No announcement yet.

Justice Kennedy Retiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manchin furiously searching airbnb and vrbo as we speak for a nuclear bunker to check into for the next 24 hours.

Comment

• Collins speech is hilarious. I don't know how much input she had in writing this speech, but it's really, really misleading. She said something about Kavanaugh and a challenge to the ACA and she said and he "denied the challenge on 'NARROW PROCEDURAL GROUNDS'" as if that were like a big endorsement of the ACA, and she said he's a moderate since he sided with Merrick Garland 93% of the time, without acknowledging that lower courts are required to follow precedent, so it would theoretically be quite a bit more uncommon to have splits.

Comment

• ShockCrazy
        ShockCrazy commented
        Editing a comment
        I also like that she said Kavanuagh said that 5 Supreme Court Justices agreeing that previous precedent was wrongly judged somehow wasn't enough for overturning the law. What the hell else does the Supreme Court do? Isn't that explicitly the point?

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
      She said something about Kavanaugh and a challenge to the ACA and she said and he "denied the challenge on 'NARROW PROCEDURAL GROUNDS'" as if that were like a big endorsement of the ACA...
      I’m not a barrister, but I caught that too and had a bit of a “wut” moment.

Comment

• Also regardless of her vote I despise this stupid grandstanding. She's going to spend 30 minutes plus trying to give herself political cover for her vote.

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
          C0|dB|00ded commented
          Editing a comment
          This "stupid grandstanding" would be worth it if only to earn a brief respite from the efforts of your stupid Elevator Screamers...

T

...:cool:

• Manchin is an official YES!

No need to bring in a ringer (Pence) to settle the tie.

T

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
          SHOCKvalue commented
          Editing a comment
          I would guess it will work opposite of that. Meaning no need to wait on Montana when Pence is already there.

• Lindsey Graham was just talking about this process and said "if one allegation isn't enough, how 'bout five?" Which... yeah, I mean, that's how it works, right? Again, regardless of what you think about the Kavanaugh stuff, but it definitely took more than a single allegation against Cosby or Weinstein, right? Just seems like a really silly statement.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
          Manchin is an official YES!

No need to bring in a ringer (Pence) to settle the tie.

T

It's so funny that it was released within about 5 minutes of Collins' speech. He was always going to find a way to end up on the winning side, and he didn't waste ANY time once he knew Collins was the deciding vote.

Comment

It's so funny that it was released within about 5 minutes of Collins' speech. He was always going to find a way to end up on the winning side, and he didn't waste ANY time once he knew Collins was the deciding vote.
            Yeah, but he’s not required at this point, right? Manchin is 52 if including Pence, isn’t he?

EDIT: Maybe you meant Manchin was sweating it out thinking he might be 51 on either side.

Comment

• 1972Shocker
              1972Shocker commented
              Editing a comment
              I thought Pence is only involved to break a 50-50 tie. Otrherwise, he doesn't vote.

• jdshock
              jdshock commented
              Editing a comment
              I meant he was sweating it out to be 50. If Collins had said no, he'd be 50 in favor and Dems would've lost their minds. As soon as Collins was the deciding vote to get it to 50 (where Pence breaks the tie anyway), Manchin felt comfortable being 51.

Either way, you're right that he's totally unneeded at this point since Pence would break the tie. It's just him putting his name behind the side that he thinks is best for his chances in November.

Edit - I see your post above talking about the Montana stuff. It's possible Manchin is actually still just 50 if they vote without Montana. If that's the case, Pence will break the tie. In that case, Manchin is technically the "deciding" vote.

• Reporters trying to interview Manchin and the Elevator Screamers won't stop screaming "SHAME!" so nobody can hear what he's saying. Another example of this generation's lack of any civility. Now they're chanting "LOOK AT US, LOOK AT US!" Like a bunch of spoiled babies. The CBS reporter just said she's never seen such aggression from protesters in her entire career on Capitol Hill. She said the police have been working nonstop so the Senators could simply do their jobs.

These protests were not about sexual violence, this was the sound of a deranged liberal activist party suffering a lethal wound that will last for decades. The Supreme Court is now controlled by justices who are level headed constructionists that WILL NOT be swayed by efforts from those who would seek to transform America into their own liberal "Utopia".

HIP! HIP! HOORAY! HIP! HIP! HOORAY!

Trump can now retire. His work is done.

T

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
              Trump can now retire.
              Can we call this motion bipartisan then?

Comment

• C0|dB|00ded
                C0|dB|00ded commented
                Editing a comment
                Well... there's Pence waiting in the wings. :)

T

• shockfan89_
                shockfan89_ commented
                Editing a comment
                I think Trump is just getting started. Now we need RBG and Stephen Breyer to retire after the Republicans pick up a few more Senate seats in November. Then, after Trump's re-election in 2020, Clarence Thomas might as well retire and give Trump his 5th pick to SCOTUS. Then we should be safe for the next 20 or 30 years.

But, just for fun, in Trumps final year, like maybe 45 days before the 2024 election, with a strong Republican majority in the Senate, Alito and Roberts should retire giving Trump his 6th and 7th SCOTUS judges. TDS in full effect!

• Manchin will be re-elected now. I suspect that allegation number 2 and number 3 had the opposite effect than those liars had hoped.

Comment

• SHOCKvalue
                SHOCKvalue commented
                Editing a comment
                There’s a site (can’t remember) that tries to basically quantify where a given politician falls on the left-right scale. Manchin is considered to be to the (overall) right of like half-a-dozen Republican senators.

Lindsey Graham was just talking about this process and said "if one allegation isn't enough, how 'bout five?" Which... yeah, I mean, that's how it works, right? Again, regardless of what you think about the Kavanaugh stuff, but it definitely took more than a single allegation against Cosby or Weinstein, right? Just seems like a really silly statement.
              It takes corroboration. Multiple women said he drugged them. Cosby admitted to druging women. There was a conversation where Cosby said he gave the victims pills. There was a tome and a place and independent evidence of similar instances. We will see what happens with Weinstein, but there are allegedly cooroberatong circumstances and time and place.
              Last edited by wufan; October 5, 2018, 11:21 PM.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• ShockingButTrue
                ShockingButTrue commented
                Editing a comment
                The only corroboration she had was a wink and a nod.

• This occasion calls out for a salute:

To all the haters, he, and we, thank you greatly. See you again in November!

Comment

Collins speech is hilarious. I don't know how much input she had in writing this speech, but it's really, really misleading. She said something about Kavanaugh and a challenge to the ACA and she said and he "denied the challenge on 'NARROW PROCEDURAL GROUNDS'" as if that were like a big endorsement of the ACA, and she said he's a moderate since he sided with Merrick Garland 93% of the time, without acknowledging that lower courts are required to follow precedent, so it would theoretically be quite a bit more uncommon to have splits.
                Yes Jd and Friends loved Susan Collins when they thought she was on their side and may vote against BK. Then, when her speech blew up the dysfunctional “scorched earth” process the Democrats used to Blow up BK’s nomination you turn on her. JD and Crazy defend their Democrat friends and how they torched the CONSTITUTIONAL ADVISE and CONSENT privilege of the Senate. It was shameful and Collins pointed it out. Jd has no response to that?

Comment

Can we call this motion bipartisan then?
                  hahaha
                  Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Working...
                  X