No announcement yet.

Wichita Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Eagle was on a mission to save Wichita from its conservative transgressions. It wasn’t about what made economic sense. Crowson was a middle finger to the average reader.

Comment

Seems to be getting worse. Needs a local bailout to become a vibrant LOCAL newspaper again

interesting to read this thread

Comment

It never gets old ASM enjoying the squirm of those on the wrong side of history.
      Last edited by Veritas; August 15, 2019, 02:59 AM.

Comment

• Awesome Sauce Malone
        Awesome Sauce Malone commented
        Editing a comment
        Would you like to speak with a manager?

But it always appears that history is written by the winners

Comment

Sinking ship with the mother company. Might be delisted.
        Needs local ownership. For more insight read the KC link (of course)

Tony Berg is out as publisher of The Kansas City Star and Mike Fannin, its editor since 2008, has been named president of the newspaper.Berg was named…

Comment

The Eagle’s biggest problem is its ownership. @shockvalue’s comparison to the Omaha paper is interesting, but it needs to be mentioned the Omaha World Herald is owned by Berkshire Hathaway, so for obvious reasons it is well funded.

With any luck, McClatchey will sell the Eagle to local ownership or at least some company that cares about something other than just the bottom line before the Eagle goes belly up. What is happening now is not sustainable.
          "It's amazing to watch Ron slide into that open area, Fred will find him and it's straight cash homie."--HCGM

Comment

Eagle is closing the Old Town Office. Nothing in the works to reopen another. Few reporters that are left are working from home. Expect more filler from KC Star. Printing now moved from KC to Des Moines.
            Please Koch industries, buy the once proud Eagle.

ASM: still nothing to see here?

Comment

New Wichita Eagle Editor just moved in June, from California Bay Area says they are going to hire more reporters including additional investigative journalists, and do more local investigative stories. For Taylor Eldridge’s sake, I hope they give him help in the sports department so he can do more Wichita State Beat stories on all sports.

Taylor,
              Are you listening, and more importantly, are they going to hire another reporter to cover Friends University, local/state high schools and our minor league teams in baseball, Soccer, etc. ? You have been overworked, and not allowed to do the MAIN job you were hired to do.

I don’t know if you can read this article, but it is entitled “You talked we listened. Get ready for a Reimagined Wichita Eagle”
              New Editor: Riley Gutierrez Mcdermid

https://www.kansas.com/opinion/opn-c...253318478.html
              Last edited by Shockm; August 8, 2021, 04:14 PM.

Comment

Eagle's new editor also said they were going to give more column space to Denise Neal because everyone likes to eat out and read about restaurants.

Comment

Sounds like that’s a priority. I’m not against that.

Comment

Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                    New Wichita Eagle Editor just moved in June, from California Bay Area says they are going to hire more reporters including additional investigative journalists, and do more local investigative stories.

I don’t know if you can read this article, but it is entitled “You talked we listened. Get ready for a Reimagined Wichita Eagle”
                    New Editor: Riley Gutierrez Mcdermid

https://www.kansas.com/opinion/opn-c...253318478.html
                    Will Riley last one year? I say even money!
                    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

I don’t know anymore than what I read. You maybe do. From the surface, I’m CURRENTLY gratified that the people in charge seem to be willing to spend money on an editor, and other local journalists, when we haven’t seen any local leadership or commitment in the past. We will see their TRUE level of commitment by the deeds they perform in the future.

If you have any other knowledge, please present it. I am at least hopeful at this time but anyone would be foolish to bet anything on it.

Comment

Recent article in the Eagle about county population growth in Kansas is void of any mention of the second most populous county. I realize it’s from an AP reporter out of Topeka, but why include it if there is no local reference when there should be.

Here is a much more relevant article the Eagle could have used (also from the RJ)

The Census Bureau's 2020 redistricting data shows rural Kansas lost population, but metro areas grew and the state is becoming more diverse.

Comment

Originally posted by Veritas View Post
                          Recent article in the Eagle about county population growth in Kansas is void of any mention of the second most populous county. I realize it’s from an AP reporter out of Topeka, but why include it if there is no local reference when there should be.

Here is a much more relevant article the Eagle could have used (also from the RJ)

The Census Bureau's 2020 redistricting data shows rural Kansas lost population, but metro areas grew and the state is becoming more diverse.

Good questions that the new editor should be asked.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Will Riley last one year? I say even money!
                            This managing editor appears to have authored her last bit for the Eagle back in mid-October and has moved on to something called The Street. The Eagle never mentioned her departure, what does the management have to hide? Must be something nefarious, I'm trying to think like a reporter here, an opportunity to dig some dirt and make a hit piece story out of it.
                            Coincidentally, The Eagle quietly announced a new managing editor hire January 4 and made no mention of the previous editor, RGM departure. Must be some dirt.

Kung, you could have made huge bank on that bet!

Comment

Working...
                            X