No announcement yet.

General News in the 316

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downtown office building hits the market.

WBJ - Downtown Wichita's Riverview Building hits the market for nearly $4M

One of downtown's most visually prominent office buildings is back on the market after nearly getting a new owner earlier in the year.

In recent weeks, the seven-story Riverview Building, located on the western edge of Wichita's core, went up for sale. It's priced at $3,975,000.

The move follows news that the 79,254 square-foot building's two anchor tenants — The Law Co. and its subsidiary, LK Architecture — are departing for the downtown Ruffin Building by year's end.
    Sounds like the previous deal was terminated when The Law Co. and LK Architecture decided not to renew their lease. Them being there was part of the deal to buy.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• PBR - Unleash The Beast returns to Wichita, Kansas for first time in more than 13 years Dec. 13-14

For the first time in more than 13 years, and just third time in history, PBR’s (Professional Bull Riders) premier Unleash The Beast will buck into Wichita, Kansas, taking over INTRUST Bank Arena with PBR Wichita Dec. 13-14.

For two nights only, more than 30 of the best bull riders in the world will go head-to-head against the sport’s rankest bovine athletes, showcasing the ultimate showdown of man vs. beast in one of the most exciting and unpredictable live sporting events to witness.

The upcoming PBR Wichita will mark the fourth event of the new individual season as riders vie for early points in the race to be crowned the 2025 PBR World Champion.

PBR’s elite Unleash The Beast last bucked into Wichita in September 2011 when Ryan Dirteater (Hulbert, Oklahoma) went a perfect 4-for-4, logging two monster, 90-point rides, en route to one of nine wins for Dirteater before he retired from individual competition in 2020.

Other past Unleash The Beast PBR Wichita winners are: Austin Meier (2010 – Kinta, Oklahoma)

While the Unleash The Beast has not visited Wichita in more than a decade, the city has welcomed the organization’s expansion series, the Pendleton Whisky Velocity Tour, annually since 2014. This past April, Marcelo Procopio Pereira (Rinopolis, Brazil) rode his way to the winner’s circle by going a perfect 2-for-2 inside INTRUST Bank Arena.
      Bull riding isn't in my circle of major interest, but I do know hosting such an event can be good for the city and that bull riding is relatively popular in the region.

Tickets go on sale tomorrow morning and the link to buy tickets is within the article if you're interested.
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• MSN - Final public meeting on K-254 corridor Oct. 9

In October, the public will learn about the final recommendations for improving the Kansas Highway 254 corridor.

The Kansas Department of Transportation is hosting its final public meeting on the recommendations for the Corridor Management Plan for Butler and Sedgwick counties on Oct. 9 in Benton.

The highway sees more than 10,000 vehicles daily and is the main corridor between Wichita and El Dorado. K-254 has seen many fatal accidents over the years, and with increased development in northeast Sedgwick County and western Butler County, safety concerns are growing.

KDOT will present the final recommendations on Wednesday, Oct. 9, from 5:30 p.m. to 7 p.m. at Circle Middle School, 14697 SW 20th St., Benton.
        I'm still a little jaded that they're doing all of this but nothing is expected to actually happen around here for something like 15 years. Hopefully that was someone misspeaking and that activity on improving this stretch of very dangerous highway begins much sooner.

And if/when the Integra facility goes in, there will need to be something done sooner rather than later for all of the traffic and housing we'll see along this stretch of road, as Kechi, Belle Aire, and Benton are surely to benefit from development, both residential and commercial. It may not be much in the grand scheme of things, but Benton does have a development in its very early stages that should add another 100 homes or so within the next couple of years. And that development could help start other future developments there as well.

I know Bel Aire is continuing to build out mostly apartments and townhouses I believe right now, but that's not looking to slow down with or without Integra. I also know there's an area near K96 and Greenwich that should see much more residential growth over the next few years as well. I'm sure Circle Greenwich will also have to be expanded again in the not too distant future.

And the growth of Park City could also see K254 see more activity in the near future as well.

I really hope KDOT doesn't drag their feet on getting this rolling. The communities along K254 have been calling for something to be done for at least a decade as it is already.

And if El Dorado ever gets its act together and brings in a few new businesses with all of the land they have for such, it could make a huge difference. Hell, having the road improvements may help them get some of that business.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Interesting. Not sure if this will impact anyone here.

KSN - Road around Wichita's Sim Park to close nightly starting next week

The City of Wichita said the access road to Sim Park, Botanica, Arthur B. Sim Golf Course and Old Cowtown Museum will start closing overnight.

The closure is due to safety and security concerns. It will start on Tuesday, Oct. 1. The closure will begin at 9 p.m. and end at 6 a.m.

Wichita City Council member Brandon Johnson said signage will be posted along Amidon Avenue and Museum Boulevard near the entrances to Sim Park and Botanica to warn those entering.

“This step is being taken to further safeguard the park and museums and discourage unsafe activity in the park and surrounding neighborhoods,” said Johnson. “The area has seen reported increases in street racing and property crimes.”
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• A new ramp closure starting soon at Kellogg and I-135.

KAKE - Ramp from Kellogg to I-135 to close until late December

The exit ramp from westbound Kellogg to southbound I-135 is closing for roadwork that's expected to last until the end of the year.

