Dogs, We Don't Deserve Them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lost Dog 'Turns Herself In' At Local Police Station

Police officers in England made a new furry friend last week after a lost dog strolled into the station.

Security footage from Loughborough Police Station captured the moment Rosie the border collie arrived and took a seat in the waiting room.

Rosie's owners Steve and Julie Harper said Rosie ran away while on a walk and a firework went off.

"She went and stood with her dad, which she does when she is nervous, and then skedaddled [when the firework went off]," Julie told the BBC.

Police said staff fetched water for Rosie and made fast friends with her before contacting her owners.
    I'm going to believe this was 100% intentional
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

KAKE - 'I wouldn't have woke up': Wichita man says dog saved his life during devastating house fire Sunday

For the first time in the daylight, Revel saw his entire life in a pile of ash after a devastating fire destroyed his home Sunday night.

But in the wake of tragedy, Revel can't help but feel thankful.

"She's my best friend, man. She's a good dog. She's my hero right now. And I really, I'm really proud of her," said Revel.

He says his 6-year-old dog Monroe is the only reason he's alive.

"She didn't even hesitate. She knew something was wrong and she had to get me out of there. And that's what she did," said Revel.

He says it all started when he decided to take a Sunday nap while watching football.

"She jumped on the bed and just instantly was like, nudging my head and whining and like, you know, like a crying kind of like a whimper," he said.

Revel woke up to a thick cloud of black smoke that filled his entire house. Barely able to see, barely able to breathe, he grabbed Monroe, ran down the hall, and barely made it past the flames racing toward his room.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

What a good boy!

Brave Livestock Dog Takes On 12 Coyotes And Wins, Saves All Of The Sheep

A 2-year-old Great Pyrenees livestock dog displayed his heroic actions by protecting his sheep from a dozen coyotes last month.

Casper is still recovering after his encounter with a pack of coyotes nearly a month ago in Decatur, Georgia.

Owner John Weirville said Casper was standing guard over his flock of sheep one night in early November when about a dozen coyotes got too close for comfort. A few coyotes were already inside the pen.

"I could see the coyotes running around in this area. When I got over this way, then Casper took off," Weirville told the local news station.

Casper managed to kill eight of the coyotes, saving all of the sheep in his care. But he disappeared while chasing the rest off.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I can't imagine if my own Luna went missing. So glad this one has a happy ending!

Dog Reunited With Family 7 Days After Falling From Cliff

The mastiff-retriever cross was rescued from a Greater Victoria cliff after miraculously surviving 7 days while trapped alone on a narrow cliff ledge.

It's believed that Luna had chased an animal out of her yard and got lost, somehow falling off a cliff and landing on a two-foot wide ledge. She remained there, alone, as her owner and searchers frantically looked for her.

"It was terrible because it was getting colder and she always sleeps next to me or my daughter," said Saryta Schaerer, Luna's owner.

After she'd been missing for several days, there was a break in the case. Across the water, Ron Cheeke heard Luna's cries for help.

Cheeke recorded the sound and turned it into pet rescue group ROAM. He even went so far as to search the area on boat to try to locate the exact source of the sound.
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Are dogs the best? Dogs are the best!

Dog Protects Two Little Girls For Hours After Getting Lost In The Woods

When Abigail and Cecilia Bourg went missing in the woods behind their home, their parents were frantic.

But their family dog, Artemis, was with the young girls, protecting them until they were found.

Mary Bourg said she searched the whole property looking for the girls with no luck.

"I just start like running around the whole property — six acres — and that's when I called [my husband] and said, 'They're gone'," Mary told CBS News.

The girls, ages 7 and 4, had wandered more than a mile from the property.

Police and neighbors searched for the girls for four hours, until someone heard Artemis barking.

Mary said that when the search team got close, Artemis "wasn't letting them by the girls."

"He was circling them, growling at the people to protect them," she said.
            There's video of them being reunited with their parents as well as a small news clip/interview where apparently they blame Artemis for them getting lost in the first place. But I love to see how these sweet and loyal creatures won't hesitate to protect their family.

