• Show
Clear All

• Some good stuff here...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• RIP Dr. Bardo

Comment

• What do you want to see in the next WSU president?

Qualtrics sophisticated online survey software solutions make creating online surveys easy. Learn more about Research Suite and get a free account today.

Comment

• Still can’t help to believe that WSU will take over the fledgling Medical school in downtown Wichita.

Here's link for a 2 year old article from KC.

Next up.... Dental school?

Comment

• I have always wondered about why not a medical school or a law school and of course a dental school. I asked that question of someone in a position to know and he said that dental schools are low in terms of Return on Investment. I never thought of disciplines being advanced in those terms but i guess that makes a lot of sense.

Comment

• I hope the med school is a success. This doesn’t make KU happy. However, the state of Kansas ranks 40th with physicians per capita. Clearly, KU med school has not done a good job in meeting demand.

Comment

• vbird53
                vbird53 commented
                Editing a comment
                As I put in another post about downtown, KU has had 30+ years to make a more significant investment in the Wichita program, and have chosen to instead invest hundreds of millions in Lawrence and KC. Now that a private entity arrives (in the coming years), they choose to throw a tantrum. I'm glad the City is working with this group to bring not only the med school, but several other amenities.

• Editorial in the Eagle today railing against a closed process in selecting our next president. Some good points but I think that it increases the pool of candidates to interview. At some point after the list is winnowed down that list of finalists will be published I’m sure. That would seem to be a more important time to be more transparent.

Comment

• abdullah_sharif
                abdullah_sharif commented
                Editing a comment
                i agree pogo.. i don't see a need necessarily to publish the names now... but instead of looking like some secretive bastards, it would probably be best that they lay out their roadmap for selecting a president - that way johnny q public doesn't feel as if the process is secretive. with that said, they had better be very open once the candidate pool is down to less than five. gotta say, i haven't been too pleased with the activities going on at 1845 over the past few years including some of the back-room deals mentioned in the article.

i've become very concerned about those in legislative power and law enforcement showing the public what we want to see as opposed to being fully transparent. throw in how polarized our political system is and the herd mentality of social media, it's no wonder that local law enforcement is picking up tanks and armored vehicles to go with the new high powered guns. we are nearing a turning point that i'm confident that our founding fathers would be appalled of.

• Just so we’re all clear: WSU has nothing to do with how the process is run. KBOR is making the hire, so they call the tune — and for all presidential searches for years now, that’s been a closed process because KBOR wants it that way. It’s fine if you’re concerned, but make sure you don’t lay that on WSU or conflate that with past development “at 1845” — even though the Eagle editorial would like you to do just that.
              “The rebellion on the populist right against the results of the 2020 election was partly a cynical, knowing effort by political operators and their hype men in the media to steal an election or at least get rich trying. But it was also the tragic consequence of the informational malnourishment so badly afflicting the nation. ... Americans gorge themselves daily on empty informational calories, indulging their sugar fixes of self-affirming half-truths and even outright lies.'

― Chris Stirewalt

Comment

• ShockTalk
                ShockTalk commented
                Editing a comment
                Found it interesting that the editorial was written by the "The Wichita Eagle Editorial Board" (names not listed).

• Appreciate the clarification wuzee.. i stand by my comments with the exception of dr bardo’s replacement hire.

Comment

• The public always gets a chance to weigh in on decisions. It begins at the voting booth. Those that we elect then have the power to make appointments for these purposes. Voting rates under 30% of those registered will certainly equate to elected officials that serve the percentage that elected them. Call this the true "trickle down effect".

These appointments to the Board of Regents, hopefully well vetted and with experience in selecting candidates, along with a search committee, should be able to narrow the field, while also casting a wider net by having conversations out of public view. Compare this process with that of hiring a new baseball or basketball coach... How would that work out if those conversations were public?

Comment

• If one reads the book by Craig Miner, there is an extraordinary pride felt for how far WSU has come and an extraordinary amount of justified concern over the influence of the other two D1 universities in the state with controlling WSU. Especially the University of Kansas. Thus, I have extreme interest over who is picked to take over for the inimitable John Bardo and natural concern with the BoR involvement over something so important. They did pick JB though, so perhaps the seed that was planted is taking root.

Comment

• WstateU
                    WstateU commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’ll sleep easier knowing Steve Clark and many other prominent/affluent alums are involved in the process.

• vbird53
                    vbird53 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Don't ask me why, but I read the most recent minutes of the Kansas Board of Regents. KU's capital request over the next five years is $380,000,000. WSU's request is only $80,000,000. Much of this is privately financed for both schools, but wow.

• Student-Athlete Success Center Groundbreaking Scheduled for June 18

Wichita State will host a groundbreaking ceremony for the new Student-Athlete Success Center at 2 p.m. on Tue., June 18. The ceremony will take place on the lawn just southeast of Charles Koch Arena and the public is invited to attend.

The project has two main components. The largest is the construction of the Student-Athlete Success Center, a 36,000-square-foot facility devoted to the academic and athletic development of Wichita State student-athletes. The two-level building, to be located just south of Charles Koch Arena, will feature a 2,500-square-foot study hall, tutoring rooms and a larger computer center. WSU's track and cross country programs will have a dedicated space in the facility.

A smaller component of the project is the renovation of administrative offices inside Charles Koch Arena to create more space for the men's basketball, women's basketball and volleyball programs.

Project mobilization is already underway with construction scheduled to begin in late June. The project is expected to be substantially complete in July 2020.

The project is funded by private donations through the generosity of WSU supporters who contributed to a fundraising campaign led by the WSU Foundation and WSU Athletics. Naming opportunities on a special recognition wall inside Charles Koch Arena are still available.

Glad to see the Shocker Track & Field program are getting some badly needed space considering they have produced 2 of the 3 Shocker Championships in the Shockers 1st two years in the AAC.

I'm sure the extra administrative space for men's and women's basketball and volleyball will certainly be appreciated by those programs as well.

Hopefully, they will have an open house for the facility once it is completed.

Comment

• SASO and I believe the media relations will move into the vacated area that is now the Students Academic Center

Comment

• Not "massive growth" related, but pretty cool nonetheless...

Discover 100 collaborative articles on domains such as Marketing, Public Administration, and Healthcare. Our expertly curated collection combines AI-generated content with insights and advice from industry experts, providing you with unique perspectives and up-to-date information on many skills and their applications.

Comment

• And here we go! With the soil still fresh over The GREAT Bardo's grave site.

T

...:cool:

Comment

• Shocker1976
                          Shocker1976 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          A retired Anthropology Professor demonstrating what has gone wrong with higher education in America. She defends her academic specialty with spurious and incorrect statements as though they are well known and accepted statements of fact. Her concluding statement is laughable -

"If Kansas and every other state in poor little America needs money, let us reduce expenditures on more buildings and technical equipment instead of on the central purpose of a university: learning unfettered by commercial goals. Without that, there is no university.

• 1972Shocker
                          1972Shocker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Learning unfettered by commercial goals. But supressing free speech and advancing policitcal agendas is encouraged and rewarded.
                          Last edited by 1972Shocker; June 27, 2019, 07:36 AM.

• Dark Lord
                          Dark Lord commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yes, because teaching in run down buildings that are falling apart and do not have up to date learning materials and devices will attract the type of student a college needs to not only survive, but to enhance the town it is located in.

Nobody should take a retired anthropology teacher seriously when it comes to such matters.
                      Working...
                      X