No announcement yet.

East Coast Oil Pipeline Shut Down - Cyber Attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cyber attacks on critical infrastructure can be indirect (as in this case, the offices of Colonial Pipeline) or direct (Stuxnet). Colonial shut down their system as a mitigation and response protocol, not the hackers. The dual sword that are cyber attacks can be criminally motivated with terrorism impact. Ransomware is usually installed on a network through an end user's idiocy of opening up a phishing email and/or entering user credentials to a spoofed website. Can't wait to find out the specifics of that.

Darkside is a for profit operation that actually has a code of ethics on who not to attack, in other words, they attack for profit entities to make a profit themselves. They have their roots in Eastern Europe, and I am not sure they really are tied to Russia, in that their signatures are a bit different than the usual state sponsored or affiliated groups. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few good old American mercenaries mixed in with the group. There are some strange bedfellows in the cyber crime realm.

Comment

Hire James Bond on the quiet, have him find the hackers and kill them publically.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
        Cyber attacks on critical infrastructure can be indirect (as in this case, the offices of Colonial Pipeline) or direct (Stuxnet). Colonial shut down their system as a mitigation and response protocol, not the hackers. The dual sword that are cyber attacks can be criminally motivated with terrorism impact. Ransomware is usually installed on a network through an end user's idiocy of opening up a phishing email and/or entering user credentials to a spoofed website. Can't wait to find out the specifics of that.

Darkside is a for profit operation that actually has a code of ethics on who not to attack, in other words, they attack for profit entities to make a profit themselves. They have their roots in Eastern Europe, and I am not sure they really are tied to Russia, in that their signatures are a bit different than the usual state sponsored or affiliated groups. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a few good old American mercenaries mixed in with the group. There are some strange bedfellows in the cyber crime realm.
        Boy I’m sure glad the regular middle class consumer doesn’t see any of the ransom cost the that go only to for profit cyber attackers. I feel better already. Only profiteers get taken. What a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Boy I’m sure glad the regular middle class consumer doesn’t see any of the ransom cost the that go only to for profit cyber attackers. I feel better already. Only profiteers get taken. What a joke.
          Exactly….and they claim to be benevolent.

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            Hire James Bond on the quiet, have him find the hackers and kill them publically.
            James Bond in this world lives on Monster Energy drinks, can’t do ten pushups, have VPN accounts as their disguises instead of sunglasses and the only Bond Girls they hang out with are those they create virtually.
            Last edited by shoxlax; May 14, 2021, 10:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

James Bond in this world lives on Monster Energy drinks, can’t do ten pushups, have VPN accounts as their disguises instead of sunglasses and the only Bond Girls they hang out with are those they create virtually.
              Unless their mom counts.
              People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                Unless their mom counts.
                Post pics, we'll help decide.
                Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Worlds largest beef processor shut down by cyber-hack.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

U.S. seizes $2.3 mln in Bitcoin paid to Colonial Pipeline hackers | Reuters

Comment

Working...
                    X