What are your political stripes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

The school system, public/private/both, for me is a key to a better future. Way too many kids getting "passed" through the system, some lack family support, some just drop out. That all needs to get corrected. In today's world, I believe a minimum of a full 12 years. I wouldn't even mind federal support for 2 years of Tech or 2 years of core studies. No free ride beyond that unless you go into the military after high school.

The problem in all this is how to enforce "mandatory" schooling.
    I agree that education is key to success, but I don’t know that it is a public/private federal/local issue. There are lots of issues, many of which you detailed. Here’s a few thoughts off the top of my head. They are not fully formed ideas:

Teachers Union has too much power
    Too much administration
    Two working parents
    Single parents
    Not enough STEM and English
    Votech options after the age of 14 or 16
    Low return on investment
    Standards are low or arbitrary
    Being in advanced or special education programs is political and has too many legal protections
    Text book costs are stupid high
    Livin the dream

Comment

I think the federal government's primary goal should be national defense, ensuring states do not pass laws limiting freedoms that are guaranteed by the constitution and settling disputes between the states. The rest, I'm theoretically against. I understand things are what they are and can't be changed, but the states should be the primary law.

Pro 2nd amendment.
      Abortion: Personally against, but not in favor of laws. Women should be able to choose.
      I believe that people should be free to a fault and that includes failing and not getting bailed out. Corporations should never get bailed out, especially by the federal government. If any gov't wants to ease pain, $$ to affected workers is prefferable than covering up poor business decisions.
      Not in favor of taxes. Government money corrupts everything. And there should be a balanced budget at every gov't level and if there isn't enough money then gov't workers should get laid off just like private businesses. Public sector unions should be outlawed.
      Pure democracy is anarchy.
      Politicians should never be 1%ers.
      99% of politicians are snakes.
      I'm for environmentalism, ie clean air, water, no pollution, pick up your trash, but think that the private sector will innovate toward cleaner energy faster than government regs. Taxing fossil fuels and all that crap is useless and will only hurt the poor. Cheap energy should always be a goal in lifting poverty. We don't have an environmental crisis. Calm down, but of course, we should work for cleaner energy. We'll get there.
      Be wary those who look to government to fix problems and always follow the money.
      Equality of opportunity is the best we can do. Bad things happen in life, the greatest outcome for the most people doesn't mean unicorns and rainbows for all.
      "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

2nd Amendment: For, but this gun worship thing is new and weird and toxic
        Abortion: Barely for
        National healthcare: for public option
        Abolishing electorate system: strong against, lets return senate selection back to state legislature.
        For: legalize weed, decriminalize possession of damn near anything.
        For: demilitarizing police
        for: taxing carbon and cap and trade
        For: everybody having the right to dignity regardless of orientation and gender identity, but recognize that sports cross a line. Bathrooms don't.
        For: enforcement of our intellectual property laws forcefully across the globe. If a company willfully cedes them in another country they become null and void here
        against: cancel culture
        For: the natural boob and bush as intended by our creator.
        Last edited by BOBB; June 27, 2020, 08:49 AM.
        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by BOBB View Post
          2nd Amendment: For, but this gun worship thing is new and weird and toxic
          Abortion: Barely for
          National healthcare: for public option
          Abolishing electorate system: strong against, lets return senate selection back to state legislature.
          For: legalize weed, decriminalize possession of damn near anything.
          For: demilitarizing police
          for: taxing carbon and cap and trade
          For: everybody having the right to dignity regardless of orientation and gender identity, but recognize that sports cross a line. Bathrooms don't.
          For: enforcement of our intellectual property laws forcefully across the globe. If a company willfully cedes them in another country they become null and void here
          against: cancel culture
          For: the natural boob and bush as intended by our creator.
          I have variations on strength of support for ALMOST everything you said. Can’t get behind cap and trade.
          Livin the dream

Comment

Are you saying you are for using a public restroom based on what a person identifies themselves as at the time?

