WSU cancels Ivanka Trump graduation speech

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Doesn't show much self-awareness does it? It does appear like they don't exactly know what to say. Could be they are worried about being cancelled by the intolerant lefty students and faculty if they criticize their actions in even the slightest degree. Of course, its possible the WSU Administration are totally on board with the viewpoints and of those that were behind this action.
    So having Ivanka speak would have gotten rid of some of the far-Leftest's on campus??

That would have been a nice little side bonus of having her speak on campus!
    The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post

So having Ivanka speak would have gotten rid of some of the far-Leftest's on campus??

That would have been a nice little side bonus of having her speak on campus!
      I don't even mind that there are all kinds of viewpoints on campus. Let them all coexist and what not. But I still can't wrap my mind around living in a time when the President's daughter is so unpopular that its not one of the highlights of the year for a university. I get that people don't like the President for obvious political reasons because half the country voted against him. But my goodness. What has the world come to?

I'm speaking as someone who absolutely would be fine with Chelsea Clinton doing the same thing circa 1990s or one of the Obama daughters, etc. This should have been a cool thing for any university. It is a time when someone who opposes the President politically should have been patient and quiet. This was an inappropriate thing to do, and I'm speaking more to the students than to the President. To him, I would say sorry this is what your dream job ended up being right now. Wish you would have found another way to deal with this. I'm not in the camp of "fire him" either. This is a terrible situation and its happening in one way or another all over our country to everyone in leadership. I don't envy anyone who has to try to balance running a real organization and appeasing the out of control internet mob at the same time.

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
        Sorry for the naive question here...but why did the students vote no to not have the guest speaker speak for the graduation ceremony?
        Students didn't vote at all. An associate professor (at WSU proper) started a petition that garnered less than 500 signatures of faculty students and alumni protesting Ivanka Trump delivering a virtual address to WSU Tech graduates, and President Golden stepped in and rescinded the invitation made by the WSU Tech president,

Comment

• Just seems dumb for a president of the major university in this city to get on the bad side of:

- Conservatives
          - Senator Moran
          - SOS Pompeo
          - The President
          - Fans/Supporters
          - Big $$$ Donors

All in one decision.

Granted, I don’t know how those politicians feel about what happened, but they can’t be thrilled (just like many on this fine forum).
          The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Students didn't vote at all. An associate professor (at WSU proper) started a petition that garnered less than 500 signatures of faculty students and alumni protesting Ivanka Trump delivering a virtual address to WSU Tech graduates, and President Golden stepped in and rescinded the invitation made by the WSU Tech president,
            Well that's just dumb. Seems that would've been pretty cool for the students. I mean...a United States Presidents daughter speaking at your graduation ceremony? C'mon...that'd be awesome!!!

...and thanks Royal for the explanation.
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• I've had to endure listening to a bunch of crap I don't agree with. It's called being a freaking adult. You can either listen to it and think to yourself that 'this guy's full of crap and here's why' to yourself. Or you can listen and maybe try and take in the different viewpoint and add it to your intellectual repertoire.

Throwing a fit and closing your mind admits that you are weak and/or you know you don't have the best argument or viewpoint. And it won't stand up to an opposing point of view if allowed to be brought to light.
              "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Well that's just dumb. Seems that would've been pretty cool for the students. I mean...a United States Presidents daughter speaking at your graduation ceremony? C'mon...that'd be awesome!!!

What makes this an even worse decision is that Ivanka already visited the WSU Tech campus in person in 2019 and the students loved having her there. The WSU Tech students commonly wear trump shirts and hats on their campus which is likely different than what you would see on the WSU campus. In other words, WSU Tech students likely wanted her to speak at their ceremony but WSU students/administrators didn't want her so the WSU President rescinded an invitation made by the WSU Tech President.

Comment

I’m sure you would say the same thing if it were Chelsea Clinton instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I’m sure you would say the same thing if it were Chelsea Clinton instead.
                    I will speak for myself in saying that I wouldn't have advocated canceling Chelsea Clinton from speaking. I most likely wouldn't have cheered it, but I wouldn't have been for banning it.

Comment

• The “I’m removing all financial support from WSU athletics” reaction to this is funny. What’s the phrase, cutting off your nose to spite your face?

Agree or disagree, like them or not, the faculty/students/alumni who signed the petition were exercising their god given rights as American citizens. And by doing so they were able to change something they disagreed with.

As far as I know, none of them took it so far as to threaten to pull financial support from the university.

Seems like a lot of people are now pouting because “their side” lost. People who are used to almost always getting their way in a state like KS.

Go ahead and pull your support from WSU athletics in an uncertain financial time over this trivial issue with Ivanka Trump. It’s certainly your right. I doubt it will have any affect on Jay Golden’s job but it might negatively affect athletics at WSU, of that you can be proud!

Comment

The “I’m removing all financial support from WSU athletics” reaction to this is funny. What’s the phrase, cutting off your nose to spite your face?

Agree or disagree, like them or not, the faculty/students/alumni who signed the petition were exercising their god given rights as American citizens. And by doing so they were able to change something they disagreed with.

As far as I know, none of them took it so far as to threaten to pull financial support from the university.

Seems like a lot of people are now pouting because “their side” lost. People who are used to almost always getting their way in a state like KS.

Go ahead and pull your support from WSU athletics in an uncertain financial time over this trivial issue with Ivanka Trump. It’s certainly your right. I doubt it will have any affect on Jay Golden’s job but it might negatively affect athletics at WSU, of that you can be proud!
                        this is not a trivial issue

Comment

The “I’m removing all financial support from WSU athletics” reaction to this is funny. What’s the phrase, cutting off your nose to spite your face?

The faculty/students/alumni of who....Wichita Tech? Some people stuck their noses in where it didn't belong and while their God given rights were exercised, those of the people of Tech's were trampled.

I don't think it was the threat of them pulling financial support that Golden was concerned about and you know what I mean.

Pouting? "Their side" lost? Friend, no one really won. I know this may be hard for some to grasp, but we all lost.

Comment

You, other liberals, students, and faculty members may not hear about it, but you can guarantee that this decision is being felt. The question is whether Golden can mend fences enough with the business community, libertarian,and conservative base/donors who were offended by his actions and think that to cancel a person's speech who isn't agreed with, is antithetical to a University experience. Young people should be exposed to many voices who they agree with and who they don't is the viewpoint that is being pursued here. I think that it is less likely that athletics are harmed than the engineering economic tax based engine that WSU has been envisioned by many to become in South Central Kansas, and even liberal business/city/community members won't think that is a good idea.
                            Last edited by Shockm; June 19, 2020, 11:52 AM.

Comment

• WSU Grad: College shouldn't have cancelled Ivanka Trump Speech

Ask anyone who knows me. They will tell you I love Wichita State University. I am a proud 1996 graduate of the W. Frank Barton School of Business. My family and I have been basketball season ticket holders for almost 20 years. Some of our favorite memories are of attending Shocker basketball games.

So I was disappointed to learn that Wichita State canceled Ivanka Trump’s planned keynote graduation address because some students disagree with her views. I am a First Amendment attorney and the director of Alliance Defending Freedom’s Center for Academic Freedom. We defend the First Amendment rights of students and faculty at public universities so that everyone can freely participate in the marketplace of ideas.

Comment

• Royal
                                Did you notice the 2 comments following his editorial? The second comment (from anonymous) was not tolerant at all while calling out Langhofer for being an intolerant racist. IRONY and cowardice

Comment

Working...
                                X