Top KS Girls Basketball Player And Iowa Commit In Serious Condition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KAKE - Kansas mother, daughter hit by car in Kentucky have returned home

NICKERSON, Kan. (KAKE) - A mother and daughter from Nickerson who, along with two other family members, where hit by a car in Louisville, Kentucky, last month are out of the hospital and back at home to continue their recovery.

Amy and Ava Jones returned to Nickerson, Ava's brother Hunter confirmed Friday.

On July 5, four members of the Jones family were in Louisville, Kentucky, for Ava's AAU basketball tournament when police say a driver under the influence of opioids hit them with his car.

Trey Jones, husband and father, died days later in a Kentucky hospital. Creek Jones suffered a few minor cuts and scrapes, but was otherwise fine. Amy, Trey’s wife, and Ava, Trey’s daughter, suffered more serious injuries. With traumatic brain injuries and several broken bones, doctors told the Jones family the pair's injuries could be life changing.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

WDRB - Ava and Amy Jones detail rehab, surgery and loss as they head home to Kansas

"I can walk without her holding me with a walker," Ava Jones said. "My right knee is still not the best, and my right arm is still not the best."

She no longer wears a brace on her right arm but said she's battling a tremor in her hand.

"It's just hard to stop it moving," she said. "Like, it moves all the time."

Ava's voice is also improving. She said it doesn't hurt to talk but she still struggles with finding words and forming sentences at times.

"It's not like it was back then, but it's stronger than it was," she said.

Amy Jones said her daughter isn't supposed to go back to school for at least six weeks. And that senior year won't be the one she'd long looked forward to. But a few weeks ago, Iowa told Ava the program would still honor her basketball scholarship regardless of if she is able to be on the court.

"It just made me feel awesome," Ava Jones said. "They're just so nice. I didn't mean for this to happen, obviously. The coaches talk to me a lot, call me, Facetime me. I am excited about Iowa. I'm glad I committed there."

Amy Jones said she's working toward returning to school herself this fall. She is the assistant superintendent of the Nickerson-South Hutchinson USD 309 school district. She said she misses being around her students.
      A pretty nice article out of Kentucky with some previously unknown details about recovery and such.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

KAKE - After a week home, Jones family shares update

It's been a little over a week since Amy and Ava have been back home and while they're happy to be back, the toll on both of them is hard to miss.

"I'm a little bit more active, like sitting in my wheelchair longer," Amy said.

Ava is looking forward to playing basketball again.

"(Just) to play at Iowa and play good basketball and play like I used to play. Be better than I used to be," Ava said.

There's so much more that mother and daughter are looking forward to, but even as they look ahead to new memories with their family, husband and father Trey Jones, who lost his life in the crash they survived, is one soul they'll never forget.

"I think when we have Trey's service for his funeral it'll definitely hit home," said Amy.
        They've been through so much, but I can't imagine how difficult that service is going to be for them.

It will also be interesting to see if Ava is able to return to the court and to what extent. I know she has a scholarship no matter what, but if she's able to recover to the point that she can actually play at Iowa that would be a true blessing. I know how hard it can be to feel that something outside of your control has potentially taken your future away from you.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

MSN - Driver indicted in fatal crash with Kansas family

The man police say was driving the car that crashed into a Kansas family in Louisville, Kentucky, on July 5, has been indicted for murder.

A grand jury in Jefferson County, Kentucky, indicted 33-year-old Michael Hurley on:
          • One count of murder
          • Two counts of first-degree assault
          • One county of fourth-degree assault
          • Operating a motor vehicle under the influence
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Services have been set for Trey.

KWCH - Memorial service for Nickerson father set for mid-September

According to Jones’ obituary from Elliott Mortuary, the service will be held on Saturday, September 17 at 11 a.m. at First Church of the Nazarene in Hutchinson.
            This will no doubt be a difficult part of the process for the Jones family.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

KAKE - 'Rest in peace': Family and friends celebrate life of Trey Jones

An additional acknowledgment of that gratitude was made during the service on behalf of the family. Church leadership acknowledged various people from first responders, law enforcement, doctors, nurses, physical therapists and so many others that have made a difference in the Jones family's lives.

"Trey was doing what he loved when he died," said Hutch First Lead Pastor Kent Pederson Saturday. "Traveling with his family and watching one of his kids compete."