I've only once witnessed one of my girls do anything like that and that's when my oldest decided she needed to protect her little sister from an overly playful puppy that was scaring the little one. She stepped in between her sister (a sheltie) and my friends very playful pup (a husky) and started growling and showing her teeth. First and only time I've see that from my sweet girl.

Again, dogs are the best. In a lot of ways, we should really try to be more like them.
            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

How bad were the new owners?

Newly Adopted Dog Goes Missing, Shows Up At Shelter And Rings Doorbell

A rescue dog named Bailey recently went missing from her new home in Canutillo, Texas.

On January 29, the Animal Rescue League of El Paso (ARLEP) posted on social media that a former resident had gone missing.

"This beautiful girl- Bailey- has gotten loose in the area of Mesa and Sunland Park, on the west side. She is very friendly. If you spot her or find her, please call 915-892-9695 immediately," the shelter wrote.

Bailey, who had recently been adopted from the shelter, went missing from her new home. Her new owners contacted ARLEP to inform the shelter about the dog's disappearance.

Within hours there were multiple sightings of Bailey -- but it turned out the shelter did not need any help.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I'm putting this here. It's not a direct dog related story, but it is all about dogs and the impact that one unsuspecting woman has had on millions over the decades.

Author of 'Rainbow Bridge' Poem About Animal Heaven was Finally Found - And was Clueless About its Fame

Around the US and UK, dozens of animal hospitals have a catch-all when it comes to grieving pet parents who have lost a furry friend: they give them the poem Rainbow Bridge.

Yet this poem that has touched millions of peoples’ hearts has remained largely authorless for years until the sleuth work of an art historian and cat owner Paul Koudounaris, who managed to turn up the original poet decades after Rainbow Bridge became famous.

Her name is Edna Clyne-Rekhy, an 82-year-old Scottish artist and animal lover who traveled the world, and failed to notice her poem’s popularity.

The story begins with Koudounaris’ work researching pet cemeteries, and the constant references he found to Rainbow Bridge. Looking back over the use cases of what he determined to be the single most important text in animal mourning, Koudounaris pinned it to a 1994 appearance on the advice column Dear Abby, the most syndicated column in American history.

A reader told Abby Van Buren that she had received a copy of Rainbow Bridge from her local Humaine Society chapter in Grand Rapids Michigan. From that debut to her 100 million readers, Rainbow Bridge began appearing on everything to do with the loss of a pet—Hallmark cards, veterinary clinics, etc.
                As someone who just mourned the two year anniversary of my furry best friend, this hit me. Dogs are called mans best friend for a reason. They truly are special angels that we definitely do not deserve but are so wonderfully blessed to have.

The imagery of the poem stirs up a lot of feelings in me. I remember thinking about my childhood Sheltie sitting near the Rainbow Bridge waiting to welcome my sweet furry friend after she passed. It made me both smile and cry, as growing up, that dog was pretty much my best friend too. And I have an another aging girl who may have saved me from going off the deep end years ago when I brought her home. I don't know how much more time I will get with her, but I do try to cherish every minute I can. The one I lost two years ago was kind of out of the blue.

Anyway, I had to share this somewhere as I sit at work fighting back the tears that are trying to leak out and hoping nobody comes by my desk for awhile.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge. When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, your pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water, and sunshine, and friends are warm and comfortable. All the animals who have been ill and old are restored to health and strength, those who were hurt are made better and strong again, like we remember them before they go to heaven. They are happy and content except for one small thing—they each miss someone very special to them who had to be left behind. They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are shining, his body shakes. Suddenly he begins to run from the herd, rushing over the grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cuddle in a happy hug never to be apart again. You and your pet are in tears. Your hands again cuddle his head and you look again into his trusting eyes, so long gone from life, but never absent from your heart, and then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Maybe I'm just soft, at least when it comes to dogs, but this story hit me in the feels. Probably because I can try and put myself in their place. Also probably because I think I'm on the verge of losing my oldest and it's hard to watch, knowing that the end is coming which has me in a more emotional state anyway.

Enough about me.

Dog Returns Home After 166-Mile Alaskan Sea-Ice Odyssey

Mandy Iworrigan, who lives in Gambell on St. Lawrence Island, said she was visiting Savoonga in March with her kids when two of the family's three dogs, Starlight and Nanuq, disappeared.

