Coronavirus 2019-nCov: Political Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I'm sure they are. I worry how much US stock they are currently purchasing?

I bet they’re eating stocks up like they do with US debt with the way countries panicking right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
      Seniors need to stay in the bunker, until we get it licked.
      Everybody's situation is different. I guess I would qualify as a senior (69.5) although I still rarely ask for my senior discounts. Maybe its because I still work longer hours than most folks of any age.

However, my situation is that I am a desk jockey and I eat lunch almost exclusively at my desk. I interact with fewer people in my office at my place of employment than I would if I stayed at home. When I do interact with folks I generally will wear a mask. I do have a elderly mother-in-law with pretty advanced COPD living at home so my biggest concern is not to take anything home. Just about any upper respiratory ailment at this point would probably do her in.

I feel very fortunate to be able to continue working. My wife (68.5) also still works part-time and is able to work from home. In fact, her mother's condition is such that I am not sure she would be able to go back to working out the home.

I really feel badly for those who are getting the short-end of the stick through no fault of their own. Does anyone have a suggestion for where a person who is in more fortunate circumstances than many during this pandemic can make a contribution that will do the most good for the most people?

Perhaps the Kansas Food Bank Warehouse would be a good one. Any other suggestions?

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
        If the med journal out of Santa Clara County is correct, that 50-to-85x of the reported cases have antibodies, then the state of New York already has 11,000,000-18,000,000 people with antibodies and should open up full throttle immediately. We would expect to see more deaths because of lag, but the number of new cases and deaths should flat line soon.
        Seems to me the testing rate would need to be similar to make this assumption and from what I can tell NY has one of the highest testing rates per capita whereas CA has one of the lowest.
        Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post
          Seems to me the testing rate would need to be similar
          Interesting. I wonder what the testing rate in Santa Clara County, specifically is? Could probably use those two numbers to dial it in a bit more.
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Everybody's situation is different. I guess I would qualify as a senior (69.5) although I still rarely ask for my senior discounts. Maybe its because I still work longer hours than most folks of any age.

However, my situation is that I am a desk jockey and I eat lunch almost exclusively at my desk. I interact with fewer people in my office at my place of employment than I would if I stayed at home. When I do interact with folks I generally will wear a mask. I do have a elderly mother-in-law with pretty advanced COPD living at home so my biggest concern is not to take anything home. Just about any upper respiratory ailment at this point would probably do her in.

I feel very fortunate to be able to continue working. My wife (68.5) also still works part-time and is able to work from home. In fact, her mother's condition is such that I am not sure she would be able to go back to working out the home.

I really feel badly for those who are getting the short-end of the stick through no fault of their own. Does anyone have a suggestion for where a person who is in more fortunate circumstances than many during this pandemic can make a contribution that will do the most good for the most people?

Perhaps the Kansas Food Bank Warehouse would be a good one. Any other suggestions?
            I completely agree that it should be left up to the individual, always. It sucks all around. Health conditions are a big factor. I was thinking more about seniors in care facilities. In close quarters with a lot of people at higher risk.

I liked the idea that some of the beer companies had of donating to funds to help bartenders. But i have no idea if its local. I'm just ready to go eat out and leave 50% tips.
            "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by Walker View Post

I’m a proponent of the 10th amendment as much as anybody but I believe that this becomes a federal issue when people are being deprived a peaceable assembly. That’s specifically laid out in the first amendment. I don’t see how the states and local governments could implement orders that are are in violation of something specifically laid out in the constitution.
              My interpretation is that the states are violating our individual rights as protected under the constitution. Really just a lawsuit away from getting it overturned.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

My interpretation is that the states are violating our individual rights as protected under the constitution. Really just a lawsuit away from getting it overturned.
                I don’t believe anyone was arrested or even cited at the recent michigan protest. My understanding is that the ability to assemble to protest the government is the main thing protected by the constitution. I haven’t seen that limited yet.

As far as the other stuff, I don’t know enough to know if it violates the constitution or not but I think most reasonable people understand why these orders are in place and are willing to accept them as a temporary measure for the safety of the nations citizens.

Temporary being the key word and I believe 100% that those responsible for issuing the order want them lifted as soon as possible for many obvious reasons.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

I don’t believe anyone was arrested or even cited at the recent michigan protest. My understanding is that the ability to assemble to protest the government is the main thing protected by the constitution. I haven’t seen that limited yet.

As far as the other stuff, I don’t know enough to know if it violates the constitution or not but I think most reasonable people understand why these orders are in place and are willing to accept them as a temporary measure for the safety of the nations citizens.

Temporary being the key word and I believe 100% that those responsible for issuing the order want them lifted as soon as possible for many obvious reasons.
                  Freedom to assemble is protected regardless of reason.

Livin the dream

Comment

• Get a load of this knock-kneed twerp:

TDS.png

He comes off like he has an accurate number of people infected or something. Who does he think he is?

Does he want the Country shut down until the middle of Summer? Surely it's not political because of who his President is. Oh, wait...
                    Last edited by ShockingButTrue; April 18, 2020, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• Have the mitigation efforts on the caronavirus and the possible damage to our economy been worth it?

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                        Have the mitigation efforts on the caronavirus and the possible damage to our economy been worth it?

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...19_crisis.html
                        Moved your post to politics thread.
                        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                          Have the mitigation efforts on the caronavirus and the possible damage to our economy been worth it?

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...19_crisis.html
                          Incredibly intelligent, objective, and measured discussion. I watched the whole thing then realized it was from 3/24. Luckily the follow up interview is available and just as worth listening to.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Incredibly intelligent, objective, and measured discussion. I watched the whole thing then realized it was from 3/24. Luckily the follow up interview is available and just as worth listening to.
                            This Stanford medical researcher, and economist is doing a lot of research on the mortality rate of the Covid virus, and whether more people have had it than is suspected. He is conducting research in L.A. and other places on the coast. He also is researching whether more people have had it than we know about. Another two articles on his research were posted with this article in the caronavirus section of SN but this article was moved. You can tell from this article that the professor questions the “ACCEPTED PREVAILING WISDOM” of the medical that the economic fallout is worth it.

Comment

• I am curious what is the take of members of this board about Dr. Rashid Buttar's assertion regarding CDC, WHO, Bill Gates, Fauchi are inflating the pandemic numbers. I will hang up and listen.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOXAAC View Post
                                I am curious what is the take of members of this board about Dr. Rashid Buttar's assertion regarding CDC, WHO, Bill Gates, Fauchi are inflating the pandemic numbers. I will hang up and listen.
                                He barely has his license to practice still.
                                The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Working...
                                X