Hesston BB coach

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hesston BB coach

Hesston junior college Men's basketball coach was forced to resign because he did not recruit enough white players. Wow.

Is that really true? WOW!!!
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Comment

Only in kansas.

Comment

I know this is anecdotal but, the Mennonites I've known have been very interested in cross-cultural ministry. One of my Mennonite friends even spent time in some of the poorest areas of India.

That being said, this sounds like an AD that has lost sight of what life is like outside the comfortable confines of her campus.
          "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
          -John Wooden

Comment

Who knows what the true story is.

Regardless, this is hardly just a Kansas thing.

We Kansans can be awfully self-critical in a bad way.

Kansas voted against gay marriage by a margin of 70% or so. Lots and lots of states did they same, including liberal Oregon. Many Kansans thought this indicated Kansas was bigoted, especailly compared to other states. (Remember "Kansas bigoted as you think") That was weak since every state but one approved similar measures.

Also, Kansas was not the only state going through the evolution - intelligent design debate, but you'd never know it by reading the mainstream Kansas press.

Comment

ABC:
              ..Kansas was not the only state going through the evolution - intelligent design debate, but you'd never know it by reading the mainstream Kansas press.

You are so correct. It is currently a major issue in Florida.

One might say Kansas was simply ahead of the curve.

Comment

I like how Lutz said that after talking to all 4 people that were in the room, that 2 didn't remember anything and the other 2 had different stories. Apparently she is from the very much German Mennonite background?

Comment

Originally posted by rrshock
                  I like how Lutz said that after talking to all 4 people that were in the room, that 2 didn't remember anything and the other 2 had different stories. Apparently she is from the very much German Mennonite background?
                  And she wouldn't say what she said. Just that she didn't say what he said she said. It is quite interesting...
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I'm guessing that Swartzendruber is telling the truth, since no one else will say much of anything. They are probably all still trying to figure out how they are gonna fix this problem they created, and are having trouble. To say anything that even could have been twisted (like the AD says) is plain wrong. They may only be a NJCAA D2 school, but you still gotta get players that can win. Who cares if they are catholic, protestant, mennonite, whatever? If they are moral and good students and cause no problems and so happen to win, then why would you say anything?

Where I live is very strongly Mennonite and I usually just agree to disagree with most of their stuff. But I have never heard any of them say things like that. They are more worried about people going to church and living like the church feels they should.

HC has policies and moral pledges and stuff like that, that the players have to sign and follow. If they don't then do something, but leave it alone otherwise.

Comment

There are several "sects" of Mennonites. The two predominant ones are General Conference (GCs) and Mennonite Brethren (MB), with the GC probably the larger of the two.

Being a member of a Mennonite Brethren church I will comment only on the MBs.

I'm not absolutely certain, but I think Hesston College is probably affiliated with the GC church. It's also sometimes referred to as "Old Mennonite". I don't know much about how they differ from the MBs.

I have not yet seen anything among MBs that I would consider racist. Very recently our largest growing membership was in the Congo of Africa (Zaire). And the MBs have a lot of inner-city and ethnic congregations and outreaches in the west and pacific northwest. We even had one in Wichita recently, though I think it fell on hard times (inner-city churches struggle with finances since their congregation often can't afford to give very much). A large section of our monthly publication is devoted to the world missions of MB missionaries. Tabor College in Hillsboro is an MB school.

That said, there are very likely a few people in all denominations (as with any large collective of people) that harbor some feelings of racial discrimination. That doesn't excuse it, of course. If that really is occurring at Hesston College, hopefully their governing body will address and fix it.

Comment

Certainly, minorities are predominately serviced by Mennonite housing in Wichita. I would guess that the situation in Hesston is likely a local issue and not indicative of the view of most Mennonites.

Nevertheless, bad deal.
                        Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

The Mennonites around me are the GC one's and a groupl broke away from them due to they weren't "conservative enough". I haven't seen the racism either, but it could be there. I just wonder if since many of them come from very strong German backgrounds, that something may be linked there.

Nonetheless, racism is inexcusable and hopefully the school takes care of the problem, as that is what it appears to be.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                            Kansas voted against gay marriage by a margin of 70% or so. Lots and lots of states did they same, including liberal Oregon.
                            Having lived in Oregon for several years "back in the day," I am not familiar with this "liberal Oregon" you mention. Outside of Eugene and some parts of the Portland area, Oregon is a very conservative state. Visit John Day or Newport or Grants Pass or Burns or Hood River and tell me about "liberal Oregon".
                            Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                            Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC
                              Also, Kansas was not the only state going through the evolution - intelligent design debate, but you'd never know it by reading the mainstream Kansas press.
                              I was visiting California when the KBOE voted against evolution and it was FAR MORE than the Kansas press that mentioned the story; we got ribbed about the creationists in Kansas for most of our time there (and it was a long visit).

If Kansas was like every other state, then why was this Open Letter To Kansas School Board http://www.venganza.org/about/open-letter/ not repeated for other states? The answer is that Kansas is "special" - in this case, in a bad way. Don't blame the Kansas media for this bad publicity; blame the voters who supported the creationists.
                              Some posts are not visible to me. :peaceful:
                              Don't worry too much about it. Just do all you can do and let the rough end drag.

Comment

Working...
                              X