Dogs, We Don't Deserve Them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dogs, We Don't Deserve Them

Just figured I'd share this for the other dog lovers out there. I always feel that my favorite breed doesn't get the love and recognition it deserves, but was surprised to see it come in at #28 out of the 197 AKC recognized breeds.

I believe I read that the Lab comes in at #1 for something like 31 consecutive years. I can't complain, they're good dogs. Though I still don't understand the love of poodles (#5). I've only been around one while growing up, and it was the most violent, mean spirited dog I've ever encountered. There are a few others I don't fully understand in the top 30 or so, but to each their own.

One ranking that really caught me off guard though was the Border Collie (#31). They're widely regarded as the smartest breed of dog out there. They're also beautiful, loyal and protective. Great family dogs. I know some of us will lean towards smaller to mid sized dogs due to space, but of the larger sizes I would have guessed that the Border Collie would have been much higher. Collies are also highly intelligent, beautiful, loyal and protective and come in at #38, right behind that rat they call a dog in the Chihuahua.

I can appreciate many different breeds and understand that we all have different likes and needs. And different breeds have different traits that fit different people. It's one of the beautiful things about our canine friends. I have friends who've had a number of different breeds and I've been fans of them all, some more than others, but I get it. They're one of God's greatest gifts to mankind. And while I will always have at least one Sheltie, if I ever get property and a larger house outside of town somewhere, I'd definitely add a larger dog to the mix for security reasons, and it would most likely be a Border Collie. Though there are a few other gentle giants that are very protective that I would have to consider as well.

Anyway, I just thought this was a fun list to see and I know I'm not the only dog lover on this board. Anyone else have a favorite breed?

https://www.akc.org/expert-advice/do...reeds-of-2021/
    Last edited by SubGod22; April 26, 2023, 09:06 AM.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

I've always wanted an English Bulldog... unfortunately, they can have several health disorders.

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Originally posted by WstateU View Post
      I've always wanted an English Bulldog... unfortunately, they can have several health disorders.

One thing about knowing dog breeds is you know their genetics and what they may be predisposed to. At least in some cases, you can work to minimize certain effects and take steps to help them have their best possible lives based on that knowledge.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I’d say Pugs are #2 on my wish list… opps, one of these guys is ‘going to town’.

Comment

I have a German Shepherd and a Bulldog. Both were well bread to minimize health issues, and both have some health issues. My Bulldog has occasional seizures, so we restrict his driving. Many other characteristics make him “less than hardy”, but as expected for such a genetic freak. His personality is absolutely incredible and it would be a shame not to give him a chance at life due to some minor illness.

My first Shepherd had hip displasia in his thigh light years, but was otherwise solid. My current girl stop making pancreatic enzymes, so we have to give her special food, but other than cost, she’s fantastic!
          Livin the dream

Comment

Some of those super smart dogs aren’t that popular as they require a high degree of supervision.
            Livin the dream

Comment

I have had a Boston Terrier growing up that was a great companion as well as smart. Later I adopted a mixed terrier from the Humane Society and she was a smart and active dog. Later had a German Shorthair that was a great hunting dog and very protective of the kids. At the same time the wife had a miniature poodle which I think was the smartest of all of them and very gentle disposition. One daughter has a Border Collie the son a German Shorthair. We now own a King Charles Cavalier. I'm not a Lab fan or Golden Retriever because of the hair but I do like the Doodle versions of these dogs. Loved each and everyone of those dogs.

Comment

Standard poodle owner here.

Sorry to hear of your prior experience with one, but mine is one of the nicest, most loyal dogs I have ever been around. He is quiet, and has never gotten agressive or mean with anyone, and I have two small kids who pester the heck out of him. He can be a little anxious at times when he can't see outside, but what dog can't?

Wife wanted a dog that didn't shed, and I wanted a medium to large sized dog. She saw one for sale on FB 5 years ago, and we weren't going home alone once we went to meet him.

I would happily get one again.

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  Just figured I'd share this for the other dog lovers out there. I always feel that my favorite breed doesn't get the love and recognition it deserves, but was surprised to see it come in at #28 out of the 197 AKC recognized breeds.

I believe I read that the Lab comes in at #1 for something like 31 consecutive years. I can't complain, they're good dogs. Though I still don't understand the love of poodles (#5). I've only been around one while growing up, and it was the most violent, mean spirited dog I've ever encountered. There are a few others I don't fully understand in the top 30 or so, but to each their own.

One ranking that really caught me off guard though was the Border Collie (#31). They're widely regarded as the smartest breed of dog out there. They're also beautiful, loyal and protective. Great family dogs. I know some of us will lean towards smaller to mid sized dogs due to space, but of the larger sizes I would have guessed that the Border Collie would have been much higher. Collies are also highly intelligent, beautiful, loyal and protective and come in at #38, right behind that rat they call a dog in the Chihuahua.

I can appreciate many different breeds and understand that we all have different likes and needs. And different breeds have different traits that fit different people. It's one of the beautiful things about our canine friends. I have friends who've had a number of different breeds and I've been fans of them all, some more than others, but I get it. They're one of God's greatest gifts to mankind. And while I will always have at least one Sheltie, if I ever get property and a larger house outside of town somewhere, I'd definitely add a larger dog to the mix for security reasons, and it would most likely be a Border Collie. Though there are a few other gentle giants that are very protective that I would have to consider as well.

Anyway, I just thought this was a fun list to see and I know I'm not the only dog lover on this board. Anyone else have a favorite breed?

I suspect that most people who want a poodle or poodle mix dog, want a dog that doesn’t shed. Hypo-allergenic dogs are very popular right now. I, too have some experience with miniature poodle and miniature mix poodles, and have found them to have very easy going personalities.

Comment

My list:

1. Lab
                    2.Lab
                    3. Lab

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post

Why ruin a perfectly good lab by making half of it a poodle?

Comment

Originally posted by shoxlax View Post

Why ruin a perfectly good lab by making half of it a poodle?
                        A family member has a twin to this one... he's actually a pretty good mongrel (mutt).

Comment

Dogs are the best! I've had 2 lab mixes as an adult. Best dogs and friends I've ever had. I am not sure I can get another one. I love having them, but after having to say goodbye twice, I don't think I can do it again. Hardest thing to do.
                          "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                            Dogs are the best! I've had 2 lab mixes as an adult. Best dogs and friends I've ever had. I am not sure I can get another one. I love having them, but after having to say goodbye twice, I don't think I can do it again. Hardest thing to do.
                            I had to say goodbye to one of mine 16 months ago. It may be the most difficult thing that I've ever done. As I tell people, she was what I call my anchor, as when the heavy depression would set in over the years, she kept me from drifting too far into the darkness. She was also my shadow and best friend. I have another one that's a year older than she was, and now deaf, who also has a way of calming me. The two young ones, one I'd had about a year prior to losing my buddy has become my new shadow. And I did bring home a puppy a couple of months ago that has been a lovely pain in the ass at times. Super sweet and funny.

The goodbyes are insanely hard. But at least right now, the years of joy and pure love are worth the pains at the end. Maybe that will change in time, but I simply can't imagine living life without them by my side. Even though I still lose myself at times thinking about my departed baby girl. But other times I feel nothing but love and thankful for what I was given over those 11 years.
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

I grew up with a black lab. Had a yellow lab for the first 18 years of my marriage. Swore I'd never have another pet. Now I have a black lab blue heeler mix.
                              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Working...
                              X