The Kansas Department of Transportation said the closure, beginning October 1, is necessary for milling, patching and a concrete overlay. Drivers should follow the signed detour on northbound I-135 to exit 6B and 2nd Street, then turn left on southbound I-135 to west Kellogg exit 6A.

The work is expected to conclude by late December, conditions permitting. The map below outlines the project area and the detour route.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• It sounds like we have a very smart, very motivated, young man here in Wichita who could be onto some big things.

WBJ - Wichita software developer behind viral TikToks starts AI language app

College wasn’t cutting it for Wichita software developer Grant Johnson.

“I jokingly say that school was getting in the way of my education,” he said. “It was really time consuming and I would be drained by the time I'd come home and I'd want to work on my projects.”

Since teaching himself how to code in high school, Johnson has started projects that combine programming, artificial intelligence, robotics and more. He logs his experiences on TikTok, where he has over 61,000 followers, including his creation of a robot called Humanoid that can impersonate historical figures using AI, and Vision Vest, a vest that helps blind individuals navigate walking without a walking stick. One of his top videos has garnered more than 9 million views.

After his first — and only — year at Wichita State University, Johnson’s projects landed him a job at Invista, a chemical manufacturing subsidiary of Koch Inc., at age 19, where he still works full-time.

Now, at 21, Johnson is starting his own business.

In March, Johnson said he started working on the concept of a language learning app called Chatterbox, which will provide users with specialized learning courses using AI.

Johnson said language-learning apps on the market provide a generalized experience for users and primarily focus on memorizing words. His app, he said, will use AI to create specific, real-life-based courses to meet each user’s motivations for learning the language.

“So you're not just memorizing these words, but you have application to it as well,” he said. “That plays into some of the motivations you have to learn, whether that be travel, a new job, a new spouse, anything related to that. You're able to effectively learn what you need to learn. Instead of having to have a general way that most people learn, it can be specialized for you.”

Johnson added that personalized features on apps in the market are also expensive, making them unaffordable for some users.
              Sounds like he already has a 12 person team of linguists and programmers to get this language app moving. First language to be done is Spanish, followed by English, French, and Portuguese.

He hopes to have the app ready for the public in December. I'm also quite confident we're going to be seeing/hearing more from him down the road. Wichita needs people like this
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• This is pretty cool.

Eagle - Former Wichita basketball star makes 'surreal' acting debut in Netflix movie Rez Ball

Serendipitous timing has allowed a former Wichita basketball star to make her acting debut in a Netflix film produced by NBA superstar LeBron James.

Analyss Benally, a 2016 Heights graduate, said it will be a “surreal” feeling on Friday when Rez Ball, a film centered around a Native American high school basketball team, makes its nationwide premiere on the popular streaming platform.

Not only does Benally appear on screen as one of the players on the girls basketball team, but she also scored some speaking lines in the movie that is drawing rave reviews.

“Just the thought of it kind of gives me a tingle in my whole body,” Benally told The Eagle. “I don’t think it’s going to fully hit me until I see it on Friday.”
                This young ladies story is pretty interesting. The movie was filmed in her hometown in New Mexico and touches on subjects far too common for those who have lived on reservations. Her family ended up in Wichita when she was 12 and her older sister received a basketball scholarship to Kansas Wesleyan. Sounds like a lot of people who leave the reservation struggle and her family wanted to make sure they were still close so she wasn't alone while experiencing a massive culture shift.

Benally eventually earned a scholarship to San Jose State and has been playing professionally in Europe.

She sounds like an impressive young woman who uses her time back in the states to travel around the country putting on free camps and speaking to kids in hopes of inspiring more Natives to step out of their comfort zone and shoot for the stars.

Wichita may not be her home town, but it's where she grew up and matured as a person and a player and I think she's someone we can all embrace and be proud of.

RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  Interesting. Not sure if this will impact anyone here.

KSN - Road around Wichita's Sim Park to close nightly starting next week
                  This will piss off the Wichita married/homo/rump ranger crowd, lots of guys cruising for wiener in this area and this will put the brakes on a lot of that action.

An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

• Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post

This will piss off the Wichita married/homo/rump ranger crowd, lots of guys cruising for wiener in this area and this will put the brakes on a lot of that action.
                    Maybe their wives are finally getting the police behind these actions. STD’s have been happening for years in Riverside, Park Villa, and Oak Park. You have to go to Broadway to get to those who pay money or drugs, for “action”.
                    Last edited by Shockm; 1 day ago.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Maybe their wives are finally getting the police behind these actions. STD’s have been happening for years in Riverside, Park Villa, and Oak Park. You have to go to Broadway to get to those who pay money or drugs, for “action”.
                      The disc golf ran them out of Oak and Park Villa and the family activity ran them out of Riverside. The Pavillon at Sim Park, just a hundred yards from Children’s Botanica, is the hot spot. This will put a kink the activity in that area and just move it somewhere else.

An “Old West” Texas analysis and summary of Mueller report and Congress’ efforts in one sentence:

"While we recognize that the subject did not actually steal any horses, he is obviously guilty of trying to resist being hanged for it."

Comment

• Originally posted by JJClamdip View Post

Someone is a little butthurt over it.
                        Last edited by Ta Town Shocker; 1 day ago.
                        Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

Working...
                        X