No announcement yet.

Royals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, Ventura didn't look too bad in his first outing. Loved the way the KC crowd got behind him and gave him a standing O as he left the game. It's a shame that the pen blew it though. Ventura will be in the rotation next year. Kid was still throwing 99 in the 6th and hit 101 in the 2nd or 3rd.

We established that Dwyer pitched very well in the AAA title game as Omaha won 2-1. I'm not sure if Dwyer is a starter long term or not, but this year may have given him another chance at remaining a starter as he seemed to figure a few things out. If it doesn't work out, he could be a hell of an asset in the pen at some point.

Idaho Falls also won their first Pioneer league title as a KC affiliate 6-0. Jake Junis pitched well in the win.

Paulino thinks shoulder surgery to remove a cyst should end his pitching problems and will be ready to go in the spring. I don't think we'll have too many issues with the rotation next year. Shields and Guthrie return. Ventura, Duffy and Paulino will be in the mix. That there would be a pretty strong 5 assuming Paulino and Duffy are good to go. I think Duffy will be fine as he gets his feel back. I'm hopeful for Paulino. I don't see any other current guys in the mix. They may give Davis a shot, but I hope not. Hochevar has been solid in the pen and they may give it a go again, but I hope not. Will he still be under contract? I haven't looked into that. I don't think anyone else in AA or AAA is quite ready. Zimmer could get called up at some point next season depending on how things go. I think most of the other top pitching prospects are another year or three away which is fine as we only have Shields for one more year.

I am curious about Hunter Dozier though. He absolutely raked this summer and I'd expect him to get a shot at starting in AA next year. But I suppose he could spend a little time in Wilmington first. Curious to see if he can keep hitting the ball like he has. Another potential power bat for the future.

I hope the Getz days can be put behind us as well as those of Yost. Colon will get a shot at 2nd, but I'm not against Emilio being considered there either. He had a rough night last night, but he's been pretty solid. As long as he continues to hit.

Now that the minor league season is over, I may go and find some stats on the top prospects and a few others at some point in the near future.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      So, Ventura didn't look too bad in his first outing. Loved the way the KC crowd got behind him and gave him a standing O as he left the game. It's a shame that the pen blew it though. Ventura will be in the rotation next year. Kid was still throwing 99 in the 6th and hit 101 in the 2nd or 3rd.
      Ventura's outing was impressive. I saw where Bruce Chen said that the veteran pitchers sat down with him when he got to KC to discuss his transgressions that kept him out of his start in the PCL playoffs. Everyone claims it is resolved - let's just hope it isn't a character flaw the Royals have to continue to deal with.

I was really down after last night's blown game. I just have a feeling in my gut that letting that game get away signals the turning point in the wrong way for the end of this season. Wasted start by Ventura, wasted lead, etc. Herrera is a real enigma. He can be so good, but then he blows one like last night.

It was only one game, but it was important to pull the Indians back and keep the Orioles at bay. There's still time, but they can't let opportunities slip away.

--'85.
      Basketball Season Tix since '77-78 . . . . . . Baseball Season Tix since '88

Comment

Ventura had a pitch officially clocked at 101.9 last night. It was the fastest pitch thrown my a major league starter in the past five seasons.

As for our rotation next year, I have a gut feeling we may see either Santana or Chen back. Obviously, Santana would be better, but the cost will be high. I'm having my doubts about Paulino. Not just him returning to the sub-4 ERA guy we saw in KC, but because I don't think he's signed for next year anyway (I could be wrong, though). I could also see Ventura starting in Omaha again, then getting a May call-up.

I think Moore could sign an underrated starter who's stuff would play up in KC, with our defense and spacious confines.

I'm now of the opinion that we need two power-hitters. A right-fielder and DH. Of the four full-time DH's in the league (according to ESPN's positional stats), Butler's SLG is tied for last with Victor Martinez:

.559 Ortiz
        .457 Morales
        .414 Martinez
        .414 Butler

Butler's SLG is fourth on his own team:

.448 Hosmer
        .433 Gordon
        .428 Perez
        .414 Butler

He's tied for 2nd in RBIs:

80 Gordon
        77 Hosmer
        77 Butler
        71 Perez

When looking at plate appearances, Butler isn't far behind Gordon and Hosmer. But Perez's 71 have come in 139 fewer PAs than Billy.

Butler is third in homeruns (14), behind Gordon (20) and Hosmer (16). And that's an area KC sorely needs a boost in.

A full-time DH ought to be one of the top two hitters on his team, IMO, unless you're Detroit. For $8mil I would expect more from a DH. If Moore can get value in a trade and figure out a way to improve production from that position for roughly equal money, he should jump on it.

Comment

That's the only time anyone can recall Ventura having any sort of issues. I don't think it's a problem. He was a pretty cool customer on the hill last night. Next year still looks pretty good if we can find a manager.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
            Ventura had a pitch officially clocked at 101.9 last night. It was the fastest pitch thrown my a major league starter in the past five seasons.

As for our rotation next year, I have a gut feeling we may see either Santana or Chen back. Obviously, Santana would be better, but the cost will be high. I'm having my doubts about Paulino. Not just him returning to the sub-4 ERA guy we saw in KC, but because I don't think he's signed for next year anyway (I could be wrong, though). I could also see Ventura starting in Omaha again, then getting a May call-up.

I think Moore could sign an underrated starter who's stuff would play up in KC, with our defense and spacious confines.

I'm now of the opinion that we need two power-hitters. A right-fielder and DH. Of the four full-time DH's in the league (according to ESPN's positional stats), Butler's SLG is tied for last with Victor Martinez:

.559 Ortiz
            .457 Morales
            .414 Martinez
            .414 Butler

Butler's SLG is fourth on his own team:

.448 Hosmer
            .433 Gordon
            .428 Perez
            .414 Butler

He's tied for 2nd in RBIs:

80 Gordon
            77 Hosmer
            77 Butler
            71 Perez

When looking at plate appearances, Butler isn't far behind Gordon and Hosmer. But Perez's 71 have come in 139 fewer PAs than Billy.

