Evergy Announces Emergency Rolling Blackouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NCAABound View Post

Man I wish you'd post a lot less...even about basketball. Is your last name Todd?
    Wish in one hand, **** in the other.

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

lol, another liberal triggered.
      Root Angry got banned for two posts about Rush, one of which was a Mark Twain quote. And I’m the one who was triggered? Nah.

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

I must admit that if you were dumped it was the right thing to do, because you're worse than a turd you condescending POS. You should have PM'd me (AGAIN) you dummy. But your mania kind of explains it now.

Cold has accused me of living in a van, or some such thing (though, of course, we know he's joking), but in reality, that's you.

Now go get that W for all of us right-thinking Shocker fans tomorrow night!!!
        I’m not exactly sure what you’re saying here but I think it’s positive and I like your energy. Go shockers!

Comment

Originally posted by Shocktoberfest View Post

Celebrating the death of anybody should get you banned. Do you disagree?
          I’ve seen worse on this forum so yes, I disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Eh? I’m not a democrat and I didn’t call anyone a racist, fascist, etc, or an etc.

I called Rish Limbaugh a fat piece of **** which he was in my opinion. At least that was his radio personality. I didn’t know the man and I hope for the sake of his family and friends that he was nothing like the opportunistic, irresponsible, lying, windbag he presented on his show.

And I wasn’t even going to say a word about him because I take no pleasure in his death. I really don’t. I remember my uncle, who died of cancer, telling me, “this is a **** way to go out.” I took that to heart. His family deserves our sympathy.

But then I saw that Root_Angry got banned for two posts, one of which was a Mark Twain quote, on the politics forum where, let’s be honest, a lot of **** is allowed to slide that wouldn’t be in the basketball forum.

Then I see like four different people taking shits on Chuck Todd, who I could care less about. I mean, I can’t remember the last time I thought about Chuck Todd before today. Longer than the last time I thought about Rush Limbaugh and that’s been years. For a bunch of right wingers you guys seem super in touch with what Chuck Todd is up to.

And all this Chuck Todd nonsense is happening on the WSU men’s basketball forum. WTF. Guy gets booted for two comments on the Wild West political forum but it’s open Chuck Todd season on men’s basketball. That’s bullshit.

So, of course I took a shot at Rush because that’s what I do when I see unchecked bullshit going on. You guys should know this by now.

RIP Rush. I won’t miss you but I know you were very popular and beloved by many and I’m glad you will suffer no more.
            You’re not a democrat?
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

What have you seen that is worse than celebrating another person’s death?
              Last edited by ShockerFever; February 18, 2021, 06:41 AM.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

This further proves my point that trying to blame so called “clean energy” for this blackout is wrong and obviously politically motivated. It supplies such a small portion of the total energy it’s like blaming Josephat Bilau for a loss because he only got one rebound instead of two.

BTW, when are you going to change your name to PolitiFan? You rarely, if ever, post anything on the basketball forum. I’m dropping like 8 posts a day over there and I don’t hear a peep. One of my random outbursts gets moved to the political forum and you’re on it like a fly on ****.
                I read the basketball forum, but have been much less involved over there since Covid. Games get cancelled, coaches get fired, there’s no real recruiting to speak of. Lost my rhythm. I follow basketball to get away from THIS, but basketball isn’t getting me away from this except during the game.
                Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

Roughly 75% of the normal energy is gas/coal/nuclear normally. 25% is wind. 1/2 of wind is off line, but only 1/3 of FF/nuclear. That means that not only is it cheaper, but more reliable.

So, yes your stats are correct, which I’m sure you looked up, but they tell the opposite story of the truth. Don’t worry though, no one will die because of your ignorance.
                  Good analysis, makes one wonder if we still were generating power at 99% gas/coal/nuclear would we have had enough overall capacity to get through this cold snap and avoid this catastrophe.

I also wonder if we have replaced old fossil fuel generation at a kw for kw with renewables so far in our green push?

Comment

Originally posted by shocktown View Post

Good analysis, makes one wonder if we still were generating power at 99% gas/coal/nuclear would we have had enough overall capacity to get through this cold snap and avoid this catastrophe.

