No announcement yet.

Trial on Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The judge (correctly) also said the defense couldn't use his past priors. He took a gun to a school after graduating, and he was guilty of shoplifting a television and he was still on probation for that incident.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      The judge (correctly) also said the defense couldn't use his past priors. He took a gun to a school after graduating, and he was guilty of shoplifting a television and he was still on probation for that incident.
      Agree that the priors were irrelevant. My understanding is that the judge incorrectly interrupted the “citizens arrest” statute. That will certainly go through an appeal. It may not result in their acquittal, but it was the defenses entire case.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Sentences handed down today, life PLUS 20 for dad and son (NO possibility of parole) and life for the neighbor, could be paroled after 30 years.

They got the hammer. Probably fortunate they didn't get the chair.

Comment

Wait, so he was a thief?
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Wait, so he was a thief?
              He was also seen on camera entering the home multiple times at night. He was not seen stealing during those instances, but things in the area were stolen after the arch time he was as seen.
              Livin the dream

Comment

Probably fortunate they didn't get the chair.
                I don't think the chair is used much anymore. Lethal injection, but same result I guess. Nevertheless, spending my life in a correctional facility would not necessarily be my preference. I would prefer the jab and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

He was also seen on camera entering the home multiple times at night. He was not seen stealing during those instances, but things in the area were stolen after the arch time he was as seen.
                  The thing for me is even if you assume this is all correct and he was a thief caught in the act. These men had no business engaging him, creating a dangerous situation they weren't trained to handle which resulted in death.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

I don't think the chair is used much anymore. Lethal injection, but same result I guess. Nevertheless, spending my life in a correctional facility would not necessarily be my preference. I would prefer the jab and be done with it.
                    Agree, “ridin’ the lightning” wouldn’t be my first choice.

RIP John Coffey (Michael Clarke Duncan)
                    "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by shockerfan34 View Post

The thing for me is even if you assume this is all correct and he was a thief caught in the act. These men had no business engaging him, creating a dangerous situation they weren't trained to handle which resulted in death.
                      There were a lot of laws in Georgia that made this legally questionable. The court answered them.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Unguarded construction sites no longer leave valuable materials just lying around anymore. They almost always have at least a covered trailer at the site for those things or they take the materials with them.

It's all hindsight, but if the neighborhood had been having lot's of theft going on, take a picture, and get it to the owners of those properties or the police, who have investigators. Neighborhood watches do wonders for neighborhood crime. Just my unsolicited opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                          Unguarded construction sites no longer leave valuable materials just lying around anymore. They almost always have at least a covered trailer at the site for those things or they take the materials with them.

It's all hindsight, but if the neighborhood had been having lot's of theft going on, take a picture, and get it to the owners of those properties or the police, who have investigators. Neighborhood watches do wonders for neighborhood crime. Just my unsolicited opinion.
                          Ummm….that’s exactly what happened. Arbery was the suspect that was in the picture circulated by police. The guilty parties assisted the police in the search for him previously. The owner was told to contact the guilty parties, by the police, if they saw him.

Despite all of that, the attempted detainment was ruled to be illegal. Since that was the case, the death was ruled to be felony murder.

The police are not your friends.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Ummm….that’s exactly what happened. Arbery was the suspect that was in the picture circulated by police. The guilty parties assisted the police in the search for him previously. The owner was told to contact the guilty parties, by the police, if they saw him.

Despite all of that, the attempted detainment was ruled to be illegal. Since that was the case, the death was ruled to be felony murder.

One, they didn't know the law. Two, if they thought they needed to brandish a firearm, they shouldn't be there. Three, if they called the police and they just didn't come out, take pictures of the suspect from a short distance. Four, continue to follow, but don't engage for as long as it is safe to do so.

While they were undoubtably provoking Arbery by following him and them handling a gun. I still feel Arbrey initiated the scuffle and in no way, should have grabbed the barrel of the rifle. That wasn't and didn't end well for them or him. Stupid is as stupid does. And that's all I've got to say about that.

Comment

This is one of those situations where they and you may think they were in the right, but some people and this jury disagree. The Judge disagreed with you too. At the very least, the three took a risk, over property, and now they are going to spend the remainder of their lives in prison.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

One, they didn't know the law. Two, if they thought they needed to brandish a firearm, they shouldn't be there. Three, if they called the police and they just didn't come out, take pictures of the suspect from a short distance. Four, continue to follow, but don't engage for as long as it is safe to do so.
                                I have heard of Neighborhood Associations having meetings and inviting police to visit with the citizens, regarding their options, and what they should do.

Comment

Working...
                                X