Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here's a big one in San Diego at Liberty Station (commercial / retail development on the old Navy boot camp barracks). It is fantastic and is one of my favorite spots to go. So much variety of food and beverage and great open space for the kids and such. Live entertainment too (back when that was a thing).

Welcome to Liberty Public Market, the West Coast’s newest vibrant 7-day-a-week marketplace featuring more than two dozen artisans, their culinary creations, organic produce, handcrafted goods, plus fine wines and local beer.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
      I read the original article and was a little confused. The developers said restauranteurs in the area were having difficulty grasping the concept being used in other areas of the country. But when I read their description, it just sounds like a mall food court for upstarts. Am I missing something?
      Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
      That seems to be a fitting description. Maybe a higher end or adult food court, but still. The general concept is interesting, but I think would work better with more food options. Unless I've misunderstood, there's the tap house and two eateries with a communal dining area?

I do see where if there were more options for dining that it could be an even better endeavor, especially if meeting up with people to watch a sporting event or something. Could have a wide variety of food so not everyone would have to agree and whatnot. Maybe there isn't the space to do it on campus and maybe Wichita isn't ready for the concept on a grander scale. But I would think a place similar to this but with more space and another 5+ dining options could be pretty cool.

The article that is on kansas.com is more about the owners opening three locations, with the first one being the WSU one, and I think they're opening places on the east side and west side of town. The second article is just about the WSU location. I just copied the WSU parts from the kansas.com one into my original post. The other two locations will have more food choices if I remember right - the WSU one just has the beer place and the two eating places. The article mentioned the concept happening in places like Tulsa already - I can't remember if it was the one BAShocker mentioned or another one in Tulsa. The whole concept kind of reminded me of a food court situation as well, or even kind of like the outdoor area with a bunch of food trucks sort of concept.

Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

The article that is on kansas.com is more about the owners opening three locations, with the first one being the WSU one, and I think they're opening places on the east side and west side of town. The second article is just about the WSU location. I just copied the WSU parts from the kansas.com one into my original post. The other two locations will have more food choices if I remember right - the WSU one just has the beer place and the two eating places. The article mentioned the concept happening in places like Tulsa already - I can't remember if it was the one BAShocker mentioned or another one in Tulsa. The whole concept kind of reminded me of a food court situation as well, or even kind of like the outdoor area with a bunch of food trucks sort of concept.
        The Braeburn Square version is really just a craft-beer take on a German Braustübl. It's a beer hall with food stalls doing business independently on the periphery of a communal seating area. It's gonna be great. The reason people are confused about it is because the owners are so desperately trying to push this "virtual kitchen" idea. To the extent that the term is relevant at all it's just jargon for the restaurateurs and doesn't have a single thing to do with the patrons' experience. No beer? Food court. Stop trying to make "virtual kitchen" a thing.
        “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I don't know if SN readers subscribe to the free monthly newsletter from WSU but it has really good updates from our University. Wichita State University<strategic.comm@wichita.edu> Anyway according to an article in this months newsletter (April) it notes that US News and World Report rankings of universities offering a PHD in Engineering, College of Engineering at WSU again is ranked in the top 100 Engineering graduate programs. It also notes it is the only University in the state of Kansas to do so. This years rank is #77 up from last year of #94. Go Shocks

Comment

• Anyone know what happened to the plan to tear down Cessna Stadium? I remember they received permission to tear it down about a year ago..

Comment

• Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                Anyone know what happened to the plan to tear down Cessna Stadium? I remember they received permission to tear it down about a year ago..
                No money...

”No Money, No Honey.”
                "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

No money...

”No Money, No Honey.”
                  I wonder if the lack of space between it and Koch Arena makes it difficult to tear down also? The city of Houston ran into a similar issue with the Astro Dome and the Texans new stadium

Comment

• Taking down Cessna is made more difficult with the proximity to Koch arena and the new Track and student athlete center. The Astro dome would be a piece of cake to implode. When the Marines sent me to Combat Engineer school the part of the curriculum with explosivs and shaped charges was the most fun. Here is a Sheldon fun fact...when using explosives in the Marine Corps you need to prepare an engineer estimate on the amount needed based on what you are removing, and then you add another 10% just to make sure. Our final in this phase was to blow up a pier that extended into an inlet in NC. The local news outlet found out and wanted to film its destruction. The Commanding General found out as well and issued the following instructions to us, "At the conclusiobn of said training exercise I want no part of the pier to remain standing as this would be embarrassing for ALL involved" We went back over our engineers extimate and came up with the same amount needed to take the pier out. We added our 10% and then doubled the final figure. Needless to say the pier literally dissolved before us and the news crew. Fun day!

Comment

• No need to tear it down until ready to build its replacement.

Comment

• Met a guy for a meeting at Fairmount Coffee, across 17th St. from campus. What a great spot for students, community, etc! They did a really nice job on the renovation. From what I hear, it's rivaling Starbucks business on the north side of campus. 17th St. is making great progress in terms of development. Loads of new student housing.

Comment

• Drove by this afternoon and the new School of Business is really coming together. Lots of steel in the air.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                            No need to tear it down until ready to build its replacement.
                            I do hope the replacement is built to positively reflect the school and T/F. Assume 12-15k seating? Partially covered? Lower profile with a half bowl ?

As far as the demo, it appears the steel structure built in ‘69 would not be that difficult to dismantle. The concrete seating built in ‘46 might be more challenging.

Do area high schools still play at Cessna?

It was always a terribly ugly stadium IMO. I’ll be glad to see it replaced. The old Patriots /Foxboro stadium was pretty bad too. In the concourse at the concessions, the rain would drop and leak from the seating above your head.
                            Last edited by Veritas; June 14, 2021, 05:42 PM.

Comment

• I think a dedicated T&F facility is the right answer.

Model it off the new Hayward Field.
                              The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                                I think a dedicated T&F facility is the right answer.

Model it off the new Hayward Field.
                                When they are done with that, find a spot on campus for a smaller dedicated facility for volleyball and women’s basketball.
                                The Assman

Comment

Working...
                                X