I also wonder if we have replaced old fossil fuel generation at a kw for kw with renewables so far in our green push?
                    pie n eye is not wrong in that this was a multi-level failure caused by a once in a century cold snap. Some facilities were down for maintenance before the summer surge, the natural gas pipes in TX are not insulated and froze. The windmills froze.

What we do know is that windmills are not the solution to this specific problem.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Don’t mean to derail the topic, but here’s something from Dan Crenshaw about the power issues:

Here’s the truth about what happened.

Summary:

A mix of over-subsidized wind energy and under-investment in gas power means we didn’t have enough base load energy for a massive spike in demand.

Also, Texas infrastructure isn’t designed for once-in-a-century freezes.

#1 - Frozen Wind Turbines:

West Texas had wind turbines that had to be de-iced. The little energy that power regulators planned on being supplied from wind was now gone.

We have almost 31GW of wind installed on the grid, but on Monday we couldn’t even depend on 6 GW working.

To make matters worse, existing storage of wind energy in batteries was also gone, because batteries were losing 60% of their energy in the cold.

Bottom line: renewables don’t work well in extreme weather. Never will.

This is what happens when you force the grid to rely in part on wind as a power source. When weather conditions get bad as they did this week, intermittent renewable energy like wind isn’t there when you need it. https://www.forbes.com/sites/salgilb...the-spotlight/

#2 - Nuclear also got too cold: We only have 4 nuclear units in TX, near Houston and Dallas. One of the reactors near Houston turned off due to a safety sensor freezing. No problem with the reactor. But the lack of the sensor forced the plant to shutdown, as a precaution.

(On another note, this shows how safe nuclear is. Lots of safety precautions.)

#3 - We don’t have enough Natural Gas online:

ERCOT planned on 67GW from natural gas/coal, but could only get 43GW of it online. We didn’t run out of natural gas, but we lost the ability to get it transported. Pipelines in Texas don’t use cold insulation – so they froze.

Every natural gas plant stayed online. The “downed” plants were due to scheduled maintenance.

Gov. Abbott made the right call in diverting all natural gas to home heating fuel and then electricity for homes. Gas and coal brought a stable supply of energy, but still not enough.

Why don’t we have extra gas power when we need it most?

Because years of federal subsidies for wind has caused an over reliance on wind and an under-investment in new gas and nuclear plants.

Bottom line: fossil fuels are the only thing that saved us. They are *base load* energy.

If we were even *more* reliant on the wind turbines that froze, the outages would have been much worse.

This raises the obvious question: can we ever rely on renewables to power the grid during extreme weather?

No, you need gas or nuclear.

And subsidizing investment in wind has pushed gas and nuclear out.

Now we live with the consequences.

The push to decommission baseload power sources like natural gas would be disastrous when trying to keep the lights on in Texas.

I’ll be joining my Texas colleagues in getting to the bottom of what happened. We can do better, even for once in a century events.

In the meantime, stay warm, stay safe, and stay strong.

Comment

I’m getting tired of the excuses “once in a lifetime” events. Katrina was once in a lifetime, Harvey was once in a lifetime, now this. We have to recognize that weather patterns are shifting and need better investment/maintenance in our critical infrastructure and have better planning for these once in a lifetime scenarios.

Comment

On an ocean crossing, if the wings of your aircraft were efficient massive solar panels then theoretically you could fly with, say, 10% less fuel than otherwise required to get across the ocean. So on a normal day -- ignoring the lifetime cost of the panels -- you can get across the ocean with less cost. But what happens if the solar panels fail? You'd be asking for something from the fuel system that is simply no longer there.
                          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                            I’m getting tired of the excuses “once in a lifetime” events. Katrina was once in a lifetime, Harvey was once in a lifetime, now this. We have to recognize that weather patterns are shifting and need better investment/maintenance in our critical infrastructure and have better planning for these once in a lifetime scenarios.
                            It's the South. If you've spent much time down there you know you don't try and understand it.

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker_Power View Post

It's the South. If you've spent much time down there you know you don't try and understand it.
                              yes, but everyone I’ve spoken to down here all agree that this was worse than any hurricane event we’ve been through in that it affected so many people. There will be massive lawsuits coming from this with all the insurance claims forthcoming.

Comment

My apologies for posting my comments on this in the basketball forum. I saw the comments on the weather related disaster and reacted without seeing where I was, my bad, my responsibility.

Comment

Working...
                                X