Coronavirus 2019-nCov: Political Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

How do you read that as the government getting in the way? Or as that showing the nimbleness of the private sector?
    I read this the same way you did when I first read it. Then I thought about it. What DOESN'T point to decades of government regulations and compliance in that paragraph? The hospitals are in contract paralysis for only two reasons: Government compliance and financial risk. And the financial risk is very much because of compliance and regulations.
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

I wouldn't be so quick to call bullshit until I was able to determine what is driving the shortage. It could be a supply chain issue.
      In interest of time, I only read this first sentence, so if my response doesn't make sense on what you posted, I apologize. I assume you are talking about the very temporary swab shortage?

Good news, there are about to be (if not already) millions of swabs made in the United States every day: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_relea...-bps033120.php

We don't have to wait on Italy anymore. Note that article was written 14 days ago.

But sure, we should wait until the swab manufacturers are fully online before we start the economy. I'm okay with that. Once that box is checked, are you good?
      Last edited by Kung Wu; April 14, 2020, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

I will disagree.

If you listen to the state of Kansas and Wichita health departments they say they are rationing tests and they wish the could test more of the population, but can't. They are working to be able to get more testing available based on their briefings, but it seems to be a slow process.

https://www.kwch.com/content/news/Se...569496861.html

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2020...1211586288706/

There is good news in Johnson county, they are planning to implement random testing next week of 2,000 so they can get an idea where they actually stand as a community.

https://fox4kc.com/tracking-coronavi...county-kansas/

The solution is already underway. But I'm definitely fine with waiting to make sure the swab shortage threat that never happened is completely resolved. Once that's done, we are good to go then?

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post
          I am also at risk because I have a significant risk factor. I'm the guy who's rolling up his sleeves when the flu vaccine comes out every year as a result.
          You're an insurance guy so I know you will do an excellent job assessing your own personal risk. And that's really what it all comes down to. At some point each family has to understand their own personal risks and live within their own framework of risk tolerance.

Debate aside, stay safe Mr. Khan!
          Last edited by Kung Wu; April 13, 2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

• I am getting to the point where I am willing to accept a bit more risk to get things going here locally in a week or so if things continue as they have been. In Reno County we have only had 13 confirmed cases and just three new ones in the past 7-10 days. There have only been three hospitalizations.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I read this the same way you did when I first read it. Then I thought about it. What DOESN'T point to decades of government regulations and compliance in that paragraph? The hospitals are in contract paralysis for only two reasons: Government compliance and financial risk. And the financial risk is very much because of compliance and regulations.
              I'd be very interested to hear you expand upon those. Good contracts are specifically designed to be advantageous for both parties. Is it possible the private sector labs had sole provider clauses with the hospitals? On the hospital side, them agreeing to a sole provider clause allows them access to cheaper lab processing? Could we both agree that those types of clauses are advantageous for both sides but not in an exogenous situation like this?

I'm not saying that government regulation and compliance doesn't have anything to do with the problems that hospitals are facing. But I'm not willing to put all the blame on those reasons. Again, my broader point with that whole message is this: private sector health is not financially incentivized to prepare for once in a century pandemic. There is absolutely no sound financial reason for them to build excess capacity for it and I suspect some MHA's would agree. The health system can't scale like azure or AWS.
              Last edited by wsushox1; April 13, 2020, 06:17 PM.
              The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• My personal biggest concern is people seeing a national decline in cases and deaths over the next and assume we are through the worst of it and it's business as usual. It will look to be in decrease soon because our numbers are being over-represented by NYC. Other communities and states lag far behind their exposure. Not only that even NYC isn't past this, they have been in strict lockdown to control it. The only way we get past this is through establishing robust herd immunity, which studies are suggesting we need about close to 70% or more given how easily spread this is. There are only two ways to get there, either a vaccine, which we don't have yet, or by getting it. Even NYC is nowhere in the realm of that level of infections. People must realize, this virus didn't even reach humans until November most likely and that started with perhaps just possibly one person or even a family, we are only 5 months later we are nearing two million official reported cases. Consider that if we go back to "normal" soon, then we will be restarting exposure with far more contact points than just the handful in China, and in far more areas. What do you think will happen?

