Anthropogenic Global Warming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
    Biden signs up America for Climate Reparations to pay off poor countries so they don't try to develop and become richer. Will this actually help them or hurt them?

https://www.nujournal.com/opinion/20...-nations-most/
    That is horrible policy!
    Livin the dream

Comment

• Another good way to reduce waste

A Greek Island Replaces Landfill with Recycling Plant and Reduces Waste by 85%

In order to keep their little island the pristine Aegean paradise it is, Tilos has gotten rid of their landfill, and replaced it with a circular system that has reduced total waste by 86%.

After being implemented this May, the island of around 750 inhabitants quickly saw progress, after they transformed the landfill into a recycling center and removed the large public common bins for trash.

Set up by Polygreen, the Just Go Zero initiative is hoping to steer other Greek islands towards similar programs.

All biodegradable waste is turned into soil treatments, while plastic, metal, glass, and paper are all recycled.

For non-recyclable goods there is an upcycle center for still-working, as well as for electronics and clothes, either for re-use by someone else, or for artistic creations.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• [QUOTE=Shockm;n1367730]https://www.foxnews.com/media/bjorn-...climate-change

Bjorn Lomborg: The left should stop 'scaring our kids witless' about climate change

[B]BJORN LOMBORG said, "Look, global warming is real, but it's not the end of the world. We should not scare our kids witless

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
        And likewise, it's not going to be cheap. It's going to be fantastically expensive. Almost all studies show this. And we need to be honest about this. Most people are not going to put up with actually doing that. And of course, it leads to bad policies that will ultimately both fail and not deal with climate change and of course, take money away from everything else.
        Do most people realize, that unlike AOC says, the world isn't going to end in 10 years?

and do we have a consensus that most people are willing to raise taxes enough (which has to extend to the middle class), grow our government enough, and put other government welfare programs aside to solve these problems?

My opinion? I don't think so.

Comment

• https://townhall.com/tipsheet/spence...stems-n2616532

more wind turbine trouble

Comment

• A bit of progress for hydrogen. I will always be interested in this tech.

EasyJet and Rolls-Royce Successfully Test 100% Hydrogen-Powered Jet Engine

Rolls-Royce and easyJet yesterday confirmed they have set a new aviation milestone with the world’s first run of a modern jet engine on green hydrogen fuel.

The ground test was conducted on an early concept demonstrator using green hydrogen that was created by wind and tidal power. It marks a major step towards proving that hydrogen could be a zero carbon aviation fuel of the future.

Both companies have set out to prove that hydrogen can safely and efficiently deliver power for civil jet engines and are already planning a second set of tests, with a longer-term ambition to carry out flight tests before the end of the decade.

The partnership was inspired by the UN initiative Race to Zero that many companies have signed on to in order to try and reach zero emissions from operations by the mid-century mark.

As of now, most renewable or green aviation fuels have been made through vegetable oil, or other biological fuels. Hydrogen however is considered to be the only way to fully-decarbonize the aviation industry which accounts for about 3.6% of global greenhouse gas emissions.

Small aircraft can be electrified with batteries, but large, long haul jets need a liquid fuel that burns slowly and can be refueled fast.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
              Our Green Energy Warriors aren't being totally honest on the hardships coming. I heard the other day on the news that France is opening up a Coal Plant because they are concerned about the lack of energy in France that is coming this Winter. Europe is also unhappy with Biden that he isn't providing them with the energy they need. Prices are likely going to spike this Winter everywhere or most places in the world. That's why China has been building coal plants.

Comment

• Wind turbines have an image problem but silent, bladeless designs could change all that | Euronews

I've seen the Aeromine turbine posted here before, but I don't think I've seen the "Skybrator".

Comment

• LMAO
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                    Wind turbines have an image problem but silent, bladeless designs could change all that | Euronews

I've seen the Aeromine turbine posted here before, but I don't think I've seen the "Skybrator".
                    So the Birds and Sea gulls will be protected? Now that's a win/win.

Comment

• This is interesting and of value for those with money who don't drive too far. It would help keep the smaller commutes cleaner.

World's First Solar Car Goes into Production - a 4 Passenger EV That Can Run on the Sun

The world’s first solar car has begun production—a 4-5 passenger EV that hails a new chapter in automotive history.

