World Cup 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
    Nvm ... forgot about paid-referee-effect for home team.
    I enjoy watching World Cup soccer but not a diehard soccer fan by any means. I know we have a few knowledgeable fans on this board and am curious about your opinions on offsides penalties. For me the concept is similar to cherry picking in basketball. Similar to basketball, I don't think it should be a penalty. I played soccer through the 6th grade and it was rarely called in any of the games I played in. I was really irked to see the goal overturned by some sort of replay where he was offsides by an extension of a leg???
    Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

There's no such rule as offsides. (sorry, it's a joke among coaches and referees because Americans call it offsides [plural] but the law is offside [singular])

Anyway, I have always wanted to see a small, super high-level tournament played without any offside rule and see what top tier coaches would dream up.

That call in QAT vs ECU game was very, very odd. I rewatched it several times and still find it frustratingly amusing. The stupid leg image they showed wasn't helpful either. There's subtlety beyond just where the guy's ankle was, and we couldn't see any of it.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

One subtlety that most players don't even know is that if you are behind the ball when it's played, you cannot be offside.

So for example, if a guy makes a pass to a wide open net from the end line, and only his own player is there to knock it in, it's legal. The positions of the other team don't matter because all offensive players HAD to be behind the ball.

Even good referees bork that all the time.

Comment

Matches at the World Cup or any professional level for that matter without offside would be a free for all sh!t show. It is most definitely a rule that needs to be a part of the game as long as it is called correctly and consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
            Matches at the World Cup or any professional level for that matter without offside would be a free for all sh!t show. It is most definitely a rule that needs to be a part of the game as long as it is called correctly and consistently.
            Was listening to a podcast where they discussed it. Because it would pull attacking players further up the field and as a result, pull defenders back as well, it would leave the midfield completely wide open. It would take a lot of strategy out of the game and force you to just play with a bunch of fast guys in midfield.
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

Was listening to a podcast where they discussed it. Because it would pull attacking players further up the field and as a result, pull defenders back as well, it would leave the midfield completely wide open. It would take a lot of strategy out of the game and force you to just play with a bunch of fast guys in midfield.
              There are 6 and 8 man tournaments/leagues with current college players and washed up pros that play without offside all the time. To be honest it doesn't change the game that much on these shorter fields, so I'd like to see one tournament with extremely high level players play in an 11 man.

The ability for higher level players to put long balls on a dime allows you to bypass midfield somewhat. There would definitely be a cherry picker hovering around the 18, but probably not more than one. There would be a mid attacker trying to find the new gap between the defender on that cherry picker and the next line of defense. So the field gets extended. But I think without offside, in an 11 man, you would see a crap ton of long balls over the midfield. I think it would become an aerial show and you'd end up with a ton of goal kicks and hurt goal keepers.

But I'd still like to see it as an experiment. :)

Comment

England's possession is better than I have seen in recent Cups and their ability to finish is better. They could be nasty this Cup.

Comment

England's possession is better than I have seen in recent Cups and their ability to finish is better. They could be nasty this Cup.
                  They are a perennial underachiever. But the talent and coaching appears to be there for this squad to go far.

Comment

My wife is 1/4 Welsh so I hope they play well but that's all. I have visited Wales once and they make sure visitors know that they are not English, they are Welsh dammit!

Comment

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

They are a perennial underachiever. But the talent and coaching appears to be there for this squad to go far.
                      Now I can't wait to see France play. France may have their hands full.

Comment

Now I can't wait to see France play. France may have their hands full.
                        "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

I still don't understand that offside call. Convinced it was completely made up and they were trying to cover it like a 3 card Monty/shell game ruse.

England was outstanding.

FIFA getting exactly what they deserve with this cluster F of a tourney so far for the fans. No beer, One Love Armbands going to cost you a yellow (both sides are stupid about this but whatever) and ticket fiasco and security making sure no unacceptable statements are allowed in (clothes etc) is kind of hilarious and sad at the same time.

Comment

Netherlands better get their crap together. Senegal is knocking on their door.

Comment

Dang that blew open for NED late.

Comment

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL LLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X