Butler is third in homeruns (14), behind Gordon (20) and Hosmer (16). And that's an area KC sorely needs a boost in.

A full-time DH ought to be one of the top two hitters on his team, IMO, unless you're Detroit. For $8mil I would expect more from a DH. If Moore can get value in a trade and figure out a way to improve production from that position for roughly equal money, he should jump on it.
            This has been a down year for Billy all around, but I'm not sure I'd be in a hurry to get rid of him. In previous years, I believe he's ranked much higher in those same categories.

If Chen comes back, it won't be as a starter. Therefore, I see no reason to have Chen back. Love the guy, but the pen is solid without him. Even if Paulino doesn't return, I think we can find a serviceable starter until someone like Zimmer may be ready to go.

The lack of power has been frustrating. They looked much better last year and you'd think with Hos, Gordo, Butler, Moose and Salvy we'd be alright. I'd think all of those guys should hit over 20. I am starting to be a little concerned about Moose though. If he doesn't do something next year, he could be leaving to make space for Dozier.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Butler has been better in previous years. It's my opinion - and one that's highly debatable - that even if he rebounds a little next year, it won't be much. I think he'll be in KC next year because I'm not sure Moore can pull off what I suggested in my previous post. So it's probably a moot point anyway.

Still, we can't expect our pitching to be as good next year, meaning the offense needs a major boost. Even with the addition of a power bat, KC can't afford a down year from Gordon, Hosmer, Butler or Perez. I do think they could carry a slightly improved Moose (if still underwhelming) and this year's version of Cain, as long as they get that extra bat for RF or 2B.

A real wildcard next year is Escobar. If he can just get his OBP somewhere in the vicinity of .300 from the 9-hole, I could see the top of the order (where our top RBI guy this season already hits) plating quite a few more runs. His OBP is .261. It was .290 two seasons ago and .331 last year. A return to .290 isn't unreasonable.

Comment

If KC doesn't lose a 3-0 lead yesterday they would be only .5 games back.
                The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Why do you guys torture yourselves?
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                    Why do you guys torture yourselves?
                    Why do you both even posting here, SF? I'm not even a big Royals fan, but I can understand "real fans" wanting to support and follow their team, through thick and thin. KC is having a great season, IMO. With about 10 games left in the season, they're still competitive, they've managed to compile one of their best records in around 20 years, and are just a few games from having the 3rd best record in the league and being in the playoffs. H*ll, they're just as good as those d*mn Yankees so far.

Comment

If all that you say is true ST, then why do so many Royals fans want Ned Yost's head? Real fans alright.

We know how this is going to end. People know I mean well. I'm just trying to warn them. Did I say they need to stop posting? Noooooo.

For not being a big Royal fan yourself, why are you here? I'm glad I was able to draw you out though.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Why do they want Ned's head? That's been discussed in this thread already. KC would be in the Wild Card already if he weren't constantly getting us Yosted.

Did you also have the same thoughts about Shocker fans in the 90s? Why did they still bother to support the team and stick with them when there was no chance in hell of anything good coming from it?

KC still has an outside chance of seeing post season this year despite having Yost trying his hardest to screw it up. And next year could be even better than this year in the product on the field. So why do you feel the need to jump in now? You've been saying the same thing every year for the past few years on here and we've told you the same thing over and over. If you don't get it, you're too dense to ever do so.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

It would be comparable to the Shocker team with Mo Evans and Jason Perez, with Smithson coaching. After hearing all the debacles with Smithson, imagine having a coach that would have been better. That team had quite a bit of talent on it, and should have done much better than it did. That's the equivalent of a Yost led Royals team. They have talent, young talent, and they just need a manager who won't over-manage a game, and end up losing it. There have been countless posts on here citing Ned's ineptitude throughout the season. I don't post here often about KC, but I'm a loyal Royal, and have cheered them on my whole life. This season is the first season in 20 years where they even have a chance to go to the post season. So I'm happy with the season so far, hopeful that luck can be on our side and teams in the WC race lose, and we win.
                          ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                            If all that you say is true ST, then why do so many Royals fans want Ned Yost's head? Real fans alright.

We know how this is going to end. People know I mean well. I'm just trying to warn them. Did I say they need to stop posting? Noooooo.

For not being a big Royal fan yourself, why are you here? I'm glad I was able to draw you out though.
                            I'd much prefer to talk about the Cardinals, my team since I was a young kid in the '50s. Tried to get some interest here last year, got a few nibbles, but have my connections for St. Louis baseball elsewhere.

I'll participate in most any MLB team discussion, even your Yanks. Heck, they have a payroll on the DL almost the total of the Royals payroll and still have 3 times the payroll on the active roster. And their record? Same as the Royals.

Warn these guys about the Royals? I'm sure they all thought KC was dead in the water when they drop to .500 in late August. However, they've shown some good fight going 16-8 since, so I'm sure KC fans are grateful they're even still talking about making the playoffs.

Comment

Coaching and winning professional sports is a fickle business. Nobody can put their finger on the exact recipe to win all the time. There are so many variables that affect winning and losing and the difference between wins and losses is so fine.

The Royals have won games they shouldn't have won and lost games they shouldn't have lost. Yost should receive some of the credit for both. Going into next year, I'm not sure Yost's personality is the best for the team. Maybe a change would help them improve even more. But this year has been a very good year. They have made a lot of improvement, and they aren't out of the race yet (even though they don't have any room for error).

Comment

This was fun last night

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X