Each of her three kids has a dog of their own, and they are treated more like a little sibling than a pet, Anchorage Daily News reported.

Three weeks later, Starlight showed up in Savoonga.

"My girls went to go play out, and they said, ‘mom, mom, mom -- there's a dog that looks like Starlight,'" Iworrigan said. But it was not a look-a-like. Their dog had somehow gotten herself three dozen miles to the next town over. "I was like, 'Stop the snowmachine! Starlight! What are you doing in Savoonga?'"

But Starlight's brother Nanuq, a 1-year-old Australian shepherd belonging to her 8-year-old daughter Brooklyn, was still nowhere to be found. Iworrigan looked around town the next day, to no avail, so she left to go back home with some friends keeping an eye out.

About a month after Nanuq disappeared, people in Wales, 166 miles from Gambell on Alaska's western coast, began posting pictures on Facebook of what they described as a lost dog.

"My dad texted me and said, 'There's a dog that looks like Nanuq in Wales'," Iworrigan said. She got on Facebook and found the pictures.

"I was like, 'No freakin' way! That's our dog! What is he doing in Wales?'" she said.

She used airline points to get her dog back to Gambell on a regional air carrier last week and filmed the happy reunion.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

This dog literally saved her life.

Woman's Life Saved By Dog Who Found 1-In-22 Million Donor On Beach

A pet Doberman sniffed out a "perfect" kidney donor for its 44-year-old dying owner.

44-year-old Lucy Humphrey was told she had 5 years to live by doctors. They said the odds of her finding a donor was 1 in 22 million.

Lucy spent years on the waiting list until she found her savior by total coincidence on a Welsh beach.

She and her partner, Cenydd, had taken their dogs Jake and Indie to Barry Island Beach for the day -- and Indie kept running off to a stranger about 100 yards away and would not leave her alone.

"Indie went over like three times, back and forward to her," Lucy explained. "She was minding her own business, campervanning on her own. Eventually Cenydd went over to apologize, and we got chatting and invited her over to our barbecue."

The three started chatting, eating and drinking. The stranger Indie was bothering turned out to be Katie James, 40, from Barry. When Lucy mentioned the fact she couldn't drink alcohol as she was on dialysis, Katie revealed she had recently joined the kidney donation register to make an altruistic donation.
                    What would we do without dogs?
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

A fun survey of dog owners, and as the owner of a herding breed, I'm not surprised.

These Breeds Were Named 'America's Most Spoiled Dogs' in a New Poll

Do you own an Australian Shepard, Border Collie, or Corgi? According to a new poll, you might just own America’s most spoiled dog.

A full sixty percent of the 2,000 dog owners surveyed swear that they own the “world’s most spoiled dog”. One common link: two-thirds of them are talking about a herding dog, like the three named above.

Non-sporting dogs like Bulldogs, Boston Terriers, and Shiba Inus came in second place for the nation’s most luxuriated breeds, earning 64% of the vote. In third place with 59% are terrier breeds like Russell terriers, Scottish Terriers, and Staffordshire Terriers.

Similarly, 79% of herding dog owners claimed their dogs live like royalty at home. An overwhelming majority (96%) said they spoil their pets in a wide variety of ways and 37% treat their dogs so well, they’d take the chance to switch bodies with their pups for a day if they could.

When asked what they would do for that day, respondents said they’d play all day long (47%), sleep in until noon (42%) and sleep where they usually wouldn’t be allowed to (37%).
                      If you ask me, we don't deserve dogs so we sure as hell should spoil them any chance we get. They do so much for us with companionship and can have a positive impact on our mental and physical health. Take care of those four legged wingless angels. We don't get enough time with them as it is.
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Here's a cool story about a specific breed of dog being used to protect the little penguins of Middle Island, Australia. These little birds were nearly wiped out before the conservation began and now they're thriving once again. There's also an 8 minute video at the bottom of the article.

Big White Dogs Save the World's Smallest Penguin in Australia

Just off the coast of Warrnambool city, Australia’s Middle Island is home to some very small residents, at the center of a big achievement.

The island is the only place in Australia where one can find the little penguin, which as the same suggests, is the world’s smallest—standing just 35 centimeters tall.

