Clear All

• Pretty sweet

Comment

• Wichita State reports…

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Nice article. Thanks for sharing

Comment

• I'd still love to see more Tech business in Wichita, startup or otherwise. They're good jobs with huge potential moving into the future and can bring a different feel to things. Wichita has long been seen as a manufacturing town, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that, but having a different set of white collar avenues can at least shift some of the perception of Wichita and in itself make it a more attractive destination for startup and expansion. I do think Wichita State does, can and will play a big part in that endeavor as we move forward. Wichita and surrounding communities can really benefit from the potential of expanded Tech based business.
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
            I'd still love to see more Tech business in Wichita, startup or otherwise. They're good jobs with huge potential moving into the future and can bring a different feel to things. Wichita has long been seen as a manufacturing town, and there's nothing inherently wrong with that, but having a different set of white collar avenues can at least shift some of the perception of Wichita and in itself make it a more attractive destination for startup and expansion. I do think Wichita State does, can and will play a big part in that endeavor as we move forward. Wichita and surrounding communities can really benefit from the potential of expanded Tech based business.
            Nothing wrong with Tech business. But perhaps we would be better off manufacturing the stuff the Techies invent. Here is a different perspecitive.

Reverse Globalism: We Must Re-in-Source and Rethink Everything

https://redstate.com/setonmotley/202...ything-n439095

Perhaps the dumbest of the dumbness was the mass-expulsion of our manufacturing sector. We were able to save the planet from World War II by ramping up our production of…just about everything. Almost immediately thereafter, we began exporting that manufacturing might.

Seventy years later, we make almost nothing. And our economy is a fragile edifice built upon a knife’s edge.
            Perhaps he secret if finding the right balance and the more diverse the better.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

Nothing wrong with Tech business. But perhaps we would be better off manufacturing the stuff the Techies invent. Here is a different perspecitive.

Reverse Globalism: We Must Re-in-Source and Rethink Everything

https://redstate.com/setonmotley/202...ything-n439095

Perhaps he secret if finding the right balance and the more diverse the better.
              There’s this little thing called unions….

Comment

• We can make more stuff, if people are willing to pay more for said stuff.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                  We can make more stuff, if people are willing to pay more for said stuff.
                  ... and people want to work to make more stuff...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

There’s this little thing called unions….
                    So we should just cede all manufacturing capabilities to countries that don't like us to spite the unions?

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

So we should just cede all manufacturing capabilities to countries that don't like us to spite the unions?
                      No, unions will not make it affordable to manufacture everything in house. Unfortunately that ship has sailed unless we want to colonize a few third world countries.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                        We can make more stuff, if people are willing to pay more for said stuff.
                        And they won’t….at least most things.

Comment

• I know nothing about this case (is the student guilty of sexual assault or is someone unjustly accusing him/her of it, do these protesters know anything about the case or not), but at face value, Wichita State and the media (school newspaper, and Wichita Eagle) do a good job of educating them on their rights to protest, but they don't teach them anything about the justice system, that the accused are to be proved guilty, and that those rights are for everybody. I often think that the justice system is now tilted toward the guilty, and that with cashless bail, criminals walk out on the street with impunity, and adjustments can be made to the system. However, these students need to be taught by the school, and media that the alternative JUSTICE SYSTEM may be Venezuela, Cuba, Russia, Saudi Arabia, or China, just to name a few, and give them some stories from those countries to compare our system to.

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/ed...mainstage_lead

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
                            I know nothing about this case (is the student guilty of sexual assault or is someone unjustly accusing him/her of it), but at face value, Wichita State and the media (school newspaper, and Wichita Eagle) do a good job of educating them on their rights to protest, but they don't teach them anything about the justice system, that the accused are to be proved guilty, and that those rights are for everybody. I often think that the justice system is now tilted toward the guilty, and that with cashless bail, criminals walk out on the street with impunity, and adjustments can be made to the system. However, these students need to be taught by the school, and media that the alternative JUSTICE SYSTEM may be Venezuela, Cuba, Russia, Saudi Arabia, or China, just to name a few, and give them some stories from those countries to compare our system to.

https://www.kansas.com/news/local/ed...mainstage_lead
                            Mostly agree -- but college students don't think (and really have never thought) like adults. The vast majority don't give a crap about the need for due process and the finer points of the law. They want "X" -- in this case some nebulous, half-formed concept of "justice" independent of the facts of the case (which they cannot possibly know since the investigation is ongoing) -- and they feel strongly that should have it right the eff now.

While this was true in the past, the difference now is that social media platforms are there to both amplify and distort messaging. For this generation, it has created a culture of public posturing as a necessary social activity which I feel leads to incremental extremism on both sides of the political spectrum. If you regularly do searches for "Wichita State" on social as I do, you could see that pressure building up through the week, leading to the weird release of energy against the police.

I'm not sure what else WSU could've done here. Support the right to march. Stand firm on the legal process and the notification policies, because it's the right thing to do. But, speaking of lessons, recent history teaches that you're not going to enlighten angry, misinformed minds.
                            “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• Originally posted by Wuzee View Post

Mostly agree -- but college students don't think (and really have never thought) like adults. The vast majority don't give a crap about the need for due process and the finer points of the law. They want "X" -- in this case some nebulous, half-formed concept of "justice" independent of the facts of the case (which they cannot possibly know since the investigation is ongoing) -- and they feel strongly that should have it right the eff now.

While this was true in the past, the difference now is that social media platforms are there to both amplify and distort messaging. For this generation, it has created a culture of public posturing as a necessary social activity which I feel leads to incremental extremism on both sides of the political spectrum. If you regularly do searches for "Wichita State" on social as I do, you could see that pressure building up through the week, leading to the weird release of energy against the police.

I'm not sure what else WSU could've done here. Support the right to march. Stand firm on the legal process and the notification policies, because it's the right thing to do. But, speaking of lessons, recent history teaches that you're not going to enlighten angry, misinformed minds.
                              As for your last question regarding the Education Institution Wichita State, The WSU employee should have emphasized the Constitution (he mentioned right to protest), and added the importance of the rights of the accused. If he did say that, and the Wichita Eagle left it out, they are the problem, and the WSU Sunflower Student Reporter, Editor, and Advisor.

Dion Lefler didn’t mention it in the Eagle either, and he’s supposed to be an Award Winning Journalist, but he didn’t present all sides (which isn’t his first time to only present one side). Either he doesn’t know what’s in the Constitution or he ignores part of the story which is that the Accused has rights too.
                              Last edited by Shockm; September 18, 2021, 02:07 PM.

Comment

• Just remember: there was about 150 students out of a possible 15,000 that protested.

Comment

Working...
                                X