Daniel Shaver shot by police

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daniel Shaver shot by police

Warning, do not click on the video link if you don’t want to see someone shot dead!

Don’t know if anyone has any insight on this. Did the cop screw this up, or is it actually protocol to have suspects in this situation crawl towards you?

Livin the dream

Originally posted by wufan View Post
    Warning, do not click on the video link if you don’t want to see someone shot dead!

Don’t know if anyone has any insight on this. Did the cop screw this up, or is it actually protocol to have suspects in this situation crawl towards you?

None of the articles I read had the fact listed in the Wikipedia article: he used a scoped air rifle to take care of birds in grocery stores. There's something about that mental image that just gets me.

As to the actual incident, it's absolutely disgusting. We've got to figure something out. I understand police officers have a difficult job. And maybe the legal self defense test for a police officer should be more lenient than it is for a regular citizen. But man... There have been some bad cases recently and they seem to get off every time.

Comment

I actually doubt it’s gotten any worse. I think the body cams and video cameras in every pocket have brought it to light.

the thing that got me was the absurdly difficult protocol the suspect had to go through to avoid being shot.

Out of curiosity, what is disturbing about shooting birds in a grocery store warehouse?
      Livin the dream

Comment

Hindsight is always 20-20. Stop me when you've heard this one before...........A guy with a gun in a hotel points it out of the window.....................

Those of us that choose to own firearms certainly understand there's risk associated. Personally, I choose to NOT get drunk and show off in a public arena whatever weapon I happen to be enamored with at that moment.

Nobody is saying he deserved to die. Nobody is saying we can't find better training and techniques. But we're asking (more often than not) young, lightly experienced and highly charged young people to make no mistakes while they protect us (and themselves) from all kinds of bad people every single day. It's a borderline impossible task. Do any of you want to be charged with that responsibility for say 47k? How many of us wonder if we're going home after we clock out tonight?

Comment

I have much respect for what officers do. I’m honestly not sure the officer did anything wrong, but it was tragic to watch. I’m just curious if the officer should have done something hung different.
          Livin the dream

Comment

the thing that got me was the absurdly difficult protocol the suspect had to go through to avoid being shot.
            I didn't watch it, but from your description maybe it was more improvised than protocol?

Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

I have much respect for what officers do. I’m honestly not sure the officer did anything wrong, but it was tragic to watch. I’m just curious if the officer should have done something hung different.
              What the officer should have done, and what I've seen them do, is to have the suspect raise his hands (or put his hands with fingers interlocked on the back of his head). Then turn around and walk backwards towards the officer's voice. When he is close enough, then the other officer can put the cuffs on him.

Also, I didn't see it mentioned in the comments on the video, but do Arizona police officers not use tasers?

Comment

Out of curiosity, what is disturbing about shooting birds in a grocery store warehouse?
                Shooting birds with a scoped airsoft rifle in a grocery store seems like a really humorous job title.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post

Shooting birds with a scoped airsoft rifle in a grocery store seems like a really humorous job title.
                  It was an air rifle (BBs or pellets) not air soft rifle. He was an exterminator. Birds get into those warehouses and roost in the rafters.

That said, WuDrWu is correct. You don’t mess with those when intoxicated, and you don’t mess with them in public w/o specific planned action.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I didn't watch it, but from your description maybe it was more improvised than protocol?
                    The only thing I can think is that they were in a narrow hallway with multiple doorways where a secondary suspect could pop out. Have to move the assumed armed suspect to a safe locale before cuffing him.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

What the officer should have done, and what I've seen them do, is to have the suspect raise his hands (or put his hands with fingers interlocked on the back of his head). Then turn around and walk backwards towards the officer's voice. When he is close enough, then the other officer can put the cuffs on him.

Also, I didn't see it mentioned in the comments on the video, but do Arizona police officers not use tasers?
                      Seems reasonable, although I’m not sure he would have been able to keep his pants up...may have been same end result.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

I actually doubt it’s gotten any worse. I think the body cams and video cameras in every pocket have brought it to light.

The officer took a situation where NO threat had been made to him, the two people were complying, and turned it into an extremely tense situation. If what he was doing was "protocol", somebody needs to rewrite the book. The officer was putting him through a LOT of (unneeded) commands, threatening him if he made one mistake or misunderstood a command he would die. You could here the victim getting more and more scared, nervous, and confused on what to do. I still don't understand the firing of several rounds from an AR15 into someone's back and head when there is no visible threat, but a misunderstanding of ridiculous commands.

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

Nobody is saying he deserved to die. Nobody is saying we can't find better training and techniques. But we're asking (more often than not) young, lightly experienced and highly charged young people to make no mistakes while they protect us (and themselves) from all kinds of bad people every single day. It's a borderline impossible task. Do any of you want to be charged with that responsibility for say 47k? How many of us wonder if we're going home after we clock out tonight?
                        So, does lower pay than what should be excuse the most egregious mistake of killing someone that should not have died?

This victim definitely did not deserve to die. I understand the tough task. This officer also had an older partner with him, so he was not alone to deal with the situation.
                        Tell me what you think of this "incident".

See below. This officer, IMO, threw gasoline on a situation and then lit a match to it. The outcome was not surprising. Was he the best the city had available for that type of situation?

Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

Comment

Working...
                        X