Starting in 1991, sedimentation and tidal patterns created a short window during the year when a tidal causeway allowed access to Middle Island from the mainland, which foxes quickly discovered and used to devastate this ground-nesting bird population.

Enter a rather unlikely hero. A local chicken farmer named Swampy Marsh had no professional background in conservation, but what he did understand over many years of keeping chickens was how to defeat or outfox foxes.

Running up to 5,000 chickens free-range, Marsh used Maremma dogs as guardians. These great big white pooches, officially known as Pastori Maremma-Abruzzesi owing to their Italian origins from the coastal region of Maremma, were excellent protectors of Marsh’s flock, and he figured that since little penguins are equally as defenseless against foxes, the same protection scheme would work.

And it did; though officially no dogs were allowed on Middle Island, the severity of the little penguins’ plight convinced Warrnambool city council to give it a go. Marsh then arrived with his dog Oddball and got to work.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I need to know more about how this began. But this story by itself got me emotional. The video at the bottom of the article more so.

Dog Shot During Robbery Is Given A Hero's Send-Off At Hospital

A courageous canine named Luck was celebrated by his community after making a triumphant recovery from a harrowing robbery incident that left him injured.

The resilient golden retriever was shot during the robbery attempt and he spent 54 days in the hospital.

Local residents, touched by his story, rallied together to support his journey towards healing.

After three successful surgeries and weeks of intensive treatment and rehabilitation, Luck finally received the green light to leave the hospital.

As he stepped outside, a crowd of well-wishers greeted him with applause and cheers.

Tears of joy flowed freely as Luck wagged his tail, basking in the love and adoration bestowed upon him.
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

German Shepherd Becomes a Surrogate Dad to Abandoned Ducklings (WATCH)

A German Shepherd has taken a clutch of abandoned ducklings under his wing and become their ‘very protective’ surrogate dad.

The dog named Ben recently had a BFF relationship with an adult duck that flew away unexpectedly, so perhaps he sensed that the newly-hatched ducklings were related.

Ben and the fledgling brood bonded immediately and now he spends most of his days watching over them as they sleep, eat, play, or have a bath.

He even barks at the family tabby cat if it dares get too close to his fluffy little family.

Julie McGuire lives in Motueka, New Zealand where the ducklings were found abandoned in a stream by orchard workers who watched for eight hours but the mother duck never returned.

So the 35-year-old woman agreed to care for them in her home until they could survive outdoors on their own.

Julie says their dog Ben is “extremely curious” and immediately wanted to know what was going on in the room where the newborns were being fed and napping in a cage.

“He’s very protective. He watches over them and makes sure the cat doesn’t get too close.”

“They deserve the best life and I am just happy we could help some of them survive, and Ben has had fun with them growing up.”
                            There's a 96 second video at the bottom of the article showing Ben looking over the ducklings and keeping the cat away. He's such a good, gentle boy.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Caught On Camera: Golden Retriever Protects 4-Year-Old From Bear

A courageous golden retriever successfully chased off a bear that had wandered into the family's property, ensuring the safety of a 4-year-old boy who was playing outside.

The incident was caught on surveillance video (above) at the family's home in Sherman, Connecticut.

Gregory Grant said his 4-year-old son Gavin was walking through their yard when he spotted the bear just ahead of him. As you can see in the video, he became frightened and started to run away.
                              Video in the link.

We are so blessed to have dogs by our sides.
                              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

My dog would have welcomed or tried to play with the Bear. Not all dogs are protective types of dogs, and bad dogs to own, are usually bad because of their owners, and lack of training.

I have a good dog who wouldn't hurt a fly, but he would be more like this story of the dog who welcomed a thief to his garage. The thief scratched the dogs tummy, and proceeded to steal a $1300.00 bike from the garage.

A golden retriever became an unwitting accomplice to a $1,300 bike theft after the suspect stopped to give out belly rubs before riding away
                                • The San Diego Police Department shared footage of a man stealing a bike from someone's garage.
                                • The footage shows that before the man left with the bike, the owner's golden retriever came outside.
                                • Rather than barking at the stranger, the dog befriended the man, even letting him rub his belly.
                                https://www.insider.com/burglary-sto...e-theft-2023-8

Comment

Working...
                                X