Comment

• I think we stay the course for a couple more weeks then we start to let healthy people go to offices and stores and restaurants open up in places where the virus doesn't seem to be as prevalent. Senior citizens and those with health concerns need to take a more cautious approach. But as stated. We have to start building up some herd immunity, so we have to start exposing more of the healthier population (those least likely to require hospitalization) to the virus, if it's still out there. There may not be any way of knowing how prevalent it is until we test the waters.

I have heard some reports that the summer months will be less drastic, so that seems like the best time for people to get out and about. Still with the understanding that older folks and less healthy people proceed with caution.

And some people will still be shut ins until the very end.

Still gonna be a decision on a personal level how much exposure they want to subject them and their family to.

I would be in favor of keeping schools closed, possibly into next year. Schools are just a big germ exchange center if you ask me. Keeping them shut would probably muffle a lot of the spread alone.
                  "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                    I think we stay the course for a couple more weeks then we start to let healthy people go to offices and stores and restaurants open up in places where the virus doesn't seem to be as prevalent. Senior citizens and those with health concerns need to take a more cautious approach. But as stated. We have to start building up some herd immunity, so we have to start exposing more of the healthier population (those least likely to require hospitalization) to the virus, if it's still out there. There may not be any way of knowing how prevalent it is until we test the waters.

I have heard some reports that the summer months will be less drastic, so that seems like the best time for people to get out and about. Still with the understanding that older folks and less healthy people proceed with caution.

And some people will still be shut ins until the very end.

Still gonna be a decision on a personal level how much exposure they want to subject them and their family to.

I would be in favor of keeping schools closed, possibly into next year. Schools are just a big germ exchange center if you ask me. Keeping them shut would probably muffle a lot of the spread alone.
                    Speaking of germs, hope they keep the McDonald's (and other) Play-Places closed until the virus is 99.9% eradicated.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockCrazy View Post
                      My personal biggest concern is people seeing a national decline in cases and deaths over the next and assume we are through the worst of it and it's business as usual. It will look to be in decrease soon because our numbers are being over-represented by NYC. Other communities and states lag far behind their exposure. Not only that even NYC isn't past this, they have been in strict lockdown to control it. The only way we get past this is through establishing robust herd immunity, which studies are suggesting we need about close to 70% or more given how easily spread this is. There are only two ways to get there, either a vaccine, which we don't have yet, or by getting it. Even NYC is nowhere in the realm of that level of infections. People must realize, this virus didn't even reach humans until November most likely and that started with perhaps just possibly one person or even a family, we are only 5 months later we are nearing two million official reported cases. Consider that if we go back to "normal" soon, then we will be restarting exposure with far more contact points than just the handful in China, and in far more areas. What do you think will happen?
                      How long do you propose the country be shut down? 6 months? 12 months? 18 months?
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• One thing I find humorous in this is the food-to-go concept. People assume all of these lower end jobs are practicing perfect personal hygiene. And unless the cashier is washing their hands or changing gloves after every transaction (lol nope), then access is available from every person passing through the drive thru to give coronavirus.

It’s hilarious that the CDC came out and said food transmission is not an issue. Yah, unless you microwave everything before you eat it. They’re only saying that to keep that part of the economy going. There’s still as much risk as there as all of the other places and avenues they’ve shut down.

Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• An interesting take and perhaps a minority point of view: Viruses 101: How Overprotecting People from COVID 19 Could Make it More Lethal

By Brandon P. Reines
                          Brandon P. Reines’s academic appointments include adjunct assistant professor, Department of Biomedical Informatics, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and Visiting Fellow, Department of Applied Mathematics, Australia National University

Comment

• Some governors out there are ensuring the opposite party wins back control of the seat come around the next election. I think the folks who are in favor of the more draconian measures (in Michigan, for example) being force-fed the citizenry are in small minority in this country - political party affiliation no matter. Gonna be some swings, I would bet good money.

Comment

• I’m in favor of keeping gatherings to less than 10.

Masks required for entering retail stores/working in retail stores.

Restaurants as take out only.

2-8 weeks max

Not sure what to do about travel.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                                I’m in favor of keeping gatherings to less than 10.

Masks required for entering retail stores/working in retail stores.

Restaurants as take out only.

2-8 weeks max

Not sure what to do about travel.
                                If u travel to a county/state that has covid-19 growth (these would be identified by that state), then u have to self quarantine for 2 weeks. If you travel out of country u have to self quarantine for 2 weeks.

Comment

Working...
                                X