Comment

Originally posted by wichshock65 View Post

Are you saying you are for using a public restroom based on what a person identifies themselves as at the time?
              I will say this: bathrooms are far more complex than identity. I know two trans men with vaginas. You would flip the eff out if they walked into a women’s restroom.
              Livin the dream

Comment

IDGAF what bathroom somebody uses. The idea that a trans person is going to rape my daughter in a Wal-Mart bathroom is downright laughable. She'll more likely be raped by an uncle, coach, teacher, or a boyfriend.

Comment

You're an effing idiot. I'm not worried about the trans either. It's the perv that can legally decide he'll identify as a woman for the day and get into the stall next to my daughter that bothers me.

Comment

IDGAF what bathroom somebody uses. The idea that a trans person is going to rape my daughter in a Wal-Mart bathroom is downright laughable. She'll more likely be raped by an uncle, coach, teacher, or a boyfriend.
                    It’s good you are protective of your daughter. Even 14 year old or older females better have someone accompany them to a public restroom.

Comment

You're an effing idiot. I'm not worried about the trans either. It's the perv that can legally decide he'll identify as a woman for the day and get into the stall next to my daughter that bothers me.
                      If some dude/lady follows your daughter into the bathroom and exposes himself/herself or peeps in to her stall that is a crime, regardless. If they drop a deuce? Not so much.

You're the idiot if that's where your threat matrix is ticking with regard to your daughter's safety. That's somewhere between quicksand and yeti attack on mine. I'd rather focus my energy on **** that's more likely to happen.

If you've been to the Valley tournament you'd note that the bathrooms upstairs at Ballpark Village are unisex and yet society hasn't devolved into A Clockwork Orange.

Comment

If some dude/lady follows your daughter into the bathroom and exposes himself/herself or peeps in to her stall that is a crime, regardless. If they drop a deuce? Not so much.

You're the idiot if that's where your threat matrix is ticking with regard to your daughter's safety. That's somewhere between quicksand and yeti attack on mine. I'd rather focus my energy on **** that's more likely to happen.

If you've been to the Valley tournament you'd note that the bathrooms upstairs at Ballpark Village are unisex and yet society hasn't devolved into A Clockwork Orange.
                        I’d still have someone accompany a young girl. My wife would kill the pervert but young girls aren’t very assertive. I’m a borderline perv and who knows about WstateU and I’ve never had more than a traffic ticket. You wouldn’t want me in that Ballpark Village RR with your daughter.

Comment

Restroom debates have merit. There is a lot of nuance here, and the correct thing isn’t obviously apparent.

A 200 lb chick in cargo shorts sporting a beard and high and tight haircut. Which bathroom?

Dude with flowing blonde locks in a size 7 red dress. Which bathroom?

Livin the dream

Comment

2nd amendment - strongly for
                            abortion - only a sick person would kill their own off spring
                            nat'l healthcare - make as private as possible
                            education - do away with fed dept of ed and filter money to states / counties
                            equal opportunity - of course, but not outcomes
                            police - more money and fewer restrictions on them. severely punish rioters
                            keep politics OUT of sports........period
                            virus - only stat I watch is number of deaths not total cases

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
                              Restroom debates have merit. There is a lot of nuance here, and the correct thing isn’t obviously apparent.

A 200 lb chick in cargo shorts sporting a beard and high and tight haircut. Which bathroom?

Dude with flowing blonde locks in a size 7 red dress. Which bathroom?
                              Probably a little sexist, but I don't think guys have a problem if a woman wants to use the men's room. It's the men going into the women's restroom that seems a bit off. And I don't really even think public restrooms are much cause for concern. A bigger concern would be areas where minor girls would be changing in common areas without individual privacy. I don't like how normally, the only person's feelings considered is the transgenders and not that of the girls' who may feel uncomfortable with a person of the opposite sex changing with them.
                              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

2nd Amendment: For
                                Abortion: against
                                National healthcare: against
                                Abolishing electorate system: against
                                Taxation: flat

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Working...
                                X