The Dutch company Lightyear officially commenced assembly of its first vehicle, aptly titled ‘Lightyear 0’, becoming the first automotive firm to manufacture an electric vehicle that generates a realistic amount of charge via sunlight.

Taking advantage of as much body space as possible with their 5 curved solar arrays totaling 53 square feet, the Lightyear 0 (formerly the Lightyear One; see more pics here) charges wherever there is daylight, whether parked or on the move.

Lightyear claims the model can yield up to 40 miles of free range per day from the sun alone (70 km), explaining, “with an infinite power source like that on its roof, Lightyear 0 can drive for months without charging.”

Non-solar charging can be achieved by plugging into a regular home socket, which will offer over 186 miles (300 kilometers) of of range overnight.
                      Still not the everyday car that many would require, but for those that don't travel long distances, you could probably keep the car charged without really plugging in. They are also making progress in solar, with how much energy can be collected and with less material requirements. Who knows where this kind of tech could be in 10 to 20 years.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                        This is interesting and of value for those with money who don't drive too far. It would help keep the smaller commutes cleaner.

World's First Solar Car Goes into Production - a 4 Passenger EV That Can Run on the Sun

Still not the everyday car that many would require, but for those that don't travel long distances, you could probably keep the car charged without really plugging in. They are also making progress in solar, with how much energy can be collected and with less material requirements. Who knows where this kind of tech could be in 10 to 20 years.
                        The idea of a Solar car is interesting. You are correct that a $255,000 car is for a small niche audience. I wonder if 255K per car pays for this niche research or if the company is receiving other sources. Good thing this an EV that allows for evening charging. All renewable energy sources, today, require fossil fuels to supplement their use.

A question that I discovered when reading about this vehicle is that this article mentions two different terms without clarification. One place, sunlight is the word used, and another place, daylight is the word used. Today, in West Wichita, we have a totally foggy day that has turned into a cloudy day. It becomes totally dark at this time of year by 5:15-5:30. I just wonder what actually constitutes a chargeable light.

Hopefully, this car maker has millions or billions of dollars behind him/her so this technology has 10 or 20 years to improve. One thing I would add is that Lomborg (energy expert) who has been referred to earlier on this thread has said that these changes to renewable energy will cost lots of money to not only the rich, but also to middle and lower class people, and that he doesn’t think we are close to solving the gaps between renewables and fossil fuels, so while these auto makers mentioned the advancements made in 10-20 years, Lomborg, wasn’t nearly as optimistic.
                        Last edited by Shockm; December 7, 2022, 02:59 PM.

Comment

• Still a ways to go, but this is apparently exciting many in the science world.

Fusion Breakthrough Announced by Scientists at US Department of Energy

Today the U.S. Department of Energy announced a breakthrough in nuclear fusion where more energy was gained from the process that was needed to heat atoms to temperatures hotter than the sun.

The electricity generated was only enough to boil 10 kettles of water, British fusion energy experts told CNN in anticipation of the release, but who nevertheless described it as “a true breakthrough moment which is tremendously exciting.”

Nuclear fusion is a potential new energy source with increasingly real potential to solve the West’s energy needs. It replicates the process of melding two atomic nuclei together which happens at the center of our sun, a function of physics which releases intense amounts of energy as heat through escaping neutrons.

Theoretically, it has the potential to generate enough energy to power a household for a human lifetime on a single glass of seawater, remarks MIT’s fusion company. It produces no emissions, and unlike nuclear fission, the currently-used method of nuclear power, generates no radioactive waste.

The breakthrough was achieved at the National Ignition Facility located in the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, California, where giant lasers bombarded a hydrogen fuel source, likely the heavy hydrogen isotope deuterium, with an array of 200 lasers. It produced around 5.6 kilowatt hours of energy.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Further down in the article ...

The only concern is that when two atomic nuclei fuse, similar to a nuclear reaction, the fusion will set off a chain reaction causing all nearby atoms to fuse and thus the Earth will nearly instantly become a dwarf star. Biden's DoE have made it clear that the need for alternative energy is so critical, that they will work toward reversing the result of the chain reaction after their first fusion test of two atoms next Wednesday.
                            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                              Further down in the article ...
                              That would seem somewhat self defeating........although I'm certain the left would praise that particular result as a way for Earth to start anew.

Comment

Working...
                              X