Jones' celebration of life included a number of personal memories, touching on a number of achievements throughout his personal life, with all speakers in agreement that his family was his greatest one.

"That was always one of Trey's greatest joys was seeing his children succeed more than he did," said Crag Honas, Trey's brother-in-law.

Other speakers noted how kind he was to students and players he helped coach, and said that he was one of the kindest people they had known.

"Trey is willing to jump in and do anything for anybody and had a desire to make us all better," said Nickerson High School Principal Rick Blosser. "He loved teaching, he loved coaching and he loved the Nickerson Panthers. Rest in peace Coacher."
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

KAKE - Ava Jones Continues To Make Incredible Progress

Video of her rehabbing through basketball in the link. Tried to just link the video but failed.

It's still doubtful she'll ever play again, but it must be therapeutic to get back on the court and work on something she loves.
                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

KWCH - Signing Day for Ava Jones

WICHITA, Kan. (KWCH) - It’s signing down for Nickerson High School’s Ava Jones. The Lady Panther will be signing her NLI with Iowa Women’s Basketball.

12 News will be in Nickerson to capture the moment. Jones said the university’s coaches have been “nothing short of amazing” to her and her family.

Jones tore all four major ligaments in both knees in a July crash while she was in Louisville for an AAU tournament. Since coming home, Jones has been working hard to regain her basketball skills in hopes of making it back on the court.
                  Video of the event in the link.

I don't have audio here at work so I can't hear what she said during it.

It does appear that she's still working through some physical control issues, though some of that could be nerves as well. She appeared to talk a fair amount.

Mom and little brother make an appearance. There are also others that I have no clue who they are. I'm guessing a coach and some grandparents. I think one was the guy that is helping her train.

Regardless, it's a big day for Ava and she has a long road ahead of her, but at least she knows Iowa has her back.
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

KWCH - Derby HS girls basketball team honors Ava Jones

Nickerson High School senior Ava Jones, who recently signed her letter of intent to join the University of Iowa women’s basketball team, suffered traumatic injuries recovery from which is keeping her from being able to play her final prep season. Ava’s father died in the crash. Her mother also suffered critical injuries.

In recent months, Jones reached milestones with her return to school and getting back to practicing on the basketball court. While it’s unclear when or even if she’ll be able to play competitively again at full strength, she’s inspiring others along her journey. In mid-November, the Kansas State University women’s basketball team hosted Iowa, Jones’ future college. To honor Jones, both teams wore shirts showing their support for the Nickerson teen.

This week, a fellow Kansas high school basketball program showed its support for Jones. Inspired by the work she’s putting in and how what she’s already been able to overcome, the Derby High School girls basketball team shared photos of players wearing shirts with the saying, “Every Day Keep Pushing” and “Jones #35.”
                    A nice gesture from one of the top girls basketball programs in the state.
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

A T-shirt company has signed Ava to an NIL deal. Here is the site for the shirts: https://www.raygunsite.com/pages/sea...?q=ava%20jones
                      Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

That's really cool! I hope this info gets around and she sees some real benefit.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Stumbled across this a couple weeks ago while scrolling socials and forgot to come back and post it. Ava has made it to Iowa and joined the team. Her physical therapy will continue in Iowa. Also, Amy recently had another surgery on her leg I believe it was.

KAKE - Ava Jones arrives at University of Iowa, hopes to play basketball

A Kansas high school basketball star who was nearly killed when a car crashed into her family last year is beginning the next chapter of her life at the University of Iowa.

“It feels really good. Just being here, it's been a rough time this year. So even to have this opportunity is amazing," Ava Jones told KAKE news on Monday.

She moved into her dorm on Sunday.

"It’s Hawkeye move-in day!" Ava Jones' mother Amy said in a Facebook group. "Thanks to the players and coaches for welcoming us with open arms and a couple of luggage carts:) After four trips to Target in the last 3 hours I think we are ready to bid Ava farewell."

Louisville, Kentucky police said that on July 5, 2022, Ava, along with her mother Amy, brother Creek and father Trey Jones were hit by a driver under the influence. The crash killed Trey Jones, and left Ava and Amy in critical condition.

Both mother and daughter worked hard on the road toward healing, with doctors telling Ava they were unsure if she would ever play basketball again.
                          I'd love to see her eventually progress to the point where she could actually get back on the court, but even if not, she is set up to get a quality education and make some lasting memories being a part of the Hawkeye family.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                          X