This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
    I don't like this. The reason that in state tuition is supposed to be lower is because in state taxes help to fund it.
    Can you post a link with details talking about taxes funding it?
    Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by WuShock16 View Post
      I thought it would be the entire states of Oklahoma and Texas affected by this, not just the OKC/Tulsa/DFW.

EDIT: Different program. Never mind.
      You're probably thinking of the Midwest Student Exchange Program which allows for students from outside of Kansas, but in the MSEP footprint, to attend WSU at rates equivalent to 150% in-state cost (with some limitations and qualifications). The states of Texas and Oklahoma are not members of the MSEP, so this new program is a totally different angle for student recruitment.

You already know this, it appears, I'm just adding it to the context of this thread.

My wife came out-of-state to WSU under the MSEP, not that anyone asked.

Changing gears, I believe the University of Arkansas has implemented a similar program as the new WSU OKC/Tulsa initiative (but different footprint, obviously), to much success and growth. I'm too lazy to look up articles on it though.

EDIT: Here's info on the University of Arkansas' program, from an article a couple of years ago:

Preliminary numbers say the Fayetteville campus will have 25,000 students this fall. A breakdown on those numbers as to state or origin isn't available yet.

But I found interesting a review of the 10-year span between 2002 and 2012.

Total enrollment grew from 15,995 to 24,537, about a 53 percent increase.

Total enrollment of Arkansas students grew from 12,537 to 14,774, an increase of 18 percent.

Then I looked at the increase in enrollment from states that border Arkansas, plus Kansas, whose students enjoy much lower tuition/fee costs than other non-residents, though not quite as low as residents. This year, for example, total tuition and fees for residents is listed at $6,354 versus $19,074 for non-residents. But students from Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Mississippi and Louisiana qualify for "New Arkansan" rates, the sum of resident charges plus up to $2,200 more. It's still a heckuva deal and numbers indicate it's productive in competition for students.

Out-of-staters who get the tuition break increased from 1,877 in 2002 to 6,368 in 2012, a 340 percent increase.
      Last edited by SHOCKvalue; November 4, 2015, 10:07 AM.

Comment

• I was actually thinking of the recently-announced Shocker Select program, which gives a discount to Texas and Oklahoma students.

The Kansas Board of Regents has approved a program called Shocker Select, which gives eligible students from Oklahoma and Texas a 33 percent discount off nonresident tuition to attend Wichita State University.
        78-65

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
          Can you post a link with details talking about taxes funding it?
          http://www.kansas.com/news/article1137564.html

Here's an article that details Kansas state taxes funding programs at WSU. To my knowledge, taxes don't directly offset the cost of tuition to in state students, but I always considered it a fringe benefit. Perhaps I'm in the minority on that.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            Even though it was MSNBC, I'm a little surprised today's coverage didn't get more run here.

Interview with Chuck, Mika and Joe sporting sweet WSU apparel, Dr. Bardo discussing the Innovation Campus. Money can't buy that kind of coverage, even on MSNBC.

Oh yeah, asked Gregg about returning to the Final Four.
            Joe is the only person I can stand on MSNBC. A level-head, republican mind you, person on the most liberal news station out there.
            The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
              Joe is the only person I can stand on MSNBC. A level-head, republican mind you, person on the most liberal news station out there.
              I enjoy Joe also; actually watched all 3 hours of the program and didn't think the program was slanted either direction. Thank God Rachelle Madcow didn't make a guest appearance. Wichita State and the Koch Brothers shined brightly.
              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• WSU is home to one of the best theater programs in the country

This may not be a surprise to those who know about WSU's program, but for those of you who don't, WSU is home to one of the best theatre programs in the country.

Located in the biggest city in Kansas, WSU's theatre program features degrees in theatre, musical theatre and dance.

The Alumni Committee of the School also proudly sponsors a "Spotlight Series" of distinguished graduates who return to campus and share their professional interests and expertise. Lectures, master classes, workshops, and seminars by other distinguished professionals in the field are held each year as part of the educational experience. Recent guest artists have included casting director Stephen Kopel (Roundabout Theatre Company), Andrew Lippa and Taye Diggs.

When it comes to affordability, The School of Performing Arts offers more than $80,000 annually in undergraduate scholarships to new and continuing students. With all of this and more, WSU is producing some of the best talent to come out of this region.

http://www.onstageblog.com/columns/2...id-west-part-3
                ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Wichita State University Strategic Goals

University (Building Function), Strategy (Quotation Subject), Wichita (City/Town/Village), College, Wichita State University (College/University), innovation

Comment

• Wichita State sees an increase in patent requests.

http://kmuw.org/post/wsu-sees-rise-i...-ventures-push

Last edited by Shocker-maniac; December 11, 2015, 06:21 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                      Wichita State sees an increase in patent requests.

http://www.kansas.com/news/business/...e49252180.html
                      Is one of the patent requests perhaps from @Tyrone Shoelace:? I'm pretty sure he already patented the crossover dribble, but after watching Fred last game, he may be checking to see if he's still got the rights to it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                        Is one of the patent requests perhaps from @Tyrone Shoelace? I'm pretty sure he already patented the crossover dribble, but after watching Fred last game, he may be checking to see if he's still got the rights to it.
                        He should get a royalty at least. That was NASTY!
                        Go Shocks!

Comment

• Developers plan $1M renovation to apartment complex near WSU

http://www.bizjournals.com/wichita/b...apartment.html

The developers plan to do more projects along 17th street near WSU.
                          Last edited by Shocker-maniac; December 21, 2015, 10:35 PM.

Comment

• Wichita State Innovation campus aims to unite university and community

Wichita State University is creating an Innovation Campus focused on technology, business and community. After being welcomed to Wichita State in 2012,

Comment

• Study finds WSU has the demand for more student housing.

Comment

• "If you build it, they will come."
                                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Working...
                                X