Dogs, We Don't Deserve Them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
    I grew up with a black lab. Had a yellow lab for the first 18 years of my marriage. Swore I'd never have another pet. Now I have a black lab blue heeler mix.
    Your lab lived to be 18 or there was more than one?

Comment

I love my Laberdoodle. She’s black, thick haired, tough (she had a battle with a momma moose all winter), and follows my kids everywhere. There’s no doubt in my mind she would take on a bear for my kids.
      People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Three Collies during our marriage. Great family dogs, loyal and very smart. They do need to be brushed frequently to keep their hair under control.

Comment

At least he isn’t driving
          Attached Files

Comment

I have had dogs most of my life. Growing up I had a Dalmatian that was my best friend. We are on our second Rhodesian Ridgeback. They are such great dogs. They have both been very high energy and hard headed. Violet loves to run and will chase birds all day long. I still have Mila's collar and bandana hanging on the mirror of my truck. It broke my heart when we had to put her down. I don't think I will ever be without a Rhody again.
            Go Shocks!

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post

A family member has a twin to this one... he's actually a pretty good mongrel (mutt).

Who's a good boy?

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Your lab lived to be 18 or there was more than one?
                One. He died. Actually, my wife offed him while I was out of town.
                There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

#45 house here.

Comment

I grew up with a Brittany kennel, but I had a German Shepard and a Beagle. My beagle died when I was in seventh grade. I had just gotten out of wrestling practice and had come off the mat and got my bell rung on the concrete, went home with a pounding headache, drug her out of the whelping box in the whelping pen and dug a hole. It was foundational in learning to deal with grief. Every boy needs an ol yeller/where the red fern grows moment in their life.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post
                      I grew up with a Brittany kennel, but I had a German Shepard and a Beagle. My beagle died when I was in seventh grade. I had just gotten out of wrestling practice and had come off the mat and got my bell rung on the concrete, went home with a pounding headache, drug her out of the whelping box in the whelping pen and dug a hole. It was foundational in learning to deal with grief. Every boy needs an ol yeller/where the red fern grows moment in their life.
                      I lost my childhood sheltie the day of our first football practice my 7th grade year. I ended up not attending practice as mom had called the school to have me miss that day. We got her shortly after my little sister was born since apparently everyone that asked me what I wanted while mom was pregnant, my answer was always a puppy dog. She was basically my best friend growing up. Was always in my room when I went to sleep and there when I woke up. Sweet and gentle. I knew she'd been acting off for a while and had been trying to get my mom to take her to the vet. She finally did, and they recommended putting her down then and there and she wasn't having it. Not without us kids having an opportunity to say goodbye. Sadly, she passed before we got out of school that day of kidney failure I believe it was. Needless to say I was pretty devastated and I think I broke down somewhere between leaving the school and reaching my mothers van. She hadn't said anything, but there was only one reason I wouldn't be attending practice in my mind and you could see it on her face when I finally got there. She had her wrapped up in a blanket and I believe I just laid with her and cried for I don't know how long.

We never got another dog after that, and to this day, my father won't allow my mom to get one. He's a heartless bastard of a man who has never showed much emotion or affection towards anyone or anything, but losing that particular dog apparently cut deep even for him. Pretty sure if any of us three kids had passed, he would have taken it better. Thankfully my mother lives nearby and takes care of my girls anytime I'm away. I'm pretty sure she probably goes over even when I'm not actually away to see and play with them, and I'm okay with that.

My most recent loss was due to a blood clot. I came home from dropping my brother and his wife off at the airport and she wasn't at the door to greet me and I knew something was wrong. Found her in the backyard laying in the snow shivering and you could just tell something was wrong. The clot apparently cut off most of the circulation to her back legs and she couldn't use them. Took her to the ER and they thought it was a disc in her back, which apparently isn't uncommon, and said surgery would need to be done within 8 hours for best results and gave me three options to on where to take her. One was OU, there's another great vet clinic in KC that I've had friends use for surgery, but I chose K-State as it was the closest. They discovered the clot and we immediately put her on some medication in hopes of getting it to dissolve, at least enough, to give her a chance. Sadly, it didn't work out that way. I will say though that everyone there was great and they did a tremendous job of keeping me informed and updated every few hours. A few of them also remarked about how great her spirit was and that she was insanely sweet even during the worst parts of the process. For months afterwards, my oldest would constantly go lay down next to what I always called Shai's bed. It was the doggy bed that she almost exclusively laid in as she could see me while I was working from home or when sitting on the couch watching TV from that bed. My oldest wouldn't get in it, she almost did once, but she laid down next to it often. I still catch her do it from time to time, but not near as much as she used to. And it wasn't something she ever did prior. Like me, I think she was a little lost without her too.

I'm done for now, as I'm sitting at work stirring up memories that don't need to be stirred up here.

Dogs are beautiful souls.
                      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I have a Weimaraner, and German Shepherd and an English Pointer. The Weimaraner and German Shepherd frequently discuss invading France.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                          I have a Weimaraner, and German Shepherd and an English Pointer. The Weimaraner and German Shepherd frequently discuss invading France.
                          Does the English Pointer just look the other way?
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

I’m fond of Frenchies also… I’ve always liked the ‘short snouted’ breeds.

There’s not too many breeds I don’t like. I’ve had mutts, lhasa apso, boxer, german shepherd, german short-hair, pointer, miniature schnauzers (had a pair), shih tzu, basset hound, boxer, and brittany… that’s a lifetime of good pals.
                            "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

One thing that pisses me off about Wichita and the metro is the fact there are no advanced diagnostic or surgical facilities here. An area of 500k people and I am having to take my dog to Manhattan or Stillwater? By the time you get an appointment, the poor thing could have deteriorated past the point of recovery. These vet clinics that call themselves hospitals are stretching it.

Comment

Originally posted by ABC View Post
                                Does the English Bulldog view an Irish Setter as a separatist or is the Setter conforming?

Comment

Working...
                                X