X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Women's ref rejected at Kansas school

"You can observe a lot just by watching."
    -- Yogi Berra

I read this on Sunday. Sounds like a load of crap to me. I hope the KSHSAA does drop them from list of approved schools.

Comment

This should be an automatic forfeiture each and every game when a woman referee shows up for a game to ref which should be as often as possible.

Comment

I think this is a carry over from the parts of the bible that state that women are not to be leaders of the church, they are to be helpers. Hence, the church looks down on things such a woman being a minister of a congregation, some forbidding it, or even a referee making decisions for a church sanctioned event.

Don't jump on me, it IS in the Bible about them not to be leaders of a church.

Comment

Snap, you are mostly correct.

Here is the passage from 1 Timothy, chapter 2 (NIV):

A woman should learn in quietness and full submission. I do not permit a woman to teach or to have authority over a man; she must be silent. For Adam was formed first, then Eve. And Adam was not the one deceived; it was the woman who was deceived and became a sinner. But women will be saved through childbearing—if they continue in faith, love and holiness with propriety.
          I have only seen this applied to church pastorship, which is how I think most Christian denominations look at it. It is also a disputed topic due to Paul saying "I do not permit" rather than "God does not permit". This is why some churches ordain female pastors and others do not.

Personally, I think the school is ignoring the context (which goes beyond this passage in regards to women teaching) of the verse and mis-applying its meaning.

Comment

I know my church has a female pastor of our church in Greensburg. I do agree that it's been misrepresented throughout history though.

I was glad to see that the other officials refused to work the game as well. There's no way I'd have stayed and done it without her.
            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Here's an update on the Taliban School:

Comment

Originally posted by NCAABound

http://www.kansas.com/sports/updates/story/317021.html
                Is it okay to start calling these people Fundamental Catholic Extremists?

of course im assuming there catholic

Comment

The school should have stated their policy prior to the start of basketball season. Whomever is the athletic governing body is should respect the school's religious beliefs.

As most lessons in life go, it usually takes a circumstance like this before something is done to set policy.
                  "If you're going to do it, you're going to do it right," athletic director Jim Schaus said. "If we're going to put 'Wichita State' across our chest, then every team is going to matter."

Comment

Dude, that is way out of line. Maybe you should spend some time on the Afghanistan-Pakistan border to gain some perspective.

Neither explanation fully explains or adequately justifies (in my own mind) the actions of the school.

Regardless, it is their right.

Comment

It is their right, but I still hope KSHSAA removes them from the list. It won't harm the school much at all but it's what should be done.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone

St. Mary's is a Catholic academy, however, the policy IS NOT a tenet of the Catholic Church at large.

This is an embarrassing and sad policy and I expect is a case of a lone administrator run amok.

They should be banned from KSHAA activities for discriminatory policies. If I were a parent of a student-athlete there, I would initiate an active protest against this outrageous situation.

--'85.
                        Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Originally posted by Shocker85
                          Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone

St. Mary's is a Catholic academy, however, the policy IS NOT a tenet of the Catholic Church at large.

This is an embarrassing and sad policy and I expect is a case of a lone administrator run amok.

They should be banned from KSHAA activities for discriminatory policies. If I were a parent of a student-athlete there, I would initiate an active protest against this outrageous situation.

--'85.
                          I was being silly. In more ways than one.

Comment

Still doesn't change that fact that there are certain requirements that the KSHSAA has that need to be met in order to let a school play against other KSHSAA member schools. And this was a violation of one of those, so they should, and my guess is, will be dropped from the list of approved schools.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock
                              Dude, that is way out of line. Maybe you should spend some time on the Afghanistan-Pakistan border to gain some perspective.

Neither explanation fully explains or adequately justifies (in my own mind) the actions of the school.

Regardless, it is their right.
                              So, our military in Afghanistan is fighting to rid the world of people that treat women like they do (among other reasons)...yet when we have an educational institution that holds the same view, it is their right? They need to be shown that they can have their policies, but they will be isolated from the rest of us normal thinking Americans...and better not receive any public money.

I'm not the PC police. But, if it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck.....

Comment

Working...
                              X