Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Supreme Court possibly overturning Roe v Wade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I say if you want to die, do it yourself. It’s a horrible awful thing and I don’t want anyone to commit suicide, but it happens. You may destroy your family in the process, but don’t bring someone else into the process.

Suicide legal. Assisted suicide illegal.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Channel 12 showed the recount counties tonight.
      Sedgwick Co. was quite close with No’s only winning by 12K
      Shawnee Co. No’s won by 20K
      Douglas Co. No’s won by 30K
      Johnson Co. No’s won by almost 100K
      Harvey, Crawford, No by 1K each
      Lyon Co. No by 2.5 K

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        Channel 12 showed the recount counties tonight.
        Sedgwick Co. was quite close with No’s only winning by 12K
        That is not close. The vote was 58% to 42% in Sedgwick county. That 12K is a landslide for the “no’s”

i would be interested to know why they are doing the recount - because it is just throwing away money.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

That is not close. The vote was 58% to 42% in Sedgwick county. That 12K is a landslide for the “no’s”

i would be interested to know why they are doing the recount - because it is just throwing away money.
          I believe all the counties have to do a certain percentage of races as a recount. I would venture that not all counties recounted the amendment question. That or stone didn't believe it and demanded it?

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post

I believe all the counties have to do a certain percentage of races as a recount. I would venture that not all counties recounted the amendment question. That or stone didn't believe it and demanded it?
            The only reason there is recount happened was a individual payed $120,000 for the recount of Douglas, Sedgwick, Crawford, Jefferson, Harvey, Shawnee and Lyon counties. The full state recount was $229,000 which I guess was to much.

Comment

Mark Gietzen and another person are splitting up the $120.000 cost. I agree that it is a fools errand to spend the money because it won't change anything. Gietzen was probably the architect of the amendment, and it's largely his fault for the badly written amendment, so he's taking it personally is my speculation.

Well the 12 K was a misprint last night (They had 42K to 30K numbers rounded, it's actually 82 to 61), but the percentages are still approximately a 60/40 (just less) split in Sedgwick County.

I'm going to give a different POV and show how in the most populous counties (Douglas, Shawnee, Johnson, and Sedgwick) that are being recounted, Sedgwick is a significantly smaller split than the other counties. The numbers are rounded but in the ball park.

Douglas (Lawrence) County No 80% 38K - Yes 20% 8.5K
              Shawnee (Topeka) County No 70% 42K - Yes 30% 21K
              Johnson County No 70% 170K-Yes 30% 78K
              Sedgwick County No 60% 82K - Yes 40% 61K

Either way, it doesn't really matter and it wasn't a close vote, but I was surprised that Sedgwick County was a much closer percentage split than any other other populous counties. Johnson County doubled Sedgwick County votes, and was a huge factor in the landslide.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Mark Gietzen and another person are splitting up the $120.000 cost. I agree that it is a fools errand to spend the money because it won't change anything. Gietzen was probably the architect of the amendment, and it's largely his fault for the badly written amendment, so he's taking it personally is my speculation.

Well the 12 K was a misprint last night (They had 42K to 30K numbers rounded, it's actually 82 to 61), but the percentages are still approximately a 60/40 (just less) split in Sedgwick County.

I'm going to give a different POV and show how in the most populous counties (Douglas, Shawnee, Johnson, and Sedgwick) that are being recounted, Sedgwick is a significantly smaller split than the other counties. The numbers are rounded but in the ball park.

Douglas (Lawrence) County No 80% 38K - Yes 20% 8.5K
                Shawnee (Topeka) County No 70% 42K - Yes 30% 21K
                Johnson County No 70% 170K-Yes 30% 78K
                Sedgwick County No 60% 82K - Yes 40% 61K

Either way, it doesn't really matter and it wasn't a close vote, but I was surprised that Sedgwick County was a much closer percentage split than any other other populous counties. Johnson County doubled Sedgwick County votes, and was a huge factor in the landslide.
                Sedgwick County and the rural counties balance out the KC area, Once Sedgwick county goes blue, so goes the state. Doesn’t seem that it is to far away.

Comment

Sedgwick County and the rural counties balance out the KC area, Once Sedgwick county goes blue, so goes the state. Doesn’t seem that it is to far away.
                  I would say Kansas is generally unhappy with the Republican Party. That’s significantly different than being “blue”.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

I would say Kansas is generally unhappy with the Republican Party. That’s significantly different than being “blue”.
                    Not if u are voting for democratic agendas.

