X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trial on Death of Ahmaud Arbery

Trial on Death of Ahmaud Arbery Is Coming to a Close

https://redstate.com/jeffc/2021/11/2...-close-n480695

i haven't followed this trial nearly as closely as I did the Rittenhouse trial.

However, If I had to place a bet my money will be on the three accused men being found guilty on at least some of the more serious charges against them. And that is probably as it should be from what I do know of this case.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; November 23, 2021, 04:13 PM.

These guys need to go to prison.
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      These guys need to go to prison.
      IMO, these guys did not intentionally do anything wrong; but they absolutely did.
      Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

IMO, these guys did not intentionally do anything wrong; but they absolutely did.
        Well put.

Comment

Taking the case in chronological order:

Someone was breaking into a construction site and stealing things. On multiple occasions the police AND defendants investigated the break ins as they were happening and searched for suspects. The owner of the home requested the neighborhood keep an eye on it.

Arbery is in the construction site (illegal trespass misdemeanor). He was pursued by the defendants, tried to flee, and they cornered him. Arbery rushed one of the defendants and grabbed his gun. Arbery was shot in the process.

Taking the case with only relevant information:

After the misdemeanor, Arbery leaves the scene. When the defendants attempted to detain (kidnap) him, he tried to resist and was killed while doing so.

I imagine there is a manslaughter conviction along with some unlawful detainment convictions. That would be justice. They might throw the book at them though.
          Livin the dream

Comment

Taking the case in chronological order:

Someone was breaking into a construction site and stealing things. On multiple occasions the police AND defendants investigated the break ins as they were happening and searched for suspects. The owner of the home requested the neighborhood keep an eye on it.

Arbery is in the construction site (illegal trespass misdemeanor). He was pursued by the defendants, tried to flee, and they cornered him. Arbery rushed one of the defendants and grabbed his gun. Arbery was shot in the process.

Taking the case with only relevant information:

After the misdemeanor, Arbery leaves the scene. When the defendants attempted to detain (kidnap) him, he tried to resist and was killed while doing so.

I imagine there is a manslaughter conviction along with some unlawful detainment convictions. That would be justice. They might throw the book at them though.
            Exactly. However logical the manslaughter and detainment charges seem, these guys are going down hard. Not that it is right, but that is what will happen. They absolutely are guilty of some charges but I do not think it was premeditated or planned in advance.

Comment

Each of the defendants faces nine separate charges, including malice and felony murder (four), aggravated assault (two), false imprisonment, and criminal attempt to commit a felony.

If the jury finds Bryan not guilty of the second aggravated assault charge, they can consider three lesser misdemeanor charges for simple assault, reckless conduct, or reckless driving.

Comment

Couple of points.

The defense of the McMicheals claimed the shooting was in the process of a citizen arrest. Georgia law only allows the citizen arrest to happen within 24 hours of the crime being witnessed. The McMicheals admitted they never saw Arbery commit a crime.

If the jury concludes that the McMicheals detaining Arbry was illegal than they would have to find them guilty of felony murder at a minimum.

Comment

Good explanation of the charges. McMichaels should be guilty of Felony Murder. Bryan is dependent on if the prosecution can link his action to the killing. She tried to say that without his action Arbery could have escaped. Not sure I buy it enough to say murder. Definitely think guilty of assault.
                  Jurors in the trial of the three men charged in the killing of Ahmaud Arbery must decide whether one or all of them is guilty of murder

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    Each of the defendants faces nine separate charges, including malice and felony murder (four), aggravated assault (two), false imprisonment, and criminal attempt to commit a felony.

If the jury finds Bryan not guilty of the second aggravated assault charge, they can consider three lesser misdemeanor charges for simple assault, reckless conduct, or reckless driving.
                    I don’t know how you hold the guy in the tailing vehicle guilty of murder. Maybe I missed something?
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by jdmee View Post
                      Couple of points.

The defense of the McMicheals claimed the shooting was in the process of a citizen arrest. Georgia law only allows the citizen arrest to happen within 24 hours of the crime being witnessed. The McMicheals admitted they never saw Arbery commit a crime.

If the jury concludes that the McMicheals detaining Arbry was illegal than they would have to find them guilty of felony murder at a minimum.
                      That’s bullshit, and I’m not saying you’re wrong. Im saying that these guys shouldn’t get convicted of felony murder because they attempted to detain him.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

They killed a person while committing a crime. That is the definition of Felony Murder.

As for Bryan, he took part in the illegal detainment of Arbery. That in turn could link him to the murder.

The time frame for a citizen arrest makes perfect sense. How do they know the police hasn't already arrested him and he is out on bail? How do they know he was arrested, pled guilty and was sentenced to community service? That is why it has to be witnessed and immediate. They stated they were trying to arrest him for something they heard someone like him did days ago.
                        Last edited by jdmee; November 23, 2021, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Yeah, if you didn't witness a crime, you have ZERO rights to a citizen arrest. I mean NONE. And trespassing ain't it. No jury will (rightfully) go along with that.

Comment

That’s bullshit, and I’m not saying you’re wrong. Im saying that these guys shouldn’t get convicted of felony murder because they attempted to detain him.
                            Originally posted by jdmee View Post
                            They killed a person while committing a crime. That is the definition of Felony Murder.

As for Bryan, he took part in the illegal detainment of Arbery. That in turn could link him to the murder.

The time frame for a citizen arrest makes perfect sense. How do they know the police hasn't already arrested him and he is out on bail? How do they know he was arrested, pled guilty and was sentenced to community service? That is why it has to be witnessed and immediate. They stated they were trying to arrest him for something they heard someone like him did days ago.
                            What am I missing? I will agree that they were following, watching, waiting to see what or where he was going.

At just what point did they actually detain him? Follow him? Yes. Watch him? Yes. Stop him, no.

1) What the video shows is that they were stopped at an intersection within a neighborhood, watching him approach their truck as he was running down the middle of the road.

2) The father is still in the bed of the truck as the son is getting out of the driver's side of the truck.

3) Father is still in the bed of the truck while the son is getting out of the truck (center of the road) which is on Arbery's left. Next, the son stands on the road within the opened door as Arbery approaches.

4) Arbrey leaves the center of the road and goes to the right (passenger side) as he approaches the truck. Father stays in the truck. Son starts to walk around the opened door.

5) As Arbrey starts to go around the passenger side of the truck (still running), the son is now at the driver's side, front of the truck (walking, not running).

6) Arbrey makes a hard left at the front of the truck (father still in the bed of the truck) and you see the son back-peddling to the center of the road while you see that Arbrey has a hold of the barrel of the gun with both hands.

7) The son continues to back-peddle while holding on to the gun as well is Arbrey. They stop and each continue to struggle for control of the gun. Father is still in the bed of truck but is moving around.

8) The gun goes off during the struggle, shooting Arbery.

9) The guy taking the video, continues doing that. At no point is he involved with "detaining" of Arbrey.

There is no way one can prove that the 3 neighbors would have done anything other than probably follow where Arbrey was going had Arbrey turned right and gone away from the truck.

What am I missing?

Comment

You are missing the fact that the defense admitted to the fact they were trying to conduct a citizen arrest and detain him. That Bryan bumped into him in with his truck, running him off the road, in the events leading up to the killing. There are others facts also.

The last couple of days I have been watching Nate the lawyer's YouTube channel. He and the panel of lawyers who were on with him are saying guilty. They are basically saying the jury has to disregard the law to say not guilty. These are conservative lawyers who were on Rittenhouse's side throughout that trial.

Comment

Working...
                              X