Fine Whiskeys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fine Whiskeys

A good friend of mine gave me two open bottles of Chivas Royal Salute. Between the two bottles they were a little over one full bottle. Chivas Regal is the lowest level of Scotch I can tolerate. The Royal Salute was easily the best whiskey I have ever tasted.

I've never been willing to spend big bucks on whiskey. My opinion was that the difference in quality between Wellers and Makers Mark wasn't worth the difference in price.

Another friend of mine, who doesn't drink, somehow found out about a bourbon named 1843, which isn't available in Kansas. He wanted me to try it and had friends from Kansas City get it there and bring it to him in Wichita.. It was second only to the Cutty Royal in my somewhat limited experience.

I recently got a bottle of the 1843 Reserve (aged longer) and a bottle of the "regular" to compare them. The "regular" is around $25 for 750 ml. The Reserve is around $50 for the same amount. The difference is distinguishable, but not worth double the price. Both are definitely bourbons to drink neat rather than on the rocks. Icing it minimizes too many of the subtle flavors.

Lux Row Distillers offers such a great variety of bourbons, including wheated bourbons. See what surprises it brings in Jim and Mike's review
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.
Working...
X