Comment

Your strict black and white thinking is the issue. Most people aren't that rigid. There were a lot of people who don't like the Dem agenda that voted no because the proposal was written poorly and gave no parameters for what would follow. It had nothing to do with red vs blue.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

You’re still not getting it.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Your strict black and white thinking is the issue. Most people aren't that rigid. There were a lot of people who don't like the Dem agenda that voted no because the proposal was written poorly and gave no parameters for what would follow. It had nothing to do with red vs blue.
                          There is right and wrong.

You can rationalize your no vote any way u want. But the rural voters understood that is why they voted overwhelming yes. They understood that if they wanted to have say on abortion you have to make sure the constitution is clear and that the Supreme Court can’t make up rights.

Kansas had a chance to stand up for what is right and they did not have the moral courage to do so.

Comment

There is right and wrong.

You can rationalize your no vote any way u want. But the rural voters understood that is why they voted overwhelming yes. They understood that if they wanted to have say on abortion you have to make sure the constitution is clear and that the Supreme Court can’t make up rights.

Kansas had a chance to stand up for what is right and they did not have the moral courage to do so.
                            They didn't have the "courage" to give the state government a blank check to do whatever they wanted. Again, if there were something on the ballot that outlined what was truly wanted then I think it probably passes.

I don't think it's ever right to give government officials a blank check on anything. I'd like to think they'd come to a reasonable and well thought out law outlining what is allowed and when. But I can't blame many others for not trusting those who allegedly represent them to do it and not go to extremes like I believe Idaho has, or has at least tried to do.

Most states with restrictions at this point have exceptions and a time frame. One would like to think Kansas would model any potential decision around those things, but can we trust them to truly do so? The voters said no.

Though I like how you went from this is a sign of Kansas turning blue and backing that up with anyone who would vote no must support the Dem agenda to now saying it's between right and wrong. You may very well think all of that is the same thing, but most people aren't going to agree.

Most people don't have blind faith in government to get things right. You have way too much faith in those in Topeka, and too little in the average Kansan. Most of the country supports restrictions. The majority of Kansans support restrictions. The majority don't support an outright bad for all abortions and that was the fear of voting yes for this. Maybe you completely support no exceptions and if you do, that's fine. Most don't agree with that. Maybe you have faith that Topeka would take a reasoned approach and enact a law of limitations but reasonable exceptions. Most don't trust them that much and that shows in the outcome.

But again, this had nothing to do with republicans or democrats or supporting an agenda of either. This was all about if we were willing to give the state government too much power and influence and I'm honestly surprised that so many said no to that. I think it also shows that the conservative element in Kansas isn't as blinded by party line antics and throwing blind power behind republicans no matter what. Voting no was a message to them to get it right next time if they want something like this to pass. The good news for those who want more restrictions is that this isn't a dead issue and they're researching and evaluating where they went wrong. Hopefully next time they present a bill that gives more specifics on what is wanted. I look forward to seeing that vote and the results will be very different than the one we just had.

There's a reason it was soundly defeated and it has nothing to do with politics, or right or wrong. It had to do with keeping government in check. I'm glad to see so many conservatives/republicans see that.

Kansas is still a red state. It's just not as deeply blinded by red as some in the national media always portray it or that you apparently wish it was.

To sum up, abortion is bad. But so is government. Even more so a government with no restraints.
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                              I don't think it's ever right to give government officials a blank check on anything.
                              you seem to misunderstand how close our Democracy is to becoming a corrupt Republic or Banana Republic.

This is the one line that you wrote, more than once that I totally disagree with. If you believe in Democracy or forms of Democracy (instead of Autocracy or Elitism) such as Republicanism, there is no blank check. Representatives are voted in every couple of years. To give this power to a small number of unelected men/women who wear Black Robes, is what happened in Venezuela or what happens in corrupt countries like Mexico. One of the first things those countries did was to give emergency powers to their courts, which turns out to be a short distance to a “Banana Republic” full of corruption.

Voting is the Holy Grail of Democracies. A true Democracy wants the power of decisions to be in the hands of Elected Representatives, which can be turned over every couple of years, not the “Elites”.

Comment

• We absolutely have elected elites.

There's zero doubt we're headed in the wrong direction. The real question is HOW we change course.

Comment

Working...
                                X