. Did Boeing really need to move so much of its production to China in order to "stay competitive"?

T

Comment

• My retirement $$ are tied to the value of farm land. I've taken about a $200,000 hit so far. I hope I have a right to be concerned. BTW, the types who run farmer's organizations are typically some of the most loyal Republicans you will ever find.

I know most in this forum aren't receptive to alternative viewpoints, but I believe I've earned the right to mine. I used to be a solid Republican. Then I got cancer and became unemployed and had a pre-esxisting condition. About that time Brownback and a conservative Republican legislature took Kansas to the brink of bankruptcy, and took so much money out of the DoT that it will be decades to rebuild that fund. Now Trump's tariffs are destroying my retirement dollars.

If farmers stop spending, the Kansas economy goes in the tank.

https://www.newsweek.com/china-trade...HJ6Ymx09N6gSjQ
          Last edited by Aargh; September 7, 2019, 08:33 AM.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• China's becoming super aggressive. Europe has blinders on their eyes to China and Iran. Those who say we should work with Europe to team up against China need to just look at how many German businesses (other European countries too) want to do business with China. China is also trying to move their influence and business into the Caribbean, South America, and even Greenland. China in the future, is wanting to put their foot on top of the entire world and dominate.

If we don't do something about China now, it could be like putting a frog into warm water. It doesn't seem so bad but slowly it begins to boil until it is too late. Trump, for all of his faults seems to be the only leader in the world who foresees what is going to happen in the future. Globalization isn't what it seems.

Comment

My retirement $$ are tied to the value of farm land. I've taken about a $200,000 hit so far. I hope I have a right to be concerned. BTW, the types who run farmer's organizations are typically some of the most loyal Republicans you will ever find.

I know most in this forum aren't receptive to alternative viewpoints, but I believe I've earned the right to mine. I used to be a solid Republican. Then I got cancer and became unemployed and had a pre-esxisting condition. About that time Brownback and a conservative Republican legislature took Kansas to the brink of bankruptcy, and took so much money out of the DoT that it will be decades to rebuild that fund. Now Trump's tariffs are destroying my retirement dollars.

pinstripers, what are you seeing?
              Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

My retirement $$ are tied to the value of farm land. I've taken about a $200,000 hit so far. I hope I have a right to be concerned. BTW, the types who run farmer's organizations are typically some of the most loyal Republicans you will ever find.

I have great sympathy for those that fall on hard times due to economic and health issues. I’m glad we live in a country where we help people through this. Farmland dropped about 20% since 2015 peaks. That means that you had a million dollars worth of farmland. Good for you. That’s a hell of a bounce back after the Republican Party took your job and tried to take your life! Hopefully Bernie can bring health and prosperity back for you!
                Last edited by wufan; September 7, 2019, 12:31 PM.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• Aargh
                  Aargh commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The farmland in the area where I have some interest has dropped from a peak of $4,000 - $4,500 an acre to around$2,500 an acre. The primary buyers are farmers in their 40's and they have a lot of debt and have lost a lot of equity, which makes it difficult for them to buy land, which drops the price.

Only abut $1,000 of the price drop has occurred since 2017. $1,000 an acre times 200 acres is $200,000. Agricultural export markets won't rebound as soon as the tariffs are lifted.

There are 45,759,319 acres of farmland in Kansas. A loss of $1,000 an acre over a two-year period represents a loss of $45 billion dollars of value to Kansas farmers. It represents a loss of around 33% of value. If the same thing had happened in the stock market, there would be major problems, adjustments and bailouts. when it happens to farmers in Kansas it's "for the good of the country".

• wufan
                  wufan commented
                  Editing a comment

Farmland is down 15% since it peaked in 2013. That’s about $600 per acre. It’s up about 2%, or basically flat since 2017. That is not good for farmers that want to sell out their business. It is very sad to me that Sam Brownback stole 30% from you between 2013 and 2017 and that Donald Trump stole another 30%.

About that time Brownback took Kansas to the brink of bankruptcy, and took so much money out of the DoT that it will be decades to rebuild that fund. Now Trump's tariffs are destroying my retirement dollars.
                You have definitely fallen on hard times. Hopefully, it doesn’t continue for long. I do agree that Brownback and the legislature experimented on tax policies that failed and then Brownback doubled down when numerous conservatives disagreed and wanted him to alter his tax tactics which fell on deaf ears. The Republican candidate for a Governor was a bad candidate who couldn’t win but I’m not on board with the democrat Governor either. Your health care crisis could have been averted if McCain hadn’t voted against the Republican Plan on health care. IMO, that plan was our best possibility and it lost by one vote. I hope that a reasonable alternative can be found in the future. Obama Care and the democrat plans for Socialized Medicine are all failures imo.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                  C0|dB|00ded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Your healthcare crisis occurred while you didn't have health insurance? That's called gambling friend, and you nearly crapped out. Do you think you should be allowed to shop for fire insurance while your house is burning to the ground? You buy health insurance in case you get cancer, not because...

