Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I know KU is against this, but does anyone else besides me see possible WSU influence and interest in seeing this development take shape and then taking it over?

What is WSU’s take on this?

Comment

• i'm not much of a fan of mrs tokala (could tell lots of stories).. but i hope that she can make it a go and be successful.

Comment

• People in medicine are easy fodder as “real estate investors”, and outcomes are often quite poor because - shockingly - there’s not a lot of overlap between medicine and real estate development and construction.

I’d be surprised if anything at all came to fruition out of her plans. She’s been sitting on those for some time now, and doesn’t seem to be attracting anyone to work with her.

Comment

• abdullah_sharif
          abdullah_sharif commented
          Editing a comment
          i wouldnt work with her if you gave me the money.. its amazing that docs (her husband is a doc - and a good one, shes a pharmacist by trade/education) have the time to see patients with all the real estate deals theyve been into. having been in that world, its definitely droven by ego.

• WstateU
          WstateU commented
          Editing a comment
          Doctors can be some of the worst money managers and decision makers... believe me, I know. :)

• The referendum that was to provide funding for the new business school building and other improvements was narrowly defeated.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
          The referendum that was to provide funding for the new business school building and other improvements was narrowly defeated.
          The Wichita CAVE-rs had kids and grandkids, and today they make up a good portion of the WSU student body, unfortunately.

Comment

• Yep. This was the best option. Now the business school students will vote on a huge increase in their fees (which they will surely vote down), or the donations get returned and the project doesn't happen. That's my understanding, based on how my son (a current business student) explained it to me.

Comment

• Disappointing an extra hundred bucks a year might cause the new school to fall by the wayside. Short-sided decision in my mind. People don't seem to get that nice new and improved stuff doesn't come free.
              The Assman

Comment

• While I agree voting it down is short-sighted, I also realize tuition and fees are astronomically higher than what I had in the 1986-91 stretch. WSU has this document on the university website. My last year of school I was paying $53 per credit hour for tuition and fees, now an undergraduate resident is probably around $300 per credit hour.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by Shock Top View Post
                  Disappointing an extra hundred bucks a year might cause the new school to fall by the wayside. Short-sided decision in my mind. People don't seem to get that nice new and improved stuff doesn't come free.
                  When you have a certain politicians promising free healthcare, free kindergarten through forever education, free this, free that, a good job guaranteed for everyone regardless of career choice or a living income for anyone who does not want to work and it is unsurprising that these college kids see no reason to contribute to something that should be cost free (and pain free).

Comment

• In an age of skyrocketing cost of higher education and student loan debt (which is made hard to avoid structurally by the tendency to view a college degree as a prerequisite to employment in more and more fields), I am hard-pressed to condemn students for not volunteering to take on even more financial burden for their education. I'm a little surprised that those on this board feel differently since in general the sense I get is that they oppose attempts to get taxpayers to fund more and more government projects and demand a reduction in expenditures over asking the generally public to fund additional spending projects. I'm not saying that there is not a reasonable case for wanting these fees to be voted in, but criticisms of entitlement seems misplaced in my view.
                    "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post

When you have a certain politicians promising free healthcare, free kindergarten through forever education, free this, free that, a good job guaranteed for everyone regardless of career choice or a living income for anyone who does not want to work and it is unsurprising that these college kids see no reason to contribute to something that should be cost free (and pain free).

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                        God, I hate that commercial. I have to say Block's commercials are much better.

Comment

• ShockTalk
                          ShockTalk commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Well, at least you understood my message for putting it here.

• This is one of those situations where maybe not everyone knows all the facts or context of the situation. I've got 2 kids in the engineering program, right now. A couple of years ago, there were additional fees of $50/credit hour placed on engineering students which the university said was to pay for new facilities and faculty/professors in the engineering area. My son received a relatively large scholarship which - thank goodness - they increased the dollar amount of the scholarship that year to help cover the cost of those additional fees. Not that I wanted to have to pay those additional fees, but I could at least understand engineering students paying for engineering improvements (although much of what was to be completed with those additional funds won't be completed until after my son has graduated). But, to charge my kids more in fees for things benefiting the Business School (of which both my wife and I are graduates) is something I didn't support. Same as the YMCA fees - both of my kids already have memberships though the family, and the Y won't even be completed in time for my kids to use - but they're paying for it. Just sayin'...I wasn't disappointed in the outcome.

Comment

• Speculation is that tax return prep will be greatly simplified in the future.

Line 1: .How much did you make?

Line 2: Send it.

Comment

• I believe that a little over a quarter of the students voted on the referendum and was narrowly defeated. I think the business colllege should have done a better job of getting the vote out of business majors. It seems a stretch to expect students to vote to increase their fees on the heels of an increase to fund the new Y. I know years ago when I was taking courses for an MBA from SoCal my rate was almost 10 times more than liberal or fine arts courses since the thinking was that my degree was worth more.

Comment

Working...
                            X