The Great Awokening and the Second American Revolution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

What are you talking about? I did not say that we should ignore crime. I did not say that we should remove police from the streets. I never pretended that only white to black violence occurs. I never said any of that.

I just can’t figure out why “but, black on black crime” is such a popular response to the public’s outrage over something, like a man being killed while handcuffed face first on the ground, that seems universally outrageous.
    Because black folks are killing each other at a literal exponential rate as compared to cops killing them, or other races killing them. Perhaps there should be some focus on that, not instead of, but in addition to unjust killings by the latter two groups. If black lives matter, then they need to matter to themselves first and foremost.

Comment

What are you talking about? I did not say that we should ignore crime. I did not say that we should remove police from the streets. I never pretended that only white to black violence occurs. I never said any of that.

I just can’t figure out why “but, black on black crime” is such a popular response to the public’s outrage over something, like a man being killed while handcuffed face first on the ground, that seems universally outrageous.
      We all agree that what happened to George Floyd was horrific. There are other horrific things that happen which impact far more people. The police stepping away from the violence in the street for fear of being prosecuted has lead to more violence, not less. The left is trying to defund the police across America. That is a bad idea and it is showing. The left wing media and BLM are not protesting or speaking up when they kill other black people. That is a huge problem.

I don’t care what race commits a crime, but the media does. Your not understanding that is a problem.
      Livin the dream

Comment

I’m not insinuating anything, I’m asking for clarification because I don’t understand what point you’re trying to make by bringing up black on black crime.
        The insinuation is that lives lost by police fire are more important than lives lost by non-police fire or really by any other way. And the former happens WAY less than the latter, like EXTREMELY less.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

The insinuation is that lives lost by police fire are more important than lives lost by non-police fire or really by any other way. And the former happens WAY less than the latter, like EXTREMELY less.
          Three black girls under the age of 10 have been killed in Chicago in the last three weeks. Three unarmed black people have been killed by cops in all of the United States this year. Five police are being prosecuted for murder in those three cases. One case is still under investigation.

Edited to clarity that I was referring to “unarmed” black people. Not Black people in general. That is an important distinction.
          Last edited by wufan; July 6, 2020, 05:48 PM.
          Livin the dream

Comment

George Floyd was a career criminal did not deserve to be murdered, nor did he deserve to be idealized.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

We all agree that what happened to George Floyd was horrific. There are other horrific things that happen which impact far more people. The police stepping away from the violence in the street for fear of being prosecuted has lead to more violence, not less. The left is trying to defund the police across America. That is a bad idea and it is showing. The left wing media and BLM are not protesting or speaking up when they kill other black people. That is a huge problem.

I don’t care what race commits a crime, but the media does. Your not understanding that is a problem.
              In my opinion, the problem is when we just starting painting everything with a broad brush. “The left” is doing this, “the media” is doing that. How is that any different than BLM saying that all police are racist? None of it is universally true and only serves to divide and destroy any chance of a nuanced conversation.

The vast majority of police are good people. The vast majority of people who support BLM are good people. Bad actors on both sides shouldn’t distract us from the fact that we are all in this together and most people are trying to do the right thing.

Comment

I think what my issue is, is that we need not dismantle a system that works because we have some rare instances that are bad. Cops killing unarmed citizens is bad and should be addressed and investigated regardless of the circumstances. To take these circumstances and paint the system as some sort of racist institution is ridiculous and should be called out as such. And there is a political philosophy that is taking these rare instances to further divide this country for political gain and if they succeed will do nothing but hurt those that it is ironically claiming to be for. If they are truly in the business of saving black lives, they may want to look at where they can get the most bang for the buck (so to speak) and start with where the most black lives are being lost. (Hint: They aint getting lost from cops).
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

I’m sorry but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to hold police to a higher standard than random criminals on the street.

Comment

Speaking of woke. I have concluded that all references to Native Americans should be cancelled. These tribes were nothing but patriarchal slave owners. Were there any women chiefs? Why were they allowed to hold women and conquered tribes as slaves? They were conquered as well, why should we not cancel the warrier chiefs of these tribes like we do the confederate generals? Just wondering.

As with that, when will the Chiefs be changing their name and stop doing the tomahawk chop? Very patriarchal since there were no women chiefs and also racist to think that tomahawks are basically firearms without the gunpowder. They are weapons and should not be glorified.
                    "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Have a friend who is a police officer. He literally told me that they are no longer allowed to pull anyone over or make confrontations. They are only allowed to respond to calls that come in through dispatch. How is that safe?

Comment

In my opinion, the problem is when we just starting painting everything with a broad brush. “The left” is doing this, “the media” is doing that. How is that any different than BLM saying that all police are racist? None of it is universally true and only serves to divide and destroy any chance of a nuanced conversation.

The vast majority of police are good people. The vast majority of people who support BLM are good people. Bad actors on both sides shouldn’t distract us from the fact that we are all in this together and most people are trying to do the right thing.
                        How would you describe those that hold those views? I specifically used the term left Wing media so as not to use the term democrat or progressive or media. I don’t know how to better distinguish, and I don’t believe that specific statement needed that level of nuance.

Also you’re pivoting to an irrelevant point. The point is that we need to help people and a good way to do that would to not watch as mobs of people break the law. Not everyone in the mob, mind you, but some of them.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

I’m sorry but I don’t think it’s unreasonable to hold police to a higher standard than random criminals on the street.
                          That’s not at all unreasonable. The police have been arrested. Police reform bills have been written.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                            Speaking of woke. I have concluded that all references to Native Americans should be cancelled. These tribes were nothing but patriarchal slave owners. Were there any women chiefs? Why were they allowed to hold women and conquered tribes as slaves? They were conquered as well, why should we not cancel the warrier chiefs of these tribes like we do the confederate generals? Just wondering.

As with that, when will the Chiefs be changing their name and stop doing the tomahawk chop? Very patriarchal since there were no women chiefs and also racist to think that tomahawks are basically firearms without the gunpowder. They are weapons and should not be glorified.
                            So your argument for maintaining monuments to the confederacy, an institution whose main reason for existing was preserving and expanding slavery, is “the native Americans did it too”?

Comment

So your argument for maintaining monuments to the confederacy, an institution whose main reason for existing was preserving and expanding slavery, is “the native Americans did it too”?
                              So you agree that President Grant statues should be torn down?
                              Livin the dream

Comment

If confederate generals, then native Americans because they were both pro-slavery. That was the argument. You are being deliberately obtuse because what is happening is wrong and you are justifying it.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X