Coronavirus 2019-nCov: Political Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CBB_Fan View Post
    The anti-malaria drug is used more in the USA for autoimmune disorders, like lupus. About 50 million Americans have such a disorder, though likely only a small percentage use this specific drug.

Right now, they cannot get this drug because people (including doctors) are hoarding it. Many of whom don't even have coronavirus, just the fear that they might get it or that their sniffles are the virus.

These drugs prevent things like mild lupus from progressing to kidney failure and become almost daily multivitamins for those affected. It also is used by rheumatoid arthritis sufferers.

When we say "I want my grandmother to have this" what we are doing is promoting taking it from people with actual diseases to treat the families of doctors and those wealthy enough to secure the drug, most often well in advance of actual coronavirus sickness.

There isn't enough of this drug to promote its untested use in this application.
    While what you and Oregon Shocker should be considered as we move forward, it doesn’t have to be one or the other. Certainly, we should make sure that those who already need it are getting it, but after that, making sure doctors and pharmacies aren’t hoarding it and then making sure it gets distributed is a good idea.
    Livin the dream

Comment

Here's some great numbers we can all rally around, coming out of Italy:

italy-deaths-trend.jpg

Aren't they the new ground zero?

Comment

Originally posted by ShockingButTrue View Post
        Here's some great numbers we can all rally around, coming out of Italy:

italy-deaths-trend.jpg

Aren't they the new ground zero?
        Italy reported 743 dead today. So I’d be extremely careful using TWO DAYS to determine that they are on the downhill trend - because they clearly are not.
        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

However, what I would consider good news:

This is information from a "smart thermometer" company that tracks temperature readings taken with their devices. The curve is trending down for abnormal illnesses in NY at the moment.

This case studies on this will be extremely fascinating to see how accurate it was able to measure COVID clusters. Truly has scale and usability that is extremely valuable.
          Last edited by wsushox1; March 24, 2020, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

I can’t read the times, but the post states that doctors were using it as a prophylactic. That’s a problem. Also, 130 million doses are about to be donated if approved.
            Agreed; that's a HUGE problem. I guess there are some warts on the nose of my profession....

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

While what you and Oregon Shocker should be considered as we move forward, it doesn’t have to be one or the other. Certainly, we should make sure that those who already need it are getting it, but after that, making sure doctors and pharmacies aren’t hoarding it and then making sure it gets distributed is a good idea.
              Totally agree; distribution is ALWAYS tricky. Think of organ donations; used to do it by region. That's why steve jobs bought homes all over the place to make sure he covered all the numbers in the organ roulette wheel. So, does NY get ALL, or MOST of the med because they have the MOST cases, leaving others to HOPE there's some left over? Gets tricky....

Comment

Either way it goes, one has to admit America has the right Man for the job:

Amid the COVID-19 situation, Donald Trump's job approval rating has increased five percentage points from the prior survey.

Comment

But remember: We inherited a broken, obsolete system. It was good for a small number of people, but not good for the millions of people that we’re talking about. And we’ve made this into a system that, no matter where you go in the world, that’s where they’re going, that’s what they want to do, that’s how they’re going to be doing it should something like this happen again.

So our people have done a fantastic job. Really, a fantastic job. And I hope the new test works out. We’ll know fairly soon, I think, Doctor. We’re going to be knowing about that fairly soon. Hopefully, it’ll check out or test out. And we certainly are looking forward to that. That will be a very simple test by comparison. It won’t will be unpleasant at all.

And one other thing: the ships. So we have the Mercy, and that’s in — it’s going to California, as you know. That’s in — on the West Coast now. And you have a sister ship that’s essentially a twin. They’re incredible. I mean, they’re incredible ships.

I’ve seen it. I’ve seen one of them, and they are unbelievable — what they can do and the capacity. Many operating rooms. You know, they’re wartime ships. They’re meant for war. Many, many operating rooms. Stainless steel. These rooms are as good as there is anywhere in the nation, actually.
                  He might not be the hero we need. But he's definitely the hero we deserve.

Comment

Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post

Totally agree; distribution is ALWAYS tricky. Think of organ donations; used to do it by region. That's why steve jobs bought homes all over the place to make sure he covered all the numbers in the organ roulette wheel. So, does NY get ALL, or MOST of the med because they have the MOST cases, leaving others to HOPE there's some left over? Gets tricky....
                    There’s lots of ways to distribute to the market. None are perfect. I just don’t think the right thing to do is forbid all people from taking this particular drug if it’s available to some.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post

I just wanted to quote this for emphasis.

I’m glad he said this and I’m glad it was quoted. It’s a fundamental difference between libertarianism and elitism. Certainly, those that are the most educated make the better decisions on average, for themselves and for others. What it neglects is autonomy.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

Told my wife last night...if this nearly complete shutdown of the economy continues, we will long for the days of the 2008 recession. Small business will be all but eradicated, and unemployment numbers will be through the roof, with the poorest among us unable to cope. There's a mortality rate to that, too...and it affects a much larger group of people.

"In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post

He might not be the hero we need. But he's definitely the hero we deserve.
                          Yup, easy to live a guiltless life when you blame everyone else for your screwups and refuse to take personal accountability.

Comment

Re: Harvard......not sure they can legally use endowment funds to pay dining workers - especially contract workers. Just the reality of our tax code.

Comment

Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                              Re: Harvard......not sure they can legally use endowment funds to pay dining workers - especially contract workers. Just the reality of our tax code.
                              I'm sure you're correct (I bet a DC vote on allowing an exemption during this crisis would be right down party lines, what do you think?) but ignore that and address all the other employees in that article. (Not saying you, just everyone).

The 76ers president was excoriated yesterday for suggesting that hourly workers were going to lose jobs and take pay cuts while Joel Embid said he'd donate 500K for that (something along those lines).

If we're calling out fat cat billionaire sports franchise owners in this crisis, shouldn't we hold other fat cats to the same expectations (Harvard etc) or their insanely well paid mostly not working staff, to make sure the bottom tier workers get theirs?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

I'm sure you're correct (I bet a DC vote on allowing an exemption during this crisis would be right down party lines, what do you think?) but ignore that and address all the other employees in that article. (Not saying you, just everyone).

The 76ers president was excoriated yesterday for suggesting that hourly workers were going to lose jobs and take pay cuts while Joel Embid said he'd donate 500K for that (something along those lines).

If we're calling out fat cat billionaire sports franchise owners in this crisis, shouldn't we hold other fat cats to the same expectations (Harvard etc) or their insanely well paid mostly not working staff, to make sure the bottom tier workers get theirs?
                                Yes to all points except a party line vote - I'd hope it would be a more bipartisan issue.

Shouldn't surprise anyone about the 76ers not wanting to pay considering the owner is a Private Equity guy. Not saying all PE guys are bad - but their business is inherently about cutting costs.

Comment

Working...
                                X