No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCov: Political Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said “enormous evidence” exists indicating the coronavirus pandemic began in a lab in Wuhan, China and that the ruling Communist Party did everything it c…

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said “enormous evidence” exists indicating the coronavirus pandemic began in a lab in Wuhan, China and that the ruling Communist Party did everything it could to keep the outbreak under wraps.

“There’s enormous evidence that that’s where this began. We’ve said from the beginning that this was a virus that originated in Wuhan, China. We took a lot of grief for that from the outset. But I think the whole world can see now,” he said on ABC News’ “This Week” on Sunday.
    What do ya'll think of this?

Asked by host Martha Raddatz if he believed the virus was man-made or genetically modified, Pompeo cited “experts” saying it was man-made.
    And particularly this?

Now I can't jump onto the Conspiracy Express just yet, but this virus is so "well made" it's not even funny. If I were to make a virus in order to disrupt world markets, it will look a lot like El Corona.

Here are the facts:

For years Trump has been pounding his chest over how he finally "got the Chinese to pay their share". He even said once that had he not slapped the tariffs on them when he did, their economy would have overtaken ours. Then he goes on to gloat that their economy is in the worst shape it's been in 20 years. This couldn't have gone over well with the Chi-Coms - a dictatorship that will turn guns on its own protesting citizens at the drop of a hat.

Fast forward to this "outbreak" and China is said to be closing down all exit points out of Wuhan. But we now learn they were allowing international flights out of Wuhan to continue? That seems a little suspicious.

When you're trying to solve (find?) a crime, it's best to work backwards looking for a motive. The Chinese had a motive to allow this to escape. Why you ask? Because their economy (stock market) was in the tank prior to the world learning about the new epidemic. Now only a few months later, China declared victory while the rest of the world started reeling. The end result? China's markets gained massively relative to the rest of the world economies (particularly ours).

Maybe it was all just bad luck; maybe it was one angry Chinese actor (remember Timothy McVeigh?); or maybe it was a Chinese intelligence mission. We'll likely never know. But as it stands, China served the world the virus on a silver platter and China is in a helluva lot better position today than they were just 6 mos. ago.

CB conspiracy theory mode: [on] [OFF]

Correlation does not equal causation.

T

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
      We have two threads, one for cussin' and discussin' the disease itself (which you posted in), and this one which is for the political discussion of the virus.

Just wanted to give you a heads up that I moved your post above over to this political thread.

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• How has China been able to proclaim victory in 3 months while, according to you, the US is about ready to fall off the face of the earth?
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
          How has China been able to proclaim victory in 3 months while, according to you, the US is about ready to fall off the face of the earth?
          Because they locked everything down tight as a drum. Wnen you have an authoritarian government you can do that. Not only that, at least where I live, we have a whole bunch of people who suddenly think social distancing is a thing of the past, they are being egged on by the crowd that parades with their AR-15's and call the whole thing a hoax.

I'm concerned we will have another spike. Perhaps we will get lucky, there's a whole lot we still don't understand about this virus, but if we get through this without a spike, it will be luck and not knowlege or skill.

As for me, I prefer making fact-based decisions, so I am going to stay locked down for the next three weeks - 2 weeks due to reporting and testing lags and one extra week so that i have an adequate sample size demonstrating that things are 'still turning around'.

Comment

• There will almost certainly be a second spike in the fall.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
              There will almost certainly be a second spike in the fall.
              It does seems inevitable. My hope is that we have a better understanding of what we’re dealing with and will be better prepared this time. IMO, there is no excuse for the second wave to be worse than the first.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

It does seems inevitable. My hope is that we have a better understanding of what we’re dealing with and will be better prepared this time. IMO, there is no excuse for the second wave to be worse than the first.
                There are lots of reasons the second wave could be worse. One reason could be that we were super successful the first time (if that’s the case).

Hopefully we will have treatments available by the fall.
                Livin the dream

Comment

There are lots of reasons the second wave could be worse. One reason could be that we were super successful the first time (if that’s the case).

Hopefully we will have treatments available by the fall.
                  We have knowledge and experience that we didn’t three months ago. More people have been exposed who weren't three months ago. We should have a stockpile of tests and other supplies that we didn’t before.

We won’t be locked down but for all of those reasons I really feel like there is no reason we can’t mitigate the next wave.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    How has China been able to proclaim victory in 3 months while, according to you, the US is about ready to fall off the face of the earth?
                    They are lying.

Comment

We have knowledge and experience that we didn’t three months ago. More people have been exposed who weren't three months ago. We should have a stockpile of tests and other supplies that we didn’t before.

We won’t be locked down but for all of those reasons I really feel like there is no reason we can’t mitigate the next wave.
                      Will kids be in school next fall?
                      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Mississippi, one of the first states to reopen, has had a spike in confirmed cases and deaths: https://www.forbes.com/sites/carliep.../#3a416a922fae.

The true struggle is to try to link reopening to the increase in cases and spikes. Perhaps the increase had nothing to do with reopening - which is a possibility - or perhaps they were a direct link to reopening - another possibility.

As more states reopen and more data comes through, we will have a better idea. But one state's data is far too noisy to make real generalizations on.
                        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Will kids be in school next fall?
                          What state/city and what education level?

Comment

What state/city and what education level?
                            I think he was just stating that school exposure could be a reason for a worse second wave.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

I think he was just stating that school exposure could be a reason for a worse second wave.
                              I understand that. I would prefer he say it instead playing the rhetorical question game.

Comment

• From what I can tell there is a lack of research on how effective school closures are at limiting the spread of Coronavirus. The ones that do exist are inconclusive. That being said, logically it seems to make sense that they would limit spread.

It still falls under the category of we have more information and supplies. Plans can be made to limit, to the best of our knowledge and ability, the spread among students while bringing them back to school. Tests and contact tracing can be done to ensure any outbreaks are contained.

Comment

Working...
                                X