Coronavirus 2019-nCov: Political Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
    Ladies and gentlemen I give you your next president, if you believe aargh. Lol!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

As Kung would say, you were doing great until you made it about ____ (in this case, Biden). If it works one way, it certainly ought to work the other.
      You libs don’t believe that it should work both ways. It’s your way or no way.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
        Thats 120 million democrat votes in November!
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

You libs don’t believe that it should work both ways. It’s your way or no way.
          Nope, just being mindful and learning from my mistakes. We should all strive to keep non-political threads non-political. And I'm not really a lib, I'm probably a little left-of-center, but I am also one of those independent voters who don't vote straight party lines.

BTW, Willie does not live in Lukenbach, he actually lives in Spicewood, just across the river from Hippie Hollow (but that got closed today, I'm betting). You could probably see it from the Oasis, that's a great place to go and drink Margaritas and watch the sun set, after this crap is over with (restaurants also got rolled back today and ALL bars are now closed in Texas).

Folks:

If you feel the need to drink and socialize, make sure you have plenty of liquor at home, and for God's sake CALL SOMEBODY!
          Last edited by revenge_of_shocka_khan; June 26, 2020, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• Here is another subjective story. It should not be utilized to form a pro/anti opinion, but I find it to be a worthwhile and informative narrative.

I have ~ 60 scientists that work in my labs. Their degrees are in Analytical Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Zoology, Botany, statistics, and Chemical Engineering. They have BS, MS, or PhD degrees. They (we) are required to wear cloth or surgical face masks at all times while on the premises of the company. There has been much debate about the efficacy of face masks, and here are some of the thoughts:

The masks provided do not provide adequate protection against CoV19 due to the dive of the virus.

The masks do retain large droplets expelled when talking

The masks are not properly fit to the individual to provide protection

The masks decrease the recognition of appropriate social distancing

People are constantly touching their faces to adjust the mask.

This diverse group of scientists, while not experts in epidemiology, do have varying degrees of expertise in virology. We have not come to a consensus.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

You were doing great until you made it about Trump.
              It was Trump, not me, that made it all about Trump. Trump and his WH staff are the ones refusing to tell people to wear masks to reduce the spread of the virus. The scientists and the medical community are begging us to wear masks to slow the progression of the infection.

When Fauci, Birx, and the CDC are saying the most important thing is to avoid large indoor groups without masks and Trump goes to a campaign rally in Tulsa (a CV hot spot) and has an indoor rally with no requirement for masks, he (not me) has made it all about him. I doubt that the 8 campaign staffers and the 2 Secret Service agents, who are now positive and their contacts who are in quarantine, are blaming me.

Right now, Trump is his own worst enemy. If he continues on the path he's on, his approval rating could hit mid-30's by November. His supporters need to attempt to tell him to pursue some agendas other than ignoring CV and eliminating health care for 20 million people.

His apparent stance of non-involvement in racial issues that have moved into the forefront of our political agenda will ensure that minorities will vote in record numbers in November.
              The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
              We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                Here is another subjective story. It should not be utilized to form a pro/anti opinion, but I find it to be a worthwhile and informative narrative.

I have ~ 60 scientists that work in my labs. Their degrees are in Analytical Chemistry, Physical Chemistry, Biochemistry, Zoology, Botany, statistics, and Chemical Engineering. They have BS, MS, or PhD degrees. They (we) are required to wear cloth or surgical face masks at all times while on the premises of the company. There has been much debate about the efficacy of face masks, and here are some of the thoughts:

The masks provided do not provide adequate protection against CoV19 due to the dive of the virus.

The masks do retain large droplets expelled when talking

The masks are not properly fit to the individual to provide protection

The masks decrease the recognition of appropriate social distancing

People are constantly touching their faces to adjust the mask.

This diverse group of scientists, while not experts in epidemiology, do have varying degrees of expertise in virology. We have not come to a consensus.
                What is the current consensus of rate of death from this virus? Going up? Down? Is that pertinent to the conversation for most? Is it a factor, or no?

I've been out of the loop for a while. Now that the protests are "winding down" cv19 seems to have suddenly come back to the fore.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

As Kung would say, you were doing great until you made it about ____ (in this case, Biden). If it works one way, it certainly ought to work the other.
                  Yeah, but you have to admit your President has saved a million lives.

81YdEHW0k0L._AC_SY550_.jpg

#benicetothechinese

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

What is the current consensus of rate of death from this virus? Going up? Down? Is that pertinent to the conversation for most? Is it a factor, or no?

I've been out of the loop for a while. Now that the protests are "winding down" cv19 seems to have suddenly come back to the fore.
                    The case fatality rate is dropping. This is probably due to the age of the infected population being younger, and young folks don’t get as sick with Covid. Due to more testing, more cases are being found, which also increases the denominator.

Mortality rate, which is based on estimated population has also decreased. It’s about 0.2 to 0.3. That’s the upper end of flu mortality. Because the infection rate is estimated, this is within margin of error of the flu.

One thing to be suspicious of: Novel viruses almost ALWAYS lose potency as they mutate. Evolution would predict a lower mortality rate over time.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

It was Trump, not me, that made it all about Trump. Trump and his WH staff are the ones refusing to tell people to wear masks to reduce the spread of the virus. The scientists and the medical community are begging us to wear masks to slow the progression of the infection.

When Fauci, Birx, and the CDC are saying the most important thing is to avoid large indoor groups without masks and Trump goes to a campaign rally in Tulsa (a CV hot spot) and has an indoor rally with no requirement for masks, he (not me) has made it all about him. I doubt that the 8 campaign staffers and the 2 Secret Service agents, who are now positive and their contacts who are in quarantine, are blaming me.

Right now, Trump is his own worst enemy. If he continues on the path he's on, his approval rating could hit mid-30's by November. His supporters need to attempt to tell him to pursue some agendas other than ignoring CV and eliminating health care for 20 million people.

His apparent stance of non-involvement in racial issues that have moved into the forefront of our political agenda will ensure that minorities will vote in record numbers in November.
                      Mask wearing is a policy program, not a science program. The politicians are begging you to wear masks, not the scientists. Masks without social distancing are worthless. Social distancing without masks is not. You’re starting with an assumption that X is true and attributing the failure of X to an unrelated cause.

6000+ attended the indoor George Floyd memorial in Houston. Is that all about Trump? Why did the “scientists” say that protests were more important than the virus? Maybe it’s because they are political partisans?

Trump has offered assistance to quell the violence, but hasn’t marched the troops in. He signed an executive order banning choke holds. He’s in favor of police reform. What way did you want him involved? Should he have marched with the protestors, avoiding social distancing guidelines like the democrats?

Democrats are like the NCAA. They’re so mad at Trump that they tear down statues of Washington, Jefferson, and Grant.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Trump’s fault

Livin the dream

Comment

It was Trump, not me, that made it all about Trump.
                          The point was that that thread is not for politics. This one is. Rage on Trump all you want here, it's okay. I'm trying to keep the other thread reduced to sharing and debates about the science and facts about the disease. That way people that don't like politics have a place to go to be informed and draw their own opinions/conclusions without all the trump/lib distractions.

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• I couldn’t find the paper this article references, but taking it at face value:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kcr...-them/32965460

The article suggests up to a 2% reduction in transmission due to face mask wearing in public. That aligns with my thoughts on effectiveness.

As a side note, the healthcare company my wife works for has determined that masks are not effective enough to keep their staff safe during patient care (30 minutes within 3 feet). They are implementing face shields.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                              I couldn’t find the paper this article references, but taking it at face value:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.kcr...-them/32965460

The article suggests up to a 2% reduction in transmission due to face mask wearing in public. That aligns with my thoughts on effectiveness.

As a side note, the healthcare company my wife works for has determined that masks are not effective enough to keep their staff safe during patient care (30 minutes within 3 feet). They are implementing face shields.
                              The story is a pro-mask story, but is badly written. U don’t come away saying we must wear masks. I finally traced down the actual study, the 2% is a reduction in growth rate, not transmission rate. Which is More significant.

My company has mandated we go to mask next week because they have a covid cluster In the manufacturing area. They have threatened disciplinary measures if you don’t comply.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post

Yeah, but you have to admit your President has saved a million lives.

81YdEHW0k0L._AC_SY550_.jpg

#benicetothechinese
                                If you worked as hard at thinking with a critical mind as you do posting propaganda, I might conclude you were actually pretty smart. Since you can't, I might say you are somewhat creative but basically ignorant.

Show me, other when where he's said it (and other than CNS news or ONN) where reputable health experts agree with this. Note I know you're going to come up with some crank who supports your position, I'm actually asking you to post something that would be independent and creditable.

Comment

Working...
                                X