T

• wufan
                  wufan commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I believe he lost his healthcare due to a job loss. The two were tied together, and since he had a pre-existing condition, he couldn’t get coverage.

• C0|dB|00ded
                  C0|dB|00ded commented
                  Editing a comment
                  There's no pre-existing issue if you maintain coverage after leaving your job. It's expensive, but if you have a known condition, it might be considered cheap.

There's always a way to overcome.

I beat my rising Bum Care premium by joining a medical cost-sharing network. It's been in business since '81. Now I have a premium that is 1/3 of what it would be under Bum today. I have unlimited coverage.

T

• This was a video posted by a group attempting to garner support for blocking the wall. Read the comments below the video...

The 'Tards won't know what hit 'em in 2020.

#SilentMajorities

T

Comment

• Here you go lazies.

T

Comment

• Outright lying, and it's just "Ho Hum (that's for you-know-who), what's the big deal..."

New York Times reporter Robin Pogrebin seems determined to humiliate her newsroom at every turn — and all for the sake of selling her new book.First, she published a hilariously ill-advised tweet from one of the Times' main social media accounts this weekend, promoting an excerpt from her upcoming book. Pogrebin then threw her editors

And people wonder why Trump won the Presidency.

Comment

• What is with members of the Trump family releasing documents that are meant to be exonerating but are actually incredibly incriminating? To be clear, I'm not sure anyone on here who plans to vote for him in 2020 is going to be swayed by it, but that transcript of the Ukraine call is really bad.

Ukraine President: "We are ready to continue to cooperate for the next steps specifically we are almost ready to buy more Javelins from the United States for defense purposes."

Trump: "I would like you to do us a favor though because our country has been through a lot and Ukraine knows a lot about it." [quick discussion about Mueller investigation, before saying...] "The other thing, There's a lot of talk about Biden's son, that Biden stopped the prosecution and a lot of people want to find out about that so whatever you can do with the Attorney General would be great."

First of all, it's unbelievable that people aren't worried that the president of the United States is going to a foreign power to help start an investigation into a US citizen who happens to be the son of his political opponent. Full stop. Fringe legal at best, and if the Supreme Court were to find something like this legal, it would only be because the Constitution did not foresee this use of presidential power.

Second, Trump literally responds to the Ukrainian president's indication about buying additional weapons with "I would like you to do us a favor" and responds with (i) the Mueller investigation; and (ii) Biden's son. Absolutely unbelievable.

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
                      ShockingButTrue commented
                      Editing a comment
                      tsk tsk...

C'mon jd, your spins are usually much more intelligent than this. You're expressing The View type fodder.

You're trolling aren't you?

• C0|dB|00ded
                      C0|dB|00ded commented
                      Editing a comment
                      "First of all, it's unbelievable that people aren't worried that the president of the United States is going to a foreign power to help start an investigation into a US citizen"

Now you're catching on JD! I was very worried when the Obama Team did that very thing to Donald Trump.

As far as the Biden thing... he's on video bragging about how he blackmailed a foreign president into taking specific actions that directly/indirectly benefited his son. Pot meet an entire warehouse of kettles.

T

• https://time.com/5685980/justice-dep...paign-finance/

...and?

No?

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
                      Why do you think they rejected the alternate headline of "Barr led DOJ declines to investigate Trump's plea for Ukraine to work with Barr to investigate political opponent"?

In all seriousness, it's not cut and dry whether it is legal. The GOP wants to make it all about whether there is a "quid pro quo," (which... I mean, the guy says in response to a request for aid "I want you to do me a favor, though"). That might not even be the right framework. I haven't seen anything to suggest a quid pro quo would even be necessary to prove wrongdoing.

The more important issue, in my opinion, is that no reasonable person should want their government to work this way. It's bonkers.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                        C0|dB|00ded commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I love how our president easily bonds with foreign leaders who have our best interests in mind.

The Democrats have devolved to the point where they are ready to burn this entire country down over talking points. All this damage being done for what? In one month we could have immigration reformed, necessary infrastructure projects underway, healthcare reformed, etc. etc.

So very sad.

T

Working...
                    X