No announcement yet.

President to Host June 2020 G7 Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you believe Trump would ever do anything at cost, you don't understand him at all. When "no quid pro quo" actually means there was a quid pro quo (according to his Chief of Staff, the whistleblower's report, and the transcript Trump provided). When a "cease fire" means we gave Turkey the rights to occupy 2,000 square miles they've wanted to occupy for decades, and what we got in return was a promise that Turkey would allow Kurds 5 days to leave their homes without getting killed - with no enforcement provision if that was violated. Then "at cost" could mean ANYTHING.

The US hosting a major event at a property owned by the President is specifically banned in the Constitution. The semantics of "at cost" does nothing to make it legal. Determining the actual "cost" would be virtually impossible.

Holding the G7 at Doral is just another example of how Trump has operated his entire career. He blatantly ignores laws and contracts with a "so sue me" approach.

I'm not a brilliant tax accountant, but I know that if I were to do something at a resort I owned, and I was to do the event "at cost", I'd make a paper transfer of the property to another company I controlled, so accelerated depreciation could fire up. I'd make the "value" of the real assets well past the maximum value they could possibly have. Then I'd use accelerated depreciation on those assets, which means I could claim about 20% of the value of the real assets I had claimed as costs in the first year. My "costs" would include that depreciation. I'd fix the place up and claim 100% of that as a "cost" in the first year. Since I wouldn't have had to make those improvements, except for the fact that I was hosting a G7, I'd attribute every penny of any upgrades to the "cost" of the G7. That means MAJOR renovations could be made at the government's expense, but the G7 could still be said to be offered "at cost". I could clear millions in cash flow, spend millions of government $$ on improvements to my property, claim a loss for tax purposes, and claim the property was offered "at cost".

The House is responsible for oversight of the Executive Branch. That's why the House has a House Oversight Committee. The voters elected Trump. The voters also elected a Democratic House. In 2016 the voters spoke and said they wanted Trump in the White House. In 2018, the voters spoke again and said they wanted Democrats in charge of oversight of the Executive Branch. If the Dems in the House let Trump have the G7 at Doral, it's only because that would create an additional Article of Impeachment.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

What’s the constitutional law that prohibits Trump from hosting the G7 at a resort he owns?
      Livin the dream

Comment

Sounds like be cancelled the Doral hosting.
        Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post
          What’s the constitutional law that prohibits Trump from hosting the G7 at a resort he owns?
          The legal analyst used by Fox News says it's the Emoluments clause.
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post

The legal analyst used by Fox News says it's the Emoluments clause.
            Thanks for clarifying. I don’t buy it though.
            Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by wufan View Post

Thanks for clarifying. I don’t buy it though.
              https://www.foxnews.com/politics/dis...w-is-unsettled

This article will answer most your questions Wufan. It mentions the Article/Clause that mentioned in the Constitution and the lack of historical clarification regarding the office of the Presidency and past practice vs. court clarifications. The Dems tried to stop this President’s agenda using many methods. Among them Spying on some of his supporters and alleged dealings with Russia calling it a counterintelligence investigation (Mueller), and court cases against the President (usually western liberal regions) to stop Trump policies, and FINALLY the emoluments clause (that has been mentioned above) that I don’t believe has ever been used against a President. This article tells about this method to stop President Trump from the start. It all comes down to the Swamp impeaching a President they don’t like imo.

The irony is that Trump has taken legal steps to remove himself from business entanglements while he is President. He’s the first President who wasn’t a politician or military general prior to running for President so he’s in new territory.